• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zombie-Loan.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
Zombie-Loan is an anime based off its manga. It's produced by XEBEC M2 who also helped with the In-Between Animation, Key Animation, and Production Assistance of Ouran High School Host Club. It's animation quality is fair I suppose. To me the character and background designs were all normal, I didn't really see anything that really sets itself differently from other anime shows.

In episode one during the fight scene with what I think is a zombie dog, the whole background turned into different shades of green to try and show a zombie atmosphere. The fight in the first episode seemed to be minor seeing as how it was just a dog. I guess the story itself is interesting enough but I see myself watching this only when I'm waiting for one of my other favorite anime titles to be released. The background music seemed to be conventional to me, nothing I heard really moved me in anyway. The opening songs has a good beat but it's not really my taste, I just don't really like the screaming in it. As for the ending song I guess it was alright, it some-what reminded me of My Chemical Romance; has a nice melodic tune and meaningful lyrics. It could be just me or the fact that I have watched too much magical girl series or it's late but I found the first episode hard to swallow.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
How ironic -- I had just finished watching the first episode about an hour or two ago. I had actually decided to look into it because a friend of mine on deviantART had posted about it in her journal and we were making jokes about the title (we mostly commented about how it sounded like some cheesy 60s horror movie title). It was entertaining and the story concept was pretty different from your average shônen flair, but the characters and storytelling didn't particularly wow me. If anything, I would finish watching the series to see what happens to the characters; whether or not they achieve their goals before the ring around their neck turns pitch black and they truly die. I might keep watching this series to see if it gets any better, since sometimes the first few episodes aren't necessarily the best.

I wasn't fond of the opening at all, but the animation for it wasn't bad even if the song didn't really suit my taste.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
In order to appreciate Zombie Loan you have to like Peach Pit's art style. They have a very unique way to styling their characters and this show plays on that really well. I know a lot of people who loathe their art style and so werent thrilled with the first two episodes because it tooks so much their their manga art. Dears has their art style and Rozen Maiden sorta kinda had it but in moderation

I for one like Peach Pit's art. I wouldn't consider it the greatest but it it very unique.

I liked the overly melodramatic background music even it was was conventional. I like the art because it is close to the manga source, and it really brings Peach Pit's characters alive.

The OP and ED songs leave a bit to be desired though. They really do not seem to fit the show.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Why I'm not watching this show after Episode 1:

- OP was a bunch of screaming.
- I like Houko Kuwashima, but in this case her voice does NOT fit the main character.
- Main character is annoying anyway.
- Chika and that other guy's spoiler[hand sharing thing was creepy.]
- Chika and that other guy's spoiler[archetypical one-mindedness.]
- School is too gloomy, everyone else is a bunch of clay statues.
- The other workers spoiler[in Zombie Loan are creepy.]
- A cliche magnet by the end of the episode.
- I don't see how a concept like this could carry far anyway.

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
hmmmmm sounds intresting, will have to check it out
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
- A cliche magnet by the end of the episode.

Fortunately, they don't go the obvious route. spoiler[The two guys take on some additional debt to prevent her from dieing].
I've made it a policy not to blow off a series before the fourth episode, but I'm not getting my hopes up on this one.
Top four reasons I'll probably drop it:
It seems pretty generic.
I'm stilled pissed at Xebec for Negima.
The OP is really, REALLY annoying.
Both lead males are jerks.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
The main character is on a very fine line between cute and irritating for me, and I was actually pretty pleased when Shito told her off for not valuing her own life enough. I actually find it a nice change of pace that the two main male characters are jerks instead of the typical hero, but they still seem like generic bishônen at the moment. I'm going to continue this series for a few more episodes mainly because the story seems like it has some potential and the art attracts me, but if it doesn't keep me hooked within the first ten episodes I might drop it. But jeebus, I'm going to mute the computer or skim past that horrible opening song.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Why I'm not watching this show after Episode 1:

In all honesty the manga has not had a good approach for me, and this one I am convinced that the anime will not do much better, why waste my time and money? There's a nice story to it, believe me, but there's not enough development, story is taking too long to kick off (I've read up to volume 3 and I'm still not getting anything from it). In a sense, at this point, it's a lost cause for me.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame to hear that the manga isn't much better, because I usually resort to the manga if the anime is a bomb. But it really shouldn't take more than three volumes to establish the setting, story, and characters; most manga usually really begin to kick off the story development by the third or fourth volume.

I think that this series is really only good for people who are into the original manga; otherwise, there isn't anything that sets it apart from other anime like it, such as Shaman King or Bleach, which were much better developed.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, the OP is really growing on me. The more I listen to it, the more I feel that the screaming isn't really out of the place and instead adds a unique touch to the song. Since it falters at the end, it sounds more like screams of desperation (which I guess kinda fits the series in its own way) rather than some Hard Metal-esque "YAAAAAAAH!" just for the hell of it.

I still maintain that the show so far sucks though because of all the reasons listed above. Then again, I was wrong about Kyoshiro (which, after the first episode, I declared, "this series has no hope, it already drove itself into a deep pit of suckiness, with no way out", and the series improved massively), so I might watch Episode 2 and see if the series improves. If it still sucks though, that's it, I give up.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
I've watched up to Ep 3 now and it still holds my interest. I am not so much as fan of the OP as I am the ED. MUCC is such an awesome band.

But I had high hopes for the manga. It saddens me to hear that it isnt very good. But I guess it will be out here soon enough so I can read it myself.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
I am actually liking this, i guess it is the zombies (love shows about the undead and well monsters in general). I like the plot to, I mean it isn't anything great yet but I think I will give it 5 episodes.
Jarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
I watched 3 episodes of zombie loan and it doesnt really gain much interest.

First of all it just looks like average zombie hunting anime. There isnt much action in the fighting scene. The female protagonist is quite annoying being such a wimp. The plot seem nothing interesting as of now.

The only main catch now would probably be the lesbian zombie and how the female protagonist being tease and made used of.

Just hope that the later episodes can give this anime some kick in watching otherwise it probably be a anime that u watch if u are bored.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote
You mean these?

My interest has certainly peaked! Laughing
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mmm...so has mine darkchibi07 Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2