• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Noir

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quote
As some of you may know, the last DVD of Noir was released yesterday (or last week, for some Best Buy's who release before street).
What were your thoughts of the series?
It was a happy little ending, a bit anti-climactic, becuase you could kind of see what was gonna happen, plus some of the stuff near the end seemed a bit dragged out.
Now, the best thing about the Last DVD, they had a INterview with 4 of the English VA's from the show: Hillary Haag, Monica Riel, Tiffany Grant, and the girl who did the voive for Mirrielle (forgot her name). It was some pretty amusing stuff with all the comments they were making (most notablly, their ideas for possible Noir sequel).

Overall, the series was not too shabby, a little bit smarter then your typical "Girls-with-Guns" shows (Although GSC is still the queen). If ADV releases a box set of all the DVD's at a cheaper price, I'd recommebnd people to pick it up.
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a series I didn't finish... I just couldn't get into the story, and didn't feel any interest in the characters. The character design is gorgeous, the music fantastic, and the photography incredible, but story... meh. I didn't like it. Saw through the large majority of the series, but didn't finish it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Early on I decided I didn't like it that much. I continued to watch it because it had an awesome character: Chloe. If you saw the ending, you'd understand why I didn't like it that much.
avius viator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked Noir... I wouldn't put it on the "all time favorites" list... but I did enjoy it. The pace was slow and pensive, and at times tiresome, but it worked with the whole mood of the series. The end was a bit of a let down, though I have trouble explaining exactly why.... the payoff just wasn't as big as I thought it would be. It wasn;t bad, but I remember feeling that something was left unresolved (I haven't watched it in a while). The ending left me feeling very mellow... SuperskylineGTR said "anticlimatic", and that seems a harsh word to use, but its perhaps most accurate...
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The ending did extactly what the said in the first or was it the second ep said it would. It was just getting there that took so dang long. spoiler[they double suicide at the end you can hear 2 disticnaly diffrent gun shots before the credit roll at the end.]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:02 am Reply with quote
spoiler[You hear the gunshots, but you don't see what really happens. Besides, if they committed double suicide, I doubt they'd be walking off into the proverbial sunset talking about having tea in Paris. Laughing

Also, why walk away when it'd be best to commit suicide before your enemy to show your resolve? Why continue to taunt, dare I say challenge the enemy if you're just going to commit suicide? I quote Mireille speaking to a member of Soldats, when asked what she'll do next: "We'll live on as we are. That's all." Not the kinda thing you're gonna say if you're about to go out in a tiny little blaze of 9mm. micro-glory.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while, forgive me), but didn't they resolve to go on living in episode 25-ish? Why blow each other's brains out after making a decision like that?

If you ask me, the gunshots were symbolic that they were continuing their fight against Soldats. That pesky watch being shown kinda reinforces this, IMO.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
The ending did extactly what the said in the first or was it the second ep said it would. It was just getting there that took so dang long. spoiler[they double suicide at the end you can hear 2 disticnaly diffrent gun shots before the credit roll at the end.]

spoiler[then why didn't Mireille just let Kirika die a few minutes earlier?]

anyone know how the manga ends? i imagine it clears things up better.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:21 am Reply with quote
There's a manga? 8O
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
There's a manga? Shocked

I don't think so. There isn't one listed in the Encyclopedia, at least, and this is the first I've heard of one, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:34 am Reply with quote
nevermind i read wrong. anyways i've heard that a sequel is being considered, so i don't think spoiler[they're dead]
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:01 am Reply with quote
there is no second season/sequel I asked the Directer at AX 2k2
said spoiler[The whole double suicide thing was keeping the promise made in the first or was it the second ep.] and there is no Manga(besides Dojins of course)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:52 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt spoiler[the double suicide, I believe the final scene was just symbolism.
Besides, Mirrielle, from what I recalled promised she would kill Kirika(when the job was finished), not herself. And by episode 21 or 22 (I can't recall which one), she does not kill Kirika, even though Kirika begs Mirrielle to kill her.]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[No...I went back and watched episode 26 again...the double suicide thing is ridiculous, I'm sorry. Why did Mireille save Kirika? Why shed tears over Kirika's well-being if they were still on such callous "I'll kill you when this is over" terms? Why did everything Mireille say to the surviving Soldats just resonate a sense of "we'll keep on fighting" in it? Why walk away and seemingly head for home if they were just going to do each other in?

If the director said they commited double-suicide, then he's just inserted the biggest plothole in the past five years of anime.]
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
spoiler[No...I went back and watched episode 26 again...the double suicide thing is ridiculous, I'm sorry. Why did Mireille save Kirika? Why shed tears over Kirika's well-being if they were still on such callous "I'll kill you when this is over" terms? Why did everything Mireille say to the surviving Soldats just resonate a sense of "we'll keep on fighting" in it? Why walk away and seemingly head for home if they were just going to do each other in?]

EXACTLY, it just does not make sense, like I said above it is symbolism OR spoiler[M and K could have been gunning down the Soldat Head Honchos that meet them at the end.]

Nagisa wrote:
spoiler[If the director said they commited double-suicide, then he's just inserted the biggest plothole in the past five years of anime.]

Right again.
Are you sure cyrax you talked to the director? Maybe he was f***ing with you.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:43 am Reply with quote
It was just symbolism. spoiler[I think it meant Noir is dead, not Kirika and Mireille. Noir is dead, show is over, bye-bye. I was more impressed by episode 25 and how much Mireille had learned from Kirika.]

SuperSkylineGTR wrote:
Now, the best thing about the Last DVD, they had a INterview with 4 of the English VA's from the show: Hillary Haag, Monica Riel, Tiffany Grant, and the girl who did the voive for Mirrielle (forgot her name).

Yeah, it was pretty good, but the easter egg on disc 4 was just the best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2