• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger & Bunny Matchmaking Party Planned in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
So there trying to Lucky Star this anime to what the hell is going on in Japan that they need to do this
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Funny how the women are allowed to be quite younger.
darkonezero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Don't forget being charged less and not restricting those who are students or unemployed.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
And pay a heck of a lot less. I wonder how many of the women will be fans really? I mean I am a female T&B fan so I know full well these exist (and aside from me there a lot of girls who ship Kotetsu & Barnaby.... I sorta do but not seriously) but these screams 'otaku tries to date nice normal girl[tm]' sort of situation not 'otaku meets otaku' really.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

When you think about it from a minimum age perspective, five years difference really isn't that much.
streexanime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Don't forget being charged less and not restricting those who are students or unemployed.

Culture thing. It really is a woman's world when it comes to choosing a mate, also their culture doesn't require for a woman to go to college or be employed for being qualified for marriage. I guess think 1960s US marriage customs (I know not all of you are American, but for those who watch MadMen yeah Japan's relationship culture is about there). It's also harder to get women to come to these events, hence a lower entry cost (think Ladies' Nights at a bar or something).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I wonder how many of the women will be fans really? I mean I am a female T&B fan so I know full well these exist (and aside from me there a lot of girls who ship Kotetsu & Barnaby.... I sorta do but not seriously)

Tiger & Bunny has a huge fujoshi following.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

Male attendees must be over 25 ("unemployed, student, and married candidates need not apply") and pay 9,000 yen (about US$120). Female attendees must be over 20 ("married candidates need not apply") and pay 3,000 yen (US$39).

This makes me laugh. Laughing

Among other things, they actually have to specify that married people not apply - ah, extramarital affais......... that's what soaplands are for! And females can be unemployed or students, while males not - what freeloaders! Laughing

streexanime wrote:

Culture thing. It really is a woman's world when it comes to choosing a mate, also their culture doesn't require for a woman to go to college or be employed for being qualified for marriage. I guess think 1960s US marriage customs (I know not all of you are American, but for those who watch MadMen yeah Japan's relationship culture is about there).

'Mad Men' 2011: Japan’s gender equality debate Laughing

It is anecdotal common sense that here in Japan a great deal of off-season hiring occurs as a result of women suddenly upping and leaving, some with as little as two weeks to a month notice due to pregnancy or finding some dream man and moving off to some exotic location. (Unlike the former, the latter often come back.)

Typically, there is both happiness for the retiring OL ... and grumbling too.

I’ve even heard women say it. “You hire a woman, promote her, give her responsibilities – and suddenly she just quits with a couple of weeks’ notice and everyone else has to take on the responsibilities. This is why managers are reluctant to promote women.”

Statistically speaking, the grumbling isn’t just “sexist ranting.” According to a government survey, only 1 in 3 women currently take advantage of family leave laws that have been in effect for the past 12 years. One exasperated career woman tells me, “At the hospital where I worked, the personnel manager was kept busy hiring over 400 new employees this year alone.” On the other hand, two decades ago, more than 70% of Japanese women quit work after the birth of their first child. Today, 48.9% of married women work – many not so much out of career ambition, but rather out of fear that their husbands might lose their jobs.

But in relatively ideology-free Japan, it should be pointed out that “gender equality” is not as much a human rights issue as economic pragmatism. A rapidly aging population and declining birthrate have Japanese economists braced for the worst, so the government has struggled with the issue of how to encourage women to have more kids.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaand everyone goes home alone.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they'd say that the guys needed to be in their 30's and already have a kid, since this is supposed to be mildly related to the show.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
I wonder how many of the women will be fans really? I mean I am a female T&B fan so I know full well these exist (and aside from me there a lot of girls who ship Kotetsu & Barnaby.... I sorta do but not seriously)

Tiger & Bunny has a huge fujoshi following.

And that's kinda my point. I hope these guys expect this, otherwise they really gonna be shocked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1