• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Fall 2k3 Preview

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that Freddie from Cromartie High reminds me more of Haggar from Final Fight than Freddy Mercury.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
Zac has seen Planetes and I haven't yet nor have I read anything else but what he wrote about it yet either, so I can't really say whether or not I think a comparison to the "Magnetic Rose" sequence of Memories is apt or not, just, from the way Zac described it, would it be wrong for me to assume the series can more easily be described as "Patlabor in space", at least in tone? (By Patlabor, I mean the semi-comedic/semi-dramatic TV and the two OVA series, not the more serious films.) If that's the case, I'm sold.

I was sort of hoping he'd review the Sailor Moon live-action series, just so I could see how many times he'd fit the phrase "train wreck" into a single paragraph. Or maybe he likes it... from the impression I get about his tastes from the board, his reviews and "Miso Soup", I think not, but ya never know. I like it a lot, but I was expecting something really goofy, campy and cheesy and it exceeded even my wildest expectations in those regards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:10 am Reply with quote
I went ahead and left out Sailor Moon, since reviewing it is a waste of time. Everyone knows it's cheese of the highest order, and those who love it will flame me to heck and back for 'misunderstanding that it's supposed to be sucky' and if I go too soft on it people will flame me as well, saying 'why aren't you hard on this show, it sucks!'. So, rather than get entangled in that, I'll just chuck it. It isn't technically anime anyway.

And you're right, I'm just not big on Patlabor, so I didn't think of the comparison. Planetes is a little closer to this comic for middle-aged ladies about a woman in a similar situation in an office building, but Patlabor works as a comparison too. Minus all the mecha and politics.

The guy does look a bit like Hagar but they show a fantasy sequence of him singing on stage and then a bunch of other shots likening him to Mercury. In real life, I suppose Mercury kinda looked like Hagar too. I wonder if they based Hagar on Freddie?

-Z
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I just wanted to say that Freddie from Cromartie High reminds me more of Haggar from Final Fight than Freddy Mercury.

Hell, the first time I saw that pick, I thought it was Haggar.

Well, there are a few interesting shows, Planetes and Peacemaker Kurogane being the most overtly appealing. Avenger does interest me, but I see ways it could go bitterly astray. And I'll be looking out for Galaxy Railways, I'm a sucker for Matsumoto at heart.

I'm really curious to see if any of these shows betray Zac's impressions. But we'll have to wait quite a while for that.

Last edited by Delthayre on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah. And Viewtiful Joe's a Capcom game, not a Nintendo one.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:13 am Reply with quote
Any reason Tsukihime didn't make the list?

Shame about the Gilgamesh review. The first ep was a sleeper, but it seemed to redeem itself in the 2nd ep.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
In the year two-thousand... in the year two-thousand!

Yaoi fangirls are horrified when Saiyuki Reload turns out not to be a sequel to the 2000 TV series Saiyuki but, rather, a sequel to the 1960 movie Saiyu-Ki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:53 am Reply with quote
"Any reason Tsukihime didn't make the list?"

Didn't have a raw when I did the guide. I heard it was bad anyway. I've heard Gilgamesh gets better by episode 2 from like 4 people now, so I'll go back and check it out.

-Z
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:03 am Reply with quote
I would've liked it better if Freddy from Cromartie High looked like Freddie Mercury from the "No Synthesizer" era of Queen, but ah well.

It's good that Ai Yori Aoshi is going to get better. I was summarily upset when by the end of the first disc (FIRST DISC) I saw what I thought was going to be a nicely touching romantic story I could enjoy with my beloved turn into yet another b**bfest I'd watch with the guys on New Year's Eve.

Avenger and Galaxy Railways are the other two that have me biting at this list. Guess the licensing speculation time is going to start soon.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:32 am Reply with quote
Zac you forgot to mention how Suzumiya looks like they pasted Sakura from CCS head onto a H game girls body
course talk about calling the show I was watching the second ep of KIMI GA NOZOMU EIEN spoiler[ and I jokenly said "bet when he finnaly shows up for there date she gets hit by a truck minutes before he shows up" and I was right]

AI YORI AOSHI: ENISHI "please god let the harem Genre die"

Bottle Fairy only watch if you are addicted to cuteness.

CHARGE! CROMARTIE HIGH: is great the randomness of its humor is great tottaly agreed with your Review minus the Azumanga comment.

Theres still handfull of shows coming down the pipeline also like UFO princess Walkrui season 2 and a couple others.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:54 am Reply with quote
Tsukihime... bad?! *clutches chest at the horror she just heard* It's moving slow, but it's a great show and manages to keep you intrested at it's pace. *Still isn't quite sure what the heck is going on, but is having fun with it* The animation is great *just googles at the bgs sometimes*, the music is great, and bah, who told you it sucked?! >.> Oi, I see two eps and I become a raging fangirl. Excuse me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:38 am Reply with quote
Well, littlegreenwolf, some people like everything and some people like nothing. I can't give everything a positive review because someone else might like it, even though I didn't. That isn't real criticism.

I'll watch Tsukihime, but I heard it was pretty bad from multiple sources. Too late to add it to the guide, but ah well.

-Z
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it safe to assume that Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito was also not reviewed due to the lack of a raw as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I skipped Yami because I already had 15 shows to do inside of a day and a half (watching, writing both the synopsis and the review, doing all 15 images and captions, and also doing the HTML). Some stuff had to go, and I figured yet another show based on a hentai game could probably be left aside.

-Z
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe how bad the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien review is at representing the series as a whole... For the record, there're already two "sex scenes" in this "family show". Shows you that a review of the first episode really isn't a very good way to judge a series (yeah yeah you mentioned that already).

And for the record, the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien game had a critically acclaimed storyline... Not that this little bit of info would have gotten through to you anyway... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5