• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
KidaYuki wrote:
Quote:
...he can extract weapons from his nearby friends" (Guilty Crown)

what does that mean? does he reach into his friends ear and instead of a quarter pull out a riffle....?

I was wondering the same thing.
At first, I thought they were going to do something like this:

But (I think) I found an official picture :

There appears to be a blue orb around his hand so maybe the weapons are inside of the orb and his friends act as a passageway??? I don't know; I'll find out in Episode. 1.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
KidaYuki wrote:
Quote:
...he can extract weapons from his nearby friends" (Guilty Crown)

what does that mean? does he reach into his friends ear and instead of a quarter pull out a riffle....?

I was wondering the same thing.
At first, I thought they were going to do something like this:

But (I think) I found an official picture :

There appears to be a blue orb around his hand so maybe the weapons are inside of the orb and his friends act as a passageway??? I don't know; I'll find out in Episode. 1.

Huh, I was figuring Soul Eater myself when I heard that. Or a bit more obscure, Disgaea's Magi Change system.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
I'm from the generation that was called a "geek" simply for liking any anime at all, so for me that term spans a wide range.

Oh well, that's indeed a very wide range Laughing Nowadays, I find it useful to differentiate between an anime fan who likes animes for good entertainment, good story, interesting characters and anime geeks / otakus, who are generally the intended audience of the ecchi- and moe- fanservice shows and can enjoy these, while others cannot. And of course, in practice it's not always that easily distinguishable (some people are both), but generally these seem to be the two big groups.

Quote:
Do you think that could fall under Seinen or would it just be considered cyber-punk?

Since Seinen simply describes the intended audience (male adults), Mardock Scramble can be considered both. At least the original novel was for adult readers, and the anime seems way too dark to be considered a Shonen series. But the manga adaption is running in a Shonen magazine.
If you don't know them already, you could take a look at the IKKI imprint mangas, because there are a lot of more mature series from different genres for adult readers in there.
Else Haikasoru publishes different Japanese SciFi and Fantasy novels (Mardock Scramble f.ex.). Maybe you will find something interesting among these.

Quote:
I always look forward to each new season in hopes that the next BeBop or GITS might be among the latest offerings.

We all do Very Happy But I guess there are still some older series you can watch and enjoy while waiting (Zipang? Figure 17? Fantastic Children?). Or since you like Nana, Paradise Kiss and Honey & Clover, there might still be some other Josei series you haven't seen (like Hataraki Man, Kuragehime, Emma (actually Seinen, but still) ...)

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Kids shows don't automatically have to be lower quality just because they're for kids.

No, as I said, Denno Coil and Beast Player Erin are supposed to be aimed at children, yet they are more mature than most animes aimed at adults these last years.
But such shows are still the exception, and Phi-Brain just doesn't look like it's going to be one of them. Of course, I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:
I always look forward to each new season in hopes that the next BeBop or GITS might be among the latest offerings.

We all do Very Happy But I guess there are still some older series you can watch and enjoy while waiting (Zipang? Figure 17? Fantastic Children?). Or since you like Nana, Paradise Kiss and Honey & Clover, there might still be some other Josei series you haven't seen (like Hataraki Man, Kuragehime, Emma (actually Seinen, but still) ...)

Thanks for the link (looks great) and the suggestions. Fantastic Children has been on my "to watch" list for a while so I'll stop putting it off. Most of the others I've already plowed through. But Emma??? Really? It looked kinds frilly, but hey, I've been wrong before. Since you recommended it I'll bite the bullet and check it out. Thanks!
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:
Meh. Doesn't look like there's much targeted at adults. .... I guess the R rated fare isn't selling well these days or something.

I think Hyouge Mono is continuing, although it's kind of hard to watch outside of Japan. I wonder what happened to the promised anime based on the (Section Chief/Division Head/President) Kosaku Shima mangas? But neither of these would be the kind of thing you are looking for.

Hmm. Doesn't look like it contains quite enough blood spatter. Just kidding! I do watch shows with quality writing too. Thanks for the recommendation!
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
i'll probably give everything a try but the things im looking forward too most in order are:
Mirai Niki/Future Diary this is without a doubt my most anticipated show of the fall season and judging from the trailer it looks too be faithfull too the manga with better animation (thank god) then the ova
Persona four i been hearing nothing but praise from the game and seen gameplay vids/trailers for it so my interest in it has peaked and i did like trinity soul though i never played the game so who knows
Fate/Zero really liked Fate/stay night so im looking foreward too the prequel not too mention it has alot of the same team that did kara no kyokai which is quite good
Shana three i really liked season one and sorta liked season two so of course im looking foreward too shana three spoiler[but i was recently spoiled of a VERY big plot point which drived me crazy...]
thats basically my top four others im looking foreward too but may drop depending if their good or not are UN-GO,guilty crown,hxh,phi brain,gundam age and boku wa tamodachi.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
AIC animates the popular Persona 4 videogame, which revolves around the (fictional) rural Japanese village of Inaba. Protagonist Yu Narukami arrives in the village to live with the Dojima family for one year, but finds himself squarely involved in a rash of murders in the town. Accused of the murders, Yu must find the real culprit.

To whomever wrote that....how about no?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyBebopAtHisComputer
kondeelai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Quote:
AIC animates the popular Persona 4 videogame, which revolves around the (fictional) rural Japanese village of Inaba. Protagonist Yu Narukami arrives in the village to live with the Dojima family for one year, but finds himself squarely involved in a rash of murders in the town. Accused of the murders, Yu must find the real culprit.

To whomever wrote that....how about no?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyBebopAtHisComputer

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Protagonist was never accused of the murders through out the whole game ever [this is supposed to be 100% faithful to the material]...Everyone makes mistakes but this should be edited ASAP to prevent people new to the Persona 4 world from getting the wrong assumption from the start.
Nagi21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
This Anime Spotlight feature is boss. I'm so behind in anime I'm still watching series on my backlog from '09, gah.

From this season I'm looking forward to Guilty Crown, Un-go, Fate/Zero, and Last/Exile (wow they decide to continue on with this after all this time?) just at quick glance.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't say i'm crazy about the character design or the fact their going with 14 year(s) can save the humanity routine.

However, I remember correctly its intended for children in their teens like the one piloting Gundam.

Yes, unrealistic, but its not intended adults. Thats what Gundam Unicorn is for (yet main character still a teen.). I'd be more worried if this becomes the winning forumal for writers of Gundam franchise with removal adults.

I think that there suppose to be yet another Gundam series coming out anime form. Hope so, i'll watch this see how campy it is.
Zenador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
The one's I'm interested in are Fate/Zero (once I finish Fate/Stay Night), Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, and, surprisingly, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai! I'm a fan of the Mirai Nikki anime (Yuno's probably my favorite Yandare of all time and I often enjoy a creepy story) so that's a definite yes. Also I've read some of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai! and it was surprisingly funny (in my opinion anyway). Some of of it was a bit iffy, but as a whole I found it enjoyable. What with the school year going on who knows if I'll ever get to watching them, but hopefully that won't be the case.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. Each year, each season it seems to get worse and worse. Talent has run dry it seems.

I'm here until the end though. Here's to Winter!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
On the flip side, I see about 15+ shows this season that look interesting and I'm looking forward to. Definitely going to be another great season.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
On the flip side, I see about 15+ shows this season that look interesting and I'm looking forward to. Definitely going to be another great season.

You have indiscriminate tastes in anime aka Japan can do no wrong. Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

You have indiscriminate tastes in anime aka Japan can do no wrong. Laughing

Not this season, anyway.

If people don't like this season I have a hard time figuring out what they would like. I mean, so many people are calling Phi-Brain generic, but I can't really recall many anime like it outside a hodgepodge analogy. It seems fairly unique all things considered. No way the talent is 'all dried up' or what have you. Some people here plain confound me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11