• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This spotlight feature is sweet. It nice getting a bit more info before the preview guide starts. Thanks guys!

Never seen any Gundum, so that's out.

PHI-Brain looks pretty good, with the whole puzzle aspect. No doubt that's just a springboard to have shounen style fighting. But I'm okay with that as long as the story doesn't totally rely on it. I notice some people saying the character designs are unattractive. I'm not getting that vibe, but I will say that white haired afro boy looks like he stuck his finger in an electrical socket. It does make the series harder to take seriously.

C^3 might be entertaining, but not if they're going to rely on cute girlies to tell the story. Now here is a show where I find the character designs unappealing. They all look like twelve year olds! Sheesh.... Rolling Eyes
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I like the showcase feature, thanks ANN. AGE and Phi Brain look like they skew young but I'll check them out. C^3 looks like a poor man's Index, I'm on the fence based on the preview.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
nice showcase from ann, I hope they do that for every anime coming next month, sadly I doubt that I'll watch any of those 3, I may give PHI-BRAIN a try though.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
C³ and Phi Brain didn't look all that impressive though I will probably catch an episode or two of them anyways.

I'm a Gundam fan so I'm excited for AGE though I'm not fond of the character designs. I do like the concept of following a particular famiy's use of the Gundam. Kind of wish it was going to be more than 50 episodes considering the 100 years time frame. I suspect they chose it to leave open the possibility of movies and ovas.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So I guess hypothetically shows showcased here are more likely to get simulcasted, since the creators are proactively passing on information so that the show is known outside Japan?

C3 wrote:
Kirika Ueno
VA: Eri Kitamura
She's the class president of Haruaki's class. She seems to be related to the cursed items, and because of that the clothing she wears is rather unrevealing for modern high school girls. She's calm and collected. Her catchphrase is "How foolish."

I'm still mostly uninterested in this show, but...this is my moe.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Phi-Brain looks like it might be fun, even if it does skew a little young. I love puzzles.

Though I have to agree with everybody else that the Yu-Gi-Oh-esque characters designs have me a little scared...
Tuskus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Holy Jesus, those subtitles are unreadable! I can barely read them even when the video's fullscreen. Make them bigger and move them farther up.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
"I don't care who you are, but I'll never forgive anyone who toys with the lives of others using puzzles"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL, that was the highlight of my day so far.

... so, will he forgive those who toy with the lives of others using modeling clay? Kitchen utensils? Magic tricks? ... what if they puzzle with the lives of others with toys? Maybe he'll forgive some of them depending on who it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Phi-Brain is just a collection of overdone generic ideas mashed into one. The plot ideas, character design, and character archetypes are all so over done in other animes that it is laughable. Not to mention its title, "Puzzle of God"? Can you please be more original when you made the title?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tuskus wrote:
Holy Jesus, those subtitles are unreadable! I can barely read them even when the video's fullscreen. Make them bigger and move them farther up.

Sorry about that. The Gundam AGE trailer was supplied to me with subtitles on it already. I'll ask Sunrise to have bigger subs for next time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

C3 wrote:
Kirika Ueno
VA: Eri Kitamura
She's the class president of Haruaki's class. She seems to be related to the cursed items, and because of that the clothing she wears is rather unrevealing for modern high school girls. She's calm and collected. Her catchphrase is "How foolish."

I'm still mostly uninterested in this show, but...this is my moe.

It's the sign of the times when what a high school girl wears is critiqued from the endpoint of how "revealing" it is. Laughing

jojothepunisher wrote:
Not to mention its title, "Puzzle of God"? Can you please be more original when you made the title?

Facesforce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the original Gundam and universal century as a whole... This looks like a disappointment. I don't mind kid shows like SD Gundam, but this is... gah. However, I am a fan that the GENOACE CUSTOM looks just like the bit mobile suits in Gundam X, another one I am a fan of.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I am trying my best to keep an open mind about the new Gundam series, but the charater design is just so childish...

Even though the character ages are approximately the same as most previous Gundam protagonists, everyone looks like they're 10 years old this time around.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this feature, ANN. Thanks!

Spastic Minnow wrote:
"I don't care who you are, but I'll never forgive anyone who toys with the lives of others using puzzles"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL, that was the highlight of my day so far.

OH GOD, mine as well. Laughing That was so hilarious.

I like puzzles, but I doubt I'll like an anime about puzzles, since the fun part about puzzles is about trying to solve them. Watching someone on screen go through drama trying to solve puzzles doesn't sound as fun.

Now, if the series was more like Dora the Explorer...

"Which block should be moved next? OH YEA!" Laughing

Anyways, that PHI BRAIN whoosidoo show, which I can't be bothered to double-check if I got the full name right, looks really generic. But still, the part about puzzles just has my interest slightly peaked. I'll just wait to hear more on it.

C^3 is just UGH NO.

And Gundam Age... well, it doesn't look too bad. Being as I'm not a big Gundam fan in the first place, I don't really share the same sentiments as the Gundam fans do. So, I'm not really turned away, but I'm not really turned on. I thought the production values were good enough at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hey Justin, thanks for this.

It is a helpful look at upcoming Anime, and it is nice to have the official trailer with English subtitles as well as character and story info as well. The staff and Seiyuu info doesn't interest me too much, but I would imagine others would find it very important.

I could find all of the above information from other places, but it is really handy to have everything together one one page.

Naturally there is still the preview guide, but I will be adding this as another go-to feature when deciding what I will watch for the upcoming season.

I hope it is successful and that you do this again in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11