• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:
The Return of MasterYeshua Exclamation
Evangelion
Trigun
GunGrave
Full Metal Alchemist
Ruroni Kenshin/ Samurai X
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Welcome to the NHK
Gundam series
Wolf Rain
Serial Experiment Lain
Ghost in the Shell
Death Note
His and Her Circumstance
Hellsing
Soul Taker
Berserk
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Noir
ROD

Addams Family
Wild Wild West-loved it as a kid & can still watch it & it's better than Naruto easily
Rescue Me
Supernatural-horror fan that I am, I love this show & it's better than YuYu Hakusho
CHarmed up to about Season 4- I found the gals to be more realistic female heroines than Buffy & I'll take it over Utena
Brisco County Jr-I still have to get that box. I loved that show.
Brimstone-I wish they'd release a box. what I remember was great, but it was so long ago. John Glover rocked as the Devil.
Dinosaurs-just finished the 2nd box.
Twilight Zone

And the thing with male nudity is I sort of agree with a local radio show host who says naked women are nice to look at by the guys--there's not all that much which is why I really don't mind if we see "dangly parts" on guys as this DJ calls them (guys & gals have dangly parts). A naked butt on a guy is nice. Seeing all the way down, but not quite there is good enough. Seeing it on guys is more -wow-we got full frontal surprise than-mmm we got full frontal because usually the full frontal on guys is more in the artistic-like Go Nagai & his love of people fighting naked. (Personally, I'd think one would want to protect the dangly parts with something, but if it was good enough for the Olympics...) Although, yeah, Devilman may be naked, but he is also fuzzy down there. And we get a lot of the "invisa-p"--everything BUT the dangly is drawn so it must be in another dimension. Or our fighter has somehow found a way to hide it from view( Or is horribly maimed? Eunich fighter?).

If your serious with this list, fail. I think most of our peers would concur. If I hear the word "dangly" one more time, I'm afraid I'll have to avoid this thread.
unsinkmbrown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
For the majority of human history the male figure was the epitome of artistic nudity. This began with the ancient Greeks. Its only really been maybe within the past 200-300 years that the female form has slowly become more prominent in art than the male. One of the reasons for this is that men were prohibited from using women as nude models. All Renaissance nude women were based off of the study of male anatomy; that has lead to some very strange looking women in Renaissance art.

Last semester I got into a discussion with several friends who were taking a figure paining class about male vs female figure. I started it by noting that I preferred to draw (I don't paint) women over men and I wondered what the preference was of my friends (if any). The consensus was that women tended to prefer the female form (partially because they were more familiar with it) and the male form tends to be more blocky and less challenging than the curves of the female form. As there was only one man in the discussion, I can't say too much on the male point of view but he didn't mind painting women.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
I'm deadly serious by the way.

4.0 GPA doesn't stop you from being a damn fool though.

Your personal attachment and emotional investment in a series, possibly coupled with how many episodes are produced (which is more often than not based on how toys/merchandise and advertising space are sold, NOT actual content quality, which is wildly variable) doesn't determine the actual quality nor inherant 'superiority' of anything from anywhere. All television is just that- television. A means for people to sell, to tell stories, and whatever else. What goes in to that is whatever those who are producing and writing and such have exposure to, or can conjure up.

Subseqeuntly, Galactica is awesome.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:

Wow. You must truly despise shonen jump. I have seen over 250 series, this list is merely off the top of my head.

My personal anime collection numbers over 2000 dvd representing well over 300 titles, not counting the 100 or so titles I've seen & not bothered to buy.

Noir did nothing for me. To each his own
Eva doesn't impress me. To each his own.
Even the manga-ka had major issues with His & Her Crcumstances. I felt sorry for her at the Q & A I sat in on where fan after fan kept asking about the stupid anime & she kept trying to be polite.
Animes based on games like Gungrave all are lacking for my money.
Wolf's Rain was another pretty title but the story was lacking.
For a comedy. FLCL was pathetically un-funny I smiled at 1 joke in 6 eps. Excel is funny. Papuwa is funny. Bobobo is funny. Dr Slump is funny. Martian Successor Nadesico is funny. Hare+Guu is funny.
Soul Taker borrowed too heavily from other titles to be held in such high esteem.
The bishies in Utena are pretty, but the title suffers from being a guy's fantasy of what tough gals are about. Again, Charmed for it's first 4 seasons was better at portraying females in hero roles without being Buffy, Storm & other male fantasies of what women heroes should be.
Berserk fell apart in the final eps.
The 3rd season of Kenshin fell apart also. Kenshin was average.
I won't get into how insane the Gundam titles are. Like Trinity Blood. they are best watched with one's brain disengaged as far as the politics go since it's about the same logic as the hippies used in the '60's (what if they gave a war & nobody came? wow) . I usually start hoping someone will kill the annoying chick about halfway thru & they never do.
Haven't seen the DeathNote anime since I don't download. I work hard for my money & I figure the people who make anime deserve to be paid for their hard work. I'd be damned pissed if someone stole my work. Read all of the manga-it was good, not perfect. Particularly the final volume had some issues.
You can have ROD. I was unimpressed with it.
YuYu Hakusho, & Naruto are average shonen titles

Stuff I've very much enjoyed lately include Demon Prince Enma & Hellsing Ultimate. Kyo Kara Maoh is always fun & that's all I expect from it. I was surprised they had some good animation in Shonen Onmyoji consideringt bishi titles like Gakuen Heaven & Princess Princess usually have average animation, relying on the pretty boys to sell the titles to the female audience. The El Hazard Magnificent World OVA Geneon is re-releasing is much better than I remember it being. The Vampire Princess Miyu OVA is much better than I remember it being on the old VHS copy I had, maybe the ability to change tracks helps. The first Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales was better than the 2nd which was interesting for the historical info & interesting as a horror title, but blending the 2 sort of dulled the story.
Saint Seiya is a better shonen title than YuYu Hakusho.
Zenki is better shonen than Naruto.
Gokudo is better shonen than Naruto,

Twilight Zone is recognized as a classic. To even dream an anime could be superior to the themes it investigated is pathetic. I've seen anime use the same themes I've seen on old Twilight Zone eps.

For all the anime I've seen hit the environmental themes, none have been as biting as Dinosaurs.

Brisco County was incredible. Bruce Campbell is better than anime.

I was discussing male nudity in anime with jetz, not you. You can't be that thin-skinned about naked dudes. God knows we gals put up with enough naked females in anime--all we get is barbie-breasts(no nipple) in the name of family-friendly unlike countless shonen titles that are drawn very well, but with a certain part of the male anatomy most guys seem to hold in rather high esteem missing.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
Wow. You must truly despise shonen jump. I have seen over 250 series, this list is merely off the top of my head.

I would hardly say I despise Shounen Jump. Some of their stuff is mildly enjoyable. But how can you possibly put those on a list of the greatest Anime ever? If youve actually seen 250 different Anime (which to be honest, I find questionable) and have arrived at this list as the cream of the crop...I don't like to say someone has bad taste. w/e floats your boat. However, I will say you have tastes that differer greatly from most people.

MasterYeshua wrote:
You forgot to mention the 4.0 GPA. I'm deadly serious by the way.

If you need to slap something like this onto your posts Id say youre in trouble.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
highest quality Anime ....

GunGrave
Soul Taker
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach

I happen to personally like every series on that list, except for Soul Taker and Yu Yu Hakusho. But to consider any of the above as the "best anime TV has to offer" really makes anime look BAD.

None of the above series have any significant literary value, or Soul Taker (which I don't like) has any originality whatsoever...

Most of the above shows are among the best of that their formulas (Shonen Tournament in the case of DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho and Naruto) has to offer, but they are all relatively formulaic, and anything that is cut from a cookie cuter mold has no place in this discussion.

If you showed me those shows, told me they were the best anime, and I didn't know better, I'd have very little respect for anime.

-t
RyojiKajiLynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Well I watch a lot more anime than I do American TV. Tend to find it more interesting and different if not necessarily better. There’s plenty of average and bad anime out there after all and even some good stuff I don’t personally care for. Twin Peaks and Six Feet Under are the only series I enjoy as much as my favorite anime. I have a weakness for dysfunctional suburbia. The Sopranos is also brilliant. That’s only three, but I’d say they should be up for consideration from MasterYeshua. Hope my first post wasn’t too painful for every one.

Twin Peaks
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos

If I can think of any others I’ll post them.
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:

I challenge anyone who disagrees to generate an all time list of American shows to match.

Teen Titans
Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League
Samurai Jack
Superman: The Animated Series
Justice League Unlimited
Megas XLR
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Rocko's Modern Life
Angry Beavers
Pinky and the Brain
Animaniacs
Futurama
Simpsons
Looney Tunes
Duck Dodgers
Codename: Kids Next Door
Dexter's Lab
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Fairly Oddparents
Danny Phantom
Flintstones
Jetsons

Getting kind of bored now...anyone else want to add to the list?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
I laughed at Zac's fake Harry Potter spoilers about Ron killing Hermione, Harry and Draco being gay lovers and Hagrid being secretary for farming while Voldemort is a politition with his first presidential term. Laughing

Yeah, idiots like to ruin Harry Potter for people because they think it's funny. Eventhough it will destroy their lives if a spoiler is similar to the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince spoiler. But I just hope nobody good dies in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:

If your serious with this list, fail. I think most of our peers would concur. If I hear the word "dangly" one more time, I'm afraid I'll have to avoid this thread.

Dangly.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:
highest quality Anime ....

GunGrave
Soul Taker
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach

I happen to personally like every series on that list, except for Soul Taker and Yu Yu Hakusho. But to consider any of the above as the "best anime TV has to offer" really makes anime look BAD.

None of the above series have any significant literary value, or Soul Taker (which I don't like) has any originality whatsoever...

Most of the above shows are among the best of that their formulas (Shonen Tournament in the case of DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho and Naruto) has to offer, but they are all relatively formulaic, and anything that is cut from a cookie cuter mold has no place in this discussion.

If you showed me those shows, told me they were the best anime, and I didn't know better, I'd have very little respect for anime.

-t

Allow me to elaborate to clear up these misconceptions with my all time list. I've been watching anime for 7 years now and have watched over 250 series. I came up with this list in about 15 minutes. I didn't post this list to be the end-all be-all, 100% accurate, unquestionable, representation of anime's best. A completely accurate, all inclusive, end-all-be-all list, would take many hours of careful thought and debate. As I said before, this is simply spur of the moment, off the top of my head. Having said that, except for a few titles, I do believe the list is fairly accurate. But we're missing the point here. If you disagree with my list, generate your own and then compare it to an all time TV list. I have no doubt of Anime's superiority.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:

My personal anime collection numbers over 2000 dvd representing well over 300 titles, not counting the 100 or so titles I've seen & not bothered to buy.

Noir did nothing for me. To each his own
Eva doesn't impress me. To each his own.
Even the manga-ka had major issues with His & Her Crcumstances. I felt sorry for her at the Q & A I sat in on where fan after fan kept asking about the stupid anime & she kept trying to be polite.
Animes based on games like Gungrave all are lacking for my money.
Wolf's Rain was another pretty title but the story was lacking.
For a comedy. FLCL was pathetically un-funny I smiled at 1 joke in 6 eps. Excel is funny. Papuwa is funny. Bobobo is funny. Dr Slump is funny. Martian Successor Nadesico is funny. Hare+Guu is funny.
Soul Taker borrowed too heavily from other titles to be held in such high esteem.
The bishies in Utena are pretty, but the title suffers from being a guy's fantasy of what tough gals are about. Again, Charmed for it's first 4 seasons was better at portraying females in hero roles without being Buffy, Storm & other male fantasies of what women heroes should be.
Berserk fell apart in the final eps.
The 3rd season of Kenshin fell apart also. Kenshin was average.
I won't get into how insane the Gundam titles are. Like Trinity Blood. they are best watched with one's brain disengaged as far as the politics go since it's about the same logic as the hippies used in the '60's (what if they gave a war & nobody came? wow) . I usually start hoping someone will kill the annoying chick about halfway thru & they never do.
Haven't seen the DeathNote anime since I don't download. I work hard for my money & I figure the people who make anime deserve to be paid for their hard work. I'd be damned pissed if someone stole my work. Read all of the manga-it was good, not perfect. Particularly the final volume had some issues.
You can have ROD. I was unimpressed with it.
YuYu Hakusho, & Naruto are average shonen titles

Stuff I've very much enjoyed lately include Demon Prince Enma & Hellsing Ultimate. Kyo Kara Maoh is always fun & that's all I expect from it. I was surprised they had some good animation in Shonen Onmyoji consideringt bishi titles like Gakuen Heaven & Princess Princess usually have average animation, relying on the pretty boys to sell the titles to the female audience. The El Hazard Magnificent World OVA Geneon is re-releasing is much better than I remember it being. The Vampire Princess Miyu OVA is much better than I remember it being on the old VHS copy I had, maybe the ability to change tracks helps. The first Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales was better than the 2nd which was interesting for the historical info & interesting as a horror title, but blending the 2 sort of dulled the story.
Saint Seiya is a better shonen title than YuYu Hakusho.
Zenki is better shonen than Naruto.
Gokudo is better shonen than Naruto,

Twilight Zone is recognized as a classic. To even dream an anime could be superior to the themes it investigated is pathetic. I've seen anime use the same themes I've seen on old Twilight Zone eps.

For all the anime I've seen hit the environmental themes, none have been as biting as Dinosaurs.

Brisco County was incredible. Bruce Campbell is better than anime.

I was discussing male nudity in anime with jetz, not you. You can't be that thin-skinned about naked dudes. God knows we gals put up with enough naked females in anime--all we get is barbie-breasts(no nipple) in the name of family-friendly unlike countless shonen titles that are drawn very well, but with a certain part of the male anatomy most guys seem to hold in rather high esteem missing.

Okay, all valid points. We could debate an all time best list for hours, but we're missing the point. The point is if you were to create an all time best anime list and then compare to an equal all time best TV show list, Anime would be victorious. The sheer number of titles you've watched shows that you're obviously more experienced than me. Create your own lists and then compare; with that number of titles to chose from I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion as I did.

You misunderstand me, I just don't like the word "dangly." It's as simple as that.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:

spoiler[Dangly.
]

There.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
May I remind you all:
Teh Rules wrote:
Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.
Really, I should have given that first massive list of anime the editing axe when I first saw it, but anway, no more "X is better because [list]" posts, because that doesn't prove anything about US TV or anime being better.

I'm sort of in the camp of "Anime > US TV and cartoons," but to be perfectly honest, I don't watch enough of the latter to make a true judgement. Back in 1999-2002, I did watch a lot of US TV like Friends, Dawson's Creek, Ally McBeal, Boston Public (I'd liked the David E. Kelley stuff ever since Picket Fences), Survivor, and the trashy yet highly addictive MTV soft-core soap opera Undressed. (C'mon, where's the DVD-release of that one???) I'd lost faith in most domestic cartoons ever since Ren & Stimpy changed the landscape from the toy-marketing action series of the 80s and early 90s to the low-budget poorly animated bathroom humor that pervades even to this day. Still, I still have a soft spot for some of the greats like Simpsons, Batman TAS, X-Men (early 90s version), Futurama, Family Guy, Gargoyles, Daria, Beavis & Butt-head (what junior-high-aged male in the mid 90s didn't like B&B?), and even South Park and ATHF, in small doses that is.

The problem was that in 2002, I moved out of the dorms and into a house with no cable for my senior year of college, which greatly dimiinshed my ability to follow a lot of US TV. Especially since I relied on recording shows on good ol' VHS while I worked evenings. During that time I got into anime, which could be watched just as easily at 3 AM as at 7 PM, and even when I (temporarily) left that job for graduate school, I just didn't have the motivation to follow mainstream TV anymore. So basically I'm out of the loop on Lost, Heroes, 24, Prison Break and all these other shows that I've heard about but never sat down and watched. My personal difference between crappy anime vs. crappy domestic productions is that I can somehow enjoy crappy anime for its camp/kitsch/fanservice value, but crappy US TV just makes me want to do/watch something else.

Con staff: I've seen it from the other side in being on staff for a few cons and hanging out with staff of others -- these people do a lot of work in frantically holding things together so that the con-goers don't notice anything amiss. They're almost always unpaid, sleep-deprived, and undernourished during cons, and these are small cons I'm talking about; the problems are surely multiplied several times over at major cons. So yeah, there is some rudeness, but in many cases it's understandable.

The Flake: Should've called it "Cake of the Week" Laughing (Too bad I didn't get around to posting before 17 other people pointed out the reference.)
Riyousha wrote:
But I just hope nobody good dies in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.
Don't get your hopes up, spoiler[Mad-Eye Moody and Hedgewick] bite the dust within the first 50 pages. Not exactly major characters, but still...
*goes back to reading HP*
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Mid-Boss wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:

I challenge anyone who disagrees to generate an all time list of American shows to match.

Teen Titans
Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League
Samurai Jack
Superman: The Animated Series
Justice League Unlimited
Megas XLR
Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends
Rocko's Modern Life
Angry Beavers
Pinky and the Brain
Animaniacs
Futurama
Simpsons
Looney Tunes
Duck Dodgers
Codename: Kids Next Door
Dexter's Lab
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Fairly Oddparents
Danny Phantom
Flintstones
Jetsons

Getting kind of bored now...anyone else want to add to the list?

I think I watched a few shows of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, and I did not like this character named Blu because that guy was such an asshole. (If this is a completely different show, then maybe I was thinking of another show)

As for Justice League vs. Justice League Unlimited: I liked unlimited because they removed HawkGirl's mask and you get to see a classy, attractive redhead Very Happy

And to be be fair for Anime vs. American shows, maybe we should step it up a knotch and compare Anime Movies vs. American Movies. I'd like to see how Anime Movies can compare to Blockbuster Hollywood movies like Pirates of the Carribean, Spiderman, Shrek, Harry Potter, Ocean's 13, Crash, Chicago, etc.
(THE FIGHT IS ON!)

EDIT: my swear word was replaced w/ not-so-nice person.

I predict people will respond w/ Princess Mononoke

And I doubt that any anime movie can beat a top grossing film like Pirates of the Carribean
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9