• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BRUTAL ANIME.....extreme violence and psychological sh*t

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnollman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There.

Brutal series....
Wootang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:57 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with gnollman, Now and Then, Here and There was extremely brutal. I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I popped in that first disk. But like many others, I suggest Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Jin-Roh . . . um, let me think . . . Metropolis for your phsych . . . um . . . there are so many on the tip of my tongue. Give me half an hour and I'm sure I could pull out some more. Wink
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:18 am Reply with quote
I considered Now and Then, Here and There, but I did not list it initially because I did not think it quite satisfied his tastes, but I do not think he would regret seeing it. It is an excellent series and I think a somewhat underappreciated one.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:33 am Reply with quote
Come on, people! When it comes to extreme violence and gore in anime, nothing compares to Urotsukidoji. It makes Fist of the North Star look like Hamtaro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:20 am Reply with quote
I dunno if you read manga or not, but if you got some time, make sure to check out the Battle Royal manga.

Truly brutal stuff that borderlines being distasteful...

back to animes...
There were a couple of good suggestions, so I'll add my 2 cents and highlight some of the good ones....

Spriggan
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Vampire Hunter D
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
Probably the closest you can get to being like Akira is Spriggan.It reminds me a lot of Akira.

Not surprising, seeing as both movies have the same director and producer. I felt like I was wacthing Akira II, and I mean that in a good way.
Kagato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah,perfect blue.Doomed Megolopolis,if you can get your hands on it,is rather disgustiung and brutal.Still great,though.
Booyah9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well Evangelion is really intense, especially for the second half of the series. However there is so comedy early on, but once get passed those episodes you're glued to the screen. The first and second episodes are a good test to see if you like it.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Eva's intense in a graphic way? For who, 12-year-olds? Anyway, I'm glad gnollman mentioned Now and Then, Here and There. I knew this thread was missing something, but I couldn't put my finger on it....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:11 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Eva's intense in a graphic way? For who, 12-year-olds?

Episode 16's rain of blood and episode 20's sexually-charged scenes involving Misato & Kaji almost got it cancelled prematurely.

Also, I personally found EVA-01's going apeshit on Zeruel in episode 19 to be quite disturbing the first two or three times I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ayamacha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ghost in the Shell, and X. For X, there is a movie and a series. I prefer the series over the movie, but the movie is a little more graphic.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Kagato wrote:
Probably the closest you can get to being like Akira is Spriggan.It reminds me a lot of Akira.

Not surprising, seeing as both movies have the same director and producer. I felt like I was wacthing Akira II, and I mean that in a good way.

Katsuhiro Otomo didn't direct Spriggan he only produced it.Spriggan trys to steal some of Akira's main themes but does it poorly,thats not to say Spriggan is an awful movie.Its ok if you just want to watch some fast paced action but it cant be taken to seriously.

If your looking for gore try some more anime from the 80s.I particulary recommend some of Go Nagai's work such as devilman,plenty of mindless but fun gore
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
If your looking for gore try some more anime from the 80s.I particulary recommend some of Go Nagai's work such as devilman,plenty of mindless but fun gore

If we're going to bring up Go Nagai, I have to recommend Devil Lady. It's violent and such, a la Devilman, but it goes more into the psychological end of things, too, instead of just being mindless, rampant, killing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kidotai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
SuperSkylineGTR wrote:
I dunno if you read manga or not, but if you got some time, make sure to check out the Battle Royal manga.

Also look into getting the Battle Royale movie. Plus Battle Royale II. They released it in Europe, so copies will be from European Sources.

If you want a "preview," the character Gogo in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 recreates a scene where she "penetrates" a man with her dagger, an homage to Chiaki Kuriyama's infamous scene in Battle Royale.

As for "hard" films, I loathe to recommend Angel Cop. No plot, useage of swear words that would give heart attacks to alot of American Censors and Standards Boards, and some of the most twisted deaths possible.
Kagato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah,Angel Cop is violent,vulgar,and entertaining.I would recommend it for a quick action fix.I found the main antagonists name(lucifer)a rather strange coincedince.The interrogation seen was disgusting.
[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3