• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Cool new feature, love the preview information and also the unique character bios as I think they'll be really helpful in giving me a better idea on certain shows, I'm sure it's a good amount of extra work but it's appreciated Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Phi-Brain looks fun. Combine Yu-Gi-Oh's over the top game aspect with Detective Conan's long-winded and complicated explinations with a dash of Rio Rainbow Gate zany-action and this looks like it'd be the baby. Definitely going to check it out

Gundam Age looks interesting too. I guess we're ignoring Amuro was only 1 year older than this kid, assuming the people complaining even watched the original Gundam series which was always about a kid.

This Fall is looking amazing.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
C³ looks stupid. It has only female characters, and schoolgirls at that, so you know it's made for easy-to-please manchildren.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Amuro was only 1 year older than this kid, assuming the people complaining even watched the original Gundam series which was always about a kid.

Heh yeah. A lot of people seem to be missing out that 15 is the go to age for Gundam pilots to one less year aint exactly huge. However I think most of it is the character designs. It's easy to miss that he's supposed to be 14, when his character design is presented in a similar manner to 10 year olds in other anime. But I wouldn't be surprised if the character designs are very deceptive to the nature of the series... I mean, it's Gundam and it is opening with MASS HUMAN DEATH SCENE. So yeah.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
I like how everything is either great or shit. Laughing
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
The amusing thing about Gundam AGE getting blasted for having "really young pilots," is that everyone conveniently forgets about Usso in Victory.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Amuro was only 1 year older than this kid, assuming the people complaining even watched the original Gundam series which was always about a kid.

Heh yeah. A lot of people seem to be missing out that 15 is the go to age for Gundam pilots to one less year aint exactly huge. However I think most of it is the character designs. It's easy to miss that he's supposed to be 14, when his character design is presented in a similar manner to 10 year olds in other anime. But I wouldn't be surprised if the character designs are very deceptive to the nature of the series... I mean, it's Gundam and it is opening with MASS HUMAN DEATH SCENE. So yeah.

A year makes a big difference between a fourteen and a fifteen year old. If you worked with kids for a living you would know that.

Also, it's not that he's 14 as that he's 7 at the very beginning (in my view), which is REALLY, REALLY unbelievable if you work spend any time with kids that age. Even the smart ones simply aren't that developed at that age. Although I take it he wasn't actually piloting at that age...

OTOH, Renton and Shinji were totally believable as a 14 year-old mecha pilot... but they at least go into what happens when you put a kid into a giant flying killing machine.

My only beef is what the show APPEARS to be just from the synopsis and designs. It sort of goes against the typical Gundam atmosphere, and seems closer to something like SD Gundam... but then again, G Gundam was different yet awesome.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
Facesforce wrote:
However, I am a fan that the GENOACE CUSTOM looks just like the bit mobile suits in Gundam X, another one I am a fan of.

I'm happy to see someone else where who likes Gundam X. ^^

My opinions:

Gundam AGE: Simplistic character designs don't win me over, but the "story spanning three generations" does sound like a unique premise. However, it seems like another excuse to keep selling Gundam crap and just show off the titular robots blowing stuff up. Pass.

Phi-Brain: Endangering people's lives with puzzles, hmmm, well it's not a bad idea per se, but I wonder how the plot actually roles. Is it like a "monster of the week" premise, where every few episodes the heroes solve a puzzle and come closer to discovering the enemy's true intentions? Still I like puzzles, so this might be worth a glimpse.

C3: The action angle does sound nifty, the plot sounds cryptic and mysterious which is always a plus, but...if the fanservice is going to get out of control, then count me out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

C3: The action angle does sound nifty, the plot sounds cryptic and mysterious which is always a plus, but...if the fanservice is going to get out of control, then count me out.

Whenever I see , I'm reminded of F³: Frantic, Frustrated & Female. Laughing
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
So far, Gundam AGE looks... bad. It looks more like B-Daman then gundam. The desing is VERY kiddy, and quite frankly... it does not match Gundam at ALL.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
There's not really a lot that sounds interesting enough to want to watch. Of course this is just from reading the synopsises of each anime. Maybe this season will be another catchup season like the Spring season was....or there might be some reviews that will interest me.
Kuranosuke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
C³ and Phi Brain didn't look all that impressive though I will probably catch an episode or two of them anyways.

Yeah, thats about how I feel. Phi Brain sounded especially generic and dull when I first read the description. The highlighted ones don't catch my attention at all really. There are far more interesting series on the lineup
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey ANN Brain Trust - looooooove the new Anime Spotlight feature. Best new value added thang on the site in a while. Many thanks.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Anime Spotlight feature, though I may have to stop at just Story Synopsis and Trailers.
The fact that spoiler[Konoha Masamura] is spoiler[the demonic sword Muramasa] is there in the trailer--if you're clued in to look for it--so it's not really a spoiler per se, but if I hadn't read past the story synopsis I probably wouldn't have realized until it was revealed in the show.
enurtsol wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Whenever I see , I'm reminded of F³: Frantic, Frustrated & Female. Laughing

Either that or C – The Money of Soul and Possibility - Control

Anyway...
Cursed Tsukumogami seek solution from special guy eh? I'll even overlook the "naked rice thief" introduction...maybe (It'll depend on the guy's reaction). That at least one character is a moe checklist (glasses, "Big Boobs", kind and caring) is not looking good, but if it can avoid Wardrobe Destruction for Humiliation's sake a la Freezing or outrageous camera angles just to achieve upskirt shots (right, A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives?) I may actually be able to watch without feeling guilty about doing so.

Phi Brain for some reason gives me a Sket Dance vibe. Looks like one of the early puzzles will be a life-sized Rush Hour, so I'll tune in through that at least.

I would have said UN-GO looks like a modern era Gosick (and to a lesser extent, Mystic Archives of Dantalian), until I read further and discovered spoiler[ "Inga" is a guy]. Then again, that may be the "thing" to separate it from the rest of the genre that have cropped up lately. I have the sinking feeling that the "Last Great Detective"/"Defeated Detective" pun will get very old very, very fast.

The only Gundam I have ever got through was War in the Pocket at a con. Not that I dislike Mech shows, but I think there's too much universe to the franchise for me to want to start investing in Gundam now.
TeenyDratini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The only one I'm considering watching so far is Un-Go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11