• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ouran Host Club, Sasami: Magical Girl Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Did he ever try coming back with a new account or did Zac bury his lifeless corpse under a cherry tree with blue blossoms?

Cherry trees are not sensitive to the pH of the soil; hydrangea (especially H. macrophylla) are, and they have appeared in many detective anime/manga.

Jesus christ Dormcat.

Quote:
awesome quality DVDs

Sorry to say this, but FUNimation aren't exactly known for 'awesome quality' when it comes to their discs. Packaging? Good, even great. Extras? Good. Bilingual? Generally yes. Competent video authoring/anything? No.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Ouran finally licensed. That makes three upcoming Funi series I'm getting (the others being Shuffle! and Negima!?).

While I'm a Tenchi fan, I can't say I have much interest in Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club. I may give it a try, but we'll see. Now if they had relicensed Pretty Sammy, THAT I would have definitely gotten. Regardless, I"m pretty sure Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club is going to sell poorly. I hope they got it cheap....
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
LilacShadow wrote:
I kinda want to see Ouran High School Host Club even though I've actually had friends tell me it was for yaoi fangirls. Confused

Please do not be put off by that particular stereotype. I avoided the Ouran manga for awhile becuase the friend praising it and pushing it on me is a diehard yaoi nut, so I generally avoid anything she gets into. One day, I finally caved and gave it a look since I was very bored... and was pleasntly surprised to discover a very funny story that spoofs both uppercrust life and fangirlism, with no outright yaoi content at all.

Shortly thereafter, my mom got me vol.1 as a christmas stocking stuffer, and I've been enjoying it since. (My mom revels in the moment I asked her if I'd put that on my Christmas list and forgot, becuase it was a sign she'd picked something good on her own- normally anime-wise she gets something I don't like or already own.)

I'm throughly pleased with this announcement, and hope a release date is in the near future.
dokool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
And with this, ADV descends to total irrelevancy.

Grats to Funi - it's ironic because I was thinking the other day "y'know, I should pick up the Ouran fansubs since I've never watched it before." Suppose it's too late now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kagamin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
I am happy that the Ouran anime was finally licensed. I love the manga and I am looking forward to owning the anime. Also, I am happy that FUNimation picked it up as I really like the quality of their releases. I will definitely pre-order this as soon as TRS starts taking orders for it.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy for this license. I plan to buy this series (if my parents will let me).

One of my favorite series, in which I enjoyed every episode.
Nermal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yay! Another thing to add to my wish list Very Happy
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
They have the website for Ouran up and running. Very Happy

http://funimation.com/ouran/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
Funimation adds another big name anime to their company in Ouran. Good pickup for them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Glad to see Ouran finally licensed. That makes three upcoming Funi series I'm getting (the others being Shuffle! and Negima!?).

While I'm a Tenchi fan, I can't say I have much interest in Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club. I may give it a try, but we'll see. Now if they had relicensed Pretty Sammy, THAT I would have definitely gotten. Regardless, I"m pretty sure Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club is going to sell poorly. I hope they got it cheap....
Ironically, that Sasami show actually followed the scenario Zac outlined in last week's AnswerMan column - only the first episode was ever fansubbed, and I don't anticipate any groups going out of their way to continue it at this point. So if the show underperforms, they can't go crying about fansubs killing their sales, although I'm sure the fact that full fansubs never existed won't stop them from trying Rolling Eyes

And while I am excited about Funi having Ouran. part of me is worried about how the English dub will turn out; specifically, I anticipate bad name mispronunciations like "Kee-YOH-ya" as seen in that Youtube video linked to a few pages back in this thread. And hopeflly, Funi learned their lesson from Rumbling Hearts and realizes that people do want to know what all that crazy Japanese writing within the episodes means. And Ouran has a lot of onscreen text--after all, if a bunch of l33t pirate IRC-kiddy fansubbers can get it right, surely paid professionals can as well. Then again, that's what I thought with Rumbling Hearts, and Funi managed to prove me wrong there Rolling Eyes
Still, I think some pictures are in order:

And if anyone's worried about Ouran HSHC being "just for yaoi fangirls," don't be - it's eminently enjoyable by both genders. Granted, I like a lot of "girly" shows, but many of the other guys at anime club found it to be a very funny show; they just didn't like watching it in the presence of said fangirls. There's plenty of comedy ranging from physical to situational to parody, and the dramatic and romantic highs it reaches can easily complete with the best of 'em.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Okay. We have Ouran and we have Sasami.

But will they be dubbed in English? Will Funi buck the trend caused by Bandai Visual? Question

[EDIT: Dollar sign changed to s; all companies are in business to make money and BV's practices, while different, do not make them any better or worse than the other companies. ~Zalis]
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Zalis those pictures are instant win!

um, Dormcat, what the hell did you go to school for!?

i have several demands for this license:

1. the text boxes and all the other signals are an obligation for Funi.
2. the dub must be fantastic and very accurate.
3. the subs on the disc must also be accurate.
4. good artwork on the discs. thanks guys for that addition
5. this, my fellow Ouran fans, is an absolute must: VIC MIGNOGNA MUST NOT BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DUB!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
This made me forget about Harry Potter for a few hours. FINALLY OURAN IS LICENSED.

I just...REALLY don't want Vic Mignogna anywhere near this...especially Tamaki ><.

And Zalis, the pictures are win.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Geez, what's with Vic Mignogna hatin'? Rolling Eyes
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
him as Tamaki would not only destory the dub, but the hordes of fangirls would spew out from behind the yaoi piles and overtake entire conventions, much like with FMA.

........ Laughing hehehe i cant keep a straight face with that description.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8