• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Freedom Riders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote
I so totally knew this thread is going to be a gathering for the "I meh Haruhi" types. Razz

To be fair you guys probably need a place to say that without being flamed by the legions of Haruhiists out there in the wild internets, and ANN with its strict moderation is probably a safe haven of sorts. Wink
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Drama is tricky. Without drama, life is boring, but once you saturate it, you'd rather defenestrate someone than be part of it for another minute.

What's defenestrate? [heads to wiki] Okay, it says that "Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window. "

Wait, that's it?? You might as well have just said "...you'd rather throw someone out of a window..." Laughing Here I thought it'd be something cool like making a guy explode.

Anyway, I saw a clip of Freedom a while back and thought it looked "meh". From the sound of your review it sounds like it didn't get any less "meh". I don't normally agree with all of ANN's reviews, but in this case I'm glad I didn't defenestrate my money for this. Wink
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Is Haruhi worth all the trouble, is a very good question. When I saw it, it was something. I wouldn't call it great though, because I don't see how it could be. It's interesting to say the least, because I can consider it to be not so much a typical anime. I can however, attest that it has some nice fetishes in there that some people have probably wanted to fantasize about, now here's their chance.

I have to say, with the things I have been hearing about Beck, it sounds like a promising show. Having on idea of what to expect in the show, it will be interesting to hear both sides of the Pacific, the Japanese dub versus the English dub. I'm normally not one to pay attention to the English dub, since a lot of them sound like they were voiced by amatuers, but you never know in a series, and I'm hoping Beck is one to pull it off for me.

I saw only a few episode of Haruhi a year ago, and so far I think that the storyline may be better compared to Beck; it's just that Haruhi is receiving so much hype that people tend to dislike the show.

As for these fetishes, would liking the quiet girl w/ short purple hair and glasses, compared to other two, be a fetish? (I'm not sure if that's the accurate description, it's been a year since I watched it)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Girls with glasses would be considered a fetish, yes.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

The reason why Freedom is so expensive is because it's a "combo" disc, meaning it's both DVD and HD-DVD. Standard non-combo HD-DVD price is about 25 dollar while others are 29.99. Combo disc can cost 5 to 10 dollar more, they are totally unnecessary imo.

The reason why Freedom is so expensive is because it's a Bandai Visual disc who retails all their dvds at $40.

DRWii wrote:
Quote:
$40 limited editions on all volumes?

Appearently, you found a deal. They actually retail for $60.

meh I found the 2nd volume of Haruhi for $40 dollars at Best Buy, or was $45? They had the non-special edition for $25, that's real cheap. The first SE volume was like $50.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I was also "meh" about Haruhi, too. I just didn't really fall for the show like so many did and still don't get the hype. I saw up to 9 episodes and than just stopped.

I am interested in checking out Beck, though. I got to hear Ayres sing a song from Beck at Anime Boston and really liked his preformance. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I'm not to much against Haruhi, but more against the fandom. I think it's just extreme fanboys/fangirls I came in contact with, but they really got annoyed that I found fault with a lot of the show and from then I just hated the show.

"Men's minds are as variant as their faces." -- Gen'l Washington.

Really, those overzealous Haruhiists need to get a life. Personally, I like MoHS (to me at least, it's a show with intelligence and a load of humor) , but to go and harass you because you don't agree with them on your choice of a show is ridiculous.

You're right that it probably won't go up there in the anime pantheon with Macross, Gundam, Lupin, and Nausicaa (among others) but it's still a pretty entertaining and engaging program on different levels. By turns, it's a wacky comedy (Tune in next week to see what silly costume Haruhi forces upon Mikuru!), a bittersweet romance, an action story and a very high-concept rumination on the very nature of reality itself.

As to the guy complaining about the special editions -- you are aware, I trust, that they do sell the regular discs too, and you aren't forced to have to buy the insane amount of extras to get the DVD alone. (out of all the Haruhi extras, the only one that I would have had any interest in was the "dan-cho" armband -- why do I need a pillowcase with the characters on it, [and since I'm both prematurely balding (28 and I already have the majestic head of hair of Patrick Stewart or Julius Caesar Laughing Embarassed ) and male, I really am not in the market for hair ribbons Laughing ...]? )
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:

As for these fetishes, would liking the quiet girl w/ short purple hair and glasses, compared to other two, be a fetish? (I'm not sure if that's the accurate description, it's been a year since I watched it)

Probably more like a preference. The Japanese do have a term for men who like women with glasses (don't remember what it is at the moment, tho'), but I doubt it would rise to the level of a "fetish," unless you're saying to your wife/girlfriend/S.O. "honey, put these industrial safety goggles on. They make you look sooo hot..." Razz Laughing Razz Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
More disappointed with the MoHS rating, but that is one of those series you either "get" big-time or you don't.

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. (For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

Sorry for venting at you, Key.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
ichiro3923 wrote:

Probably more like a preference. The Japanese do have a term for men who like women with glasses (don't remember what it is at the moment, tho'), but I doubt it would rise to the level of a "fetish," unless you're saying to your wife/girlfriend/S.O. "honey, put these industrial safety goggles on. They make you look sooo hot..." Razz Laughing Razz Very Happy

The term Kyon uses in MoHS is meganezokusei ( 眼鏡属性 ) which would literally translate as megane = glasses + zokusei = attribute, or element. Another term seen more often in anime would be meganekko-moé (眼鏡娘萌え), which indicates that meganekko ("glasses girl") is one of that person's moé properties - they will tend to find female characters who wear glasses to be more moé than similar or identical characters who do not. From the way I've seen both terms used, meganezokusei probably comes closer to the level of a fetish in that the glasses are a major element in what a man finds sexually attractive.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:
More disappointed with the MoHS rating, but that is one of those series you either "get" big-time or you don't.

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. (For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

Sorry for venting at you, Key.

WOW! The sensitivity of anime fans totally amazes me. Is GET really an elitist word now. I mean come on. You are either into the humor in MOHS or you aren't. It's as simple as that. Get means you don't connect with it, you don't get it's appeal. It's hardly a slam or elitist. I don't GET Eva. I don't mind when people say that. I will never understand the appeal of giant robots. But I don't knock people who do so I just say i don't get it. Quite frankly it is the least offensive way to say someone isn't into something.

Obviously I love Haruhi but I think it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's always the case with humor. I have a fairly low brow sense of humor so it's right up my alley. To me it's the funny factor that makes it worth while. I do think these episodes are good representations of the show, so Bamboo if you did not like these you won't like the rest.

Beck must be pretty good. Everyone whose seen it likes it. Clearly I must check it out though rock anime isn't my thing.

I sampled Karin as a fansub and didn't even finish the first episode. All that gushing blood made me ill. I just dont get it.

Last edited by sabriyahm on Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi gets a rental? I'm honestly not surprised, as it's one of those "love it or hate it" shows in my opinion. Me, I'm one of the many who love Haruhi. The funny thing is, Key refers to it as an "otaku fest" in his reviews, and yet Haruhi was one of the very first anime I ever watched and I still fell in love with it regardless. Now that I've seen lots and lots of anime, I can appreciate TMoHS even more now, since I understand a lot of the terms more (i.e. "moe") and many of the references and parodies have become much more apparent over the course of a few rewatches. I can honestly say that Haruhi is one of my all time favorite series. It makes my top 25 pretty easily.

Karin getting a rental I can completely agree with especially since the English dub isn't anything to rave about. I'm still going to buy it though, since I fell in love with the series via fansubs, so watching it subbed is good enough for me. Yeah, it's not anything spectacular, but it sure is a welcome twist on the vampire genre. Not to mention the titular (sorry, couldn't resist that pun Anime smile + sweatdrop) character is absolutely adorable. Anime smile Yes, it's pretty pointless as far as the story goes, but the show doesn't try to take itself too seriously, which is a good thing in my mind. Based on all that, Karin is just too cute to pass up, but I'd still recommend renting it before buying if possible, as it's definitely not for everyone.

Wow, though, is Beck really that good? Perhaps I should give it a shot then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
The funny thing is, Key refers to it as an "otaku fest" in his reviews, and yet Haruhi was one of the very first anime I ever watched and I still fell in love with it regardless.
I agree, it was my first fansub ever in fact. And what an experience.

Damn that show for ruining the legality and scratching away the last vestiges of propriety in my anime-watching habits. Curiosity got the better of me and now I can never look back to the light side ever again. Confused
Jedi General wrote:
Wow, though, is Beck really that good? Perhaps I should give it a shot then.
Important point: Beck is different. To be honest I've never met anyone who disliked it before (but I've also not known many anime fans and most are the shonen types) but it is something altogether different from the usual anime fare.

Think of a realistic-looking Tokyo populated by realistic characters doing realistic (but fun) stuff and you've got yourself Beck.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. ...

WOW! The sensitivity of anime fans totally amazes me. Is GET really an elitist word now. I mean come on. You are either into the humor in MOHS or you aren't. It's as simple as that. Get means you don't connect with it, you don't get it's appeal. It's hardly a slam or elitist. I don't GET Eva. I don't mind when people say that. I will never understand the appeal of giant robots. But I don't knock people who do so I just say i don't get it. Quite frankly it is the least offensive way to say someone isn't into something.

Actually, I see what Cloe is getting at. The term "get" is oftentimes used nowadays as the default response to those who don't like a show.

"Oh, you didn't like XYZ? You just didn't get it."

The word "get" connotates an intellectual understanding of something, or a deeper understanding of something that isn't readily on the surface. So rather than fans having a legitimate reason for not liking a show, or not understanding the appeal, suddenly it's them who don't "get" the show, as though what's wrong with the equation is them, and not whatever product it is they're consuming. You can "get" something, but still not like it.
sumgai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. ...

Actually, I see what Cloe is getting at. The term "get" is oftentimes used nowadays as the default response to those who don't like a show.

"Oh, you didn't like XYZ? You just didn't get it."

The word "get" connotates an intellectual understanding of something, or a deeper understanding of something that isn't readily on the surface. So rather than fans having a legitimate reason for not liking a show, or not understanding the appeal, suddenly it's them who don't "get" the show, as though what's wrong with the equation is them, and not whatever product it is they're consuming. You can "get" something, but still not like it.

I never realized "get" was such a strong word. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6