Forum - View topic
NEWS: Old Boy Wins Eisner Award


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TSC



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Since Old Boy is a good manga. One of my favorite. I'm happy it got an Eisner award.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LightYagami



Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 257
Location: around the midwest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Monster for was nominated for "Best Continuing Series," the award was won by All Star Superman, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC).


Monster not winning an award = FAIL. IMHO Monster has done much much better in regards to plot than any DC comic will ever do.

WOOT. 200th post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
niefong



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

Monster not winning an award = FAIL. IMHO Monster has done much much better in regards to plot than any DC comic will ever do.

WOOT. 200th post.


You know what people say about assumptions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize Antique Bakery was considered that good. I will have to check it out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 367
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that whatever beat Ode to Kirihito was as good as it, but I guess thats how it goes. At least we got some recognition with the nominations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Xenos



Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 1512
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Quote:
Monster for was nominated for "Best Continuing Series," the award was won by All Star Superman, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC).


Monster not winning an award = FAIL. IMHO Monster has done much much better in regards to plot than any DC comic will ever do.

WOOT. 200th post.


Way to talk about things you know nothing about. That's about as dumb as the idiots that say manga has no good stories.

This is Grant Morrison we're talking about. The guy is an insane genius. He took Superman and somehow made an old silver age style tale with crazy super science make sense in today's world. Well, in as much sense as a Morrison tale does. The guy is working on a whole other level.

So don't go insulting things you don't read and don't know about. Though I would say that Monster is generally better than most all DC mainline books, but if you look at their Vertigo imprint, Monster has some tough competition.

Personally, I wish Monster did win over Morrison's book, but it's not a bad book to lose to.


Also, I don't get how Abandoned, East Coast Rising, and Dramacon is considered OEL manga while y Hope Larson's Gray Horses at Oni isn't. Or Oni's Scott Pilgrim for that matter

Really. Someone explain to me what the difference is. The only one I see is that TokyoPop has the gaul to mislabel the former books as manga while Oni has the honesty to call their books by a fitting and proper name like graphic novel. Really, I'm just waiting for everyone to wake up to the total BS TokyoPop is selling.

Hell, I fell like Simon Pegg's character in Hot Fuzz sometimes. (My roomate was just watching that. Great movie, btw.) TokyoPop CEO Stu Levy can be Timothy Dalton. S--- just got real.


Also, I wrote about Antique Bakery's nomination in a blog entry about the ever growing US market for yaoi / shonen ai books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Sandman's actually pretty darned good...... the Absolute Edition took the original 1988/89 prints used in the collection, and rescanned the original artwork, created new colour files, and was presented in an oversized hardcover boxset- it's a very expensive and beatiful book..... some of Colleen Doran's art for the next volume will feature new inks done by the artist herself.


Anyhoo, Ode to Kirihoto's pretty fantastic too- if something's simply nominated for an Eisner, there's a good reason for it [though I'm kind of surprised All Star Superman won....... mind you as said above, Grant Morrison is all kinds of crazy fun when it comes to writing stuff].

Svetlana Chmakova and Ross Campbell's works are fantastic, though I can see why Hope Larson won- her books are incredible pieces of art too. The artwork is surreal, and she makes excellent use of single colour overlays......Grey Horses use of french and english in the dialogue works well too, while Salamander Dream is almost wordless. If you're a fan of artier manga, you might want to sample her works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Also, I don't get how Abandoned, East Coast Rising, and Dramacon is considered OEL manga while y Hope Larson's Gray Horses at Oni isn't. Or Oni's Scott Pilgrim for that matter

Really. Someone explain to me what the difference is. The only one I see is that TokyoPop has the gaul to mislabel the former books as manga while Oni has the honesty to call their books by a fitting and proper name like graphic novel. Really, I'm just waiting for everyone to wake up to the total BS TokyoPop is selling.


It's just marketing terminology- it's not hurting anyone. Seriously Xenos, you do the same rant everywhere. And Oni DOES mention manga relating to their books all the time.
http://ww2.onipress.com/​display.​php?​type=​bk&​id=​285
http://ww2.onipress.com/​display.​php?​type=​ge&​id=​25
It's actually listed as one of the genres on the back of some of their books. Though really, if it gets someone to check out something totally awesome they wouldn't otherwise [or bookstores to order it when they wouldn't otherwise], it's A Okay by me.

The whole OEL terminology is something TP took on, but they've basically gotten over it, and just call it all manga now [including manwha- they might say manwha on the net so as not to incur fan wraith, but it still says "The Manga Revolution" on the books themselves .What hardcore fans like us think barely counts for anything- it's what booksellers, and general readers who don't come to sites like these do]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12717

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of any of the contenders, but it's fairly obvious they were playing it safe by picking Oldboy. The movie's overrated, but at least it's already been established that it's "controversial", while picking Kirihito or Monster might have gotten them more flak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TSC



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not really a fan of any of the contenders, but it's fairly obvious they were playing it safe by picking Oldboy. The movie's overrated, but at least it's already been established that it's "controversial", while picking Kirihito or Monster might have gotten them more flak.


I don't think they picked Old Boy due to the movie. It is a good read for the manga itself. While I like Monster and Kirihito as well and do agree they also have good competition for the title , I still firmly think Old Boy was best pick for title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatzCradle



Joined: 25 Apr 2007
Posts: 230
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I love After School Nightmare! I'm so happy [it got nominated even though it didn't win. I think the series has to be one of the most underrated manga out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kagemusha



Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not really a fan of any of the contenders, but it's fairly obvious they were playing it safe by picking Oldboy. The movie's overrated, but at least it's already been established that it's "controversial", while picking Kirihito or Monster might have gotten them more flak.


How would picking a title that's gotten nothing but glowing praise by outlets that usually only mention manga in articles about how "chicks love them nutty Japo comix" be controversial? Monster has more or less revived nothing but positive reviews as well. I'm actually kind of glad the latter didn't win if only because I'm finding it isn't holding up as well during my second time through. Of course I would have nominated five entirely different titles, but I liked all of the nominees with the exception of After School Nightmare.

And not trying to start a debate about the merits of the movie, but is there any hugely popular film/anime/whatever that you don't think is overrated?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12717

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha:
Quote:
How would picking a title that's gotten nothing but glowing praise by outlets that usually only mention manga in articles about how "chicks love them nutty Japo comix" be controversial?


Monster has dead children, while Kirihito has spoiler[dead babies], and, given the recent flak that the Oldboy movie already got because of that V. Tech shooting, it's pretty obvious the Eisner people didn't want to take the fall by rewarding titles which would piss off paranoid parents even more than usual.

Quote:
And not trying to start a debate about the merits of the movie, but is there any hugely popular film/anime/whatever that you don't think is overrated?


I'd say Akira; though I'm not sure if it's really "popular", or just well-known. I'm also into Claymore the manga, and have a soft spot for any non-GX Yu Gi Oh manga. Eyeshield is my current favorite, but, again, I can't quite determine if it's "popular". In addition, I do read Berserk, although the arc after the anime ends seems to be hit-and-miss. I'm also sticking with Cromartie, in spite of its lame Planet of the Apes parody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TSC



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
given the recent flak that the Oldboy movie already got because of that V. Tech shooting, it's pretty obvious the Eisner people didn't want to take the fall by rewarding titles which would piss off paranoid parents even more than usual.


Thing is, In the manga, everyone is Japanese, not Korean like the movie. So that reason you gave seem pointless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Xenos



Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 1512
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kagemusha:
Quote:
How would picking a title that's gotten nothing but glowing praise by outlets that usually only mention manga in articles about how "chicks love them nutty Japo comix" be controversial?


Monster has dead children, while Kirihito has spoiler[dead babies], and, given the recent flak that the Oldboy movie already got because of that V. Tech shooting, it's pretty obvious the Eisner people didn't want to take the fall by rewarding titles which would piss off paranoid parents even more than usual.


Not seeing what you're getting at. They did reward a mature title that would piss off paranoid parents. They awarded the manga that inspired the Korean film that (idiotic) news reports linked to the VA Tech shooter.

Paploo wrote:
It's just marketing terminology- it's not hurting anyone. Seriously Xenos, you do the same rant everywhere. And Oni DOES mention manga relating to their books all the time.
http://ww2.onipress.com/​display.​php?​type=​bk&​id=​285
http://ww2.onipress.com/​display.​php?​type=​ge&​id=​25
It's actually listed as one of the genres on the back of some of their books. Though really, if it gets someone to check out something totally awesome they wouldn't otherwise [or bookstores to order it when they wouldn't otherwise], it's A Okay by me.

The whole OEL terminology is something TP took on, but they've basically gotten over it, and just call it all manga now [including manwha- they might say manwha on the net so as not to incur fan wraith, but it still says "The Manga Revolution" on the books themselves .What hardcore fans like us think barely counts for anything- it's what booksellers, and general readers who don't come to sites like these do]


Well, the reason I keep posting the same rant everywhere is because I keep seeing the same ignorant marketing bull crap everywhere. If people keep misspelling a word on a board about spelling and grammar, I'm going to correct them. If people keep using the term manga wrong on a board about anime and manga, I'm going to correct them.

I'm disappointed that Oni posts 'manga' as a genre on their site. I guess 'manga influenced' would be better. Still, I applaud them for not actually putting it on their books like the idiots at TokyoPop

Again, I want to clarify that this is nothing against the books themselves. I still get TokyoPop books, even American ones, because I like the creators. Well, not that DJ Milky guy.. whoever he is. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group