• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Baccano! (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, horror, supernatural
Themes: alchemy, crime, historical, immortality, mafia, non-linear narrative

Plot Summary: Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.
----------------------------------

Ever since the news article was posted here on ANN back in March, I'd wanted to check this out, since it's a crime drama set in 1930s New York City.

I really like the jazzy (and completely instrumental) OP of this series, and the animation sequences that accompany it have some funny moments. I also like how it tells you all the names of the characters. It succeeded in grabbing my attention, although I found myself thinking "Isn't this supposed to be a crime drama? What's with the OP?"

The first half of the episode confused me at first, with the whole "where to start the story" thing. It seemed pretty pointless at first, but it really only there to help set up the story, as it mentioned the ship crossing the ocean in 1711 and it introduced some of the characters. The most interesting character intro being the introduction of Firo, as it set a nice tone for the rest of the episode and perhaps the series. spoiler[Basically he gets two fingers chopped off (which caught me off guard in how it was executed), but he regenerates of sorts by "sucking" the blood and the finger tips back onto his injured hand, leaving no trace of blood or even scars on his fingers.] I instantly thought of Hellsing when I saw that. But in all, the first half of the episode could have been shorter, or at least better executed, as I struggled to make much sense of most of it. At least it ended in a funny way.

The episode then rolled full on into the story, which right now is making no sense at all as it was all over the place and seemed rushed, as if they were trying to cram as much as they could into the first episode after wasting so much time with the intro. Apparently the anime is going to be only 13 episodes, so it's not all that surprising that it felt rushed.

I can honestly say that the OP is quite deceiving. There are some funny moments, but the first episode is making it very clear that this series is going full of violence that is meant to make you wince. There are quite a few moments of violence throughout this episode that did in fact make me wince. The animators definitely didn't pull any punches in that department. There were also moments that weren't necessarily violence, but they were meant to be disturbing (such as spoiler[this one guy appeared to have lost all the skin and muscle on the lower half of his arm. I was quite surprised when they revealed that on screen, since that portion of his arm had been hidden off screen. He was all bloodied, but I honestly had no idea about his arm.]). Nothing overblown (except for maybe that one scene in which some sort of book outlet or small library gets pounded with bullets), but very effective, I must say.

I wasn't impressed with the visuals for the most part though, as I thought the animation looked very awkward at times (it was much too jerky), except for during those scenes of violence perhaps. I'm not normally all that picky about animation, so for me to actually comment on it is saying quite a lot. The is art quite darkly colored, which adds quite nicely to the overall feel of the episode. The designs don't seem to be anything particularly eye catching, but the costumes seemed to fit the setting well enough.

The voice work was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but it works (save for the weirdness factor of everyone speaking Japanese in NYC).

There wasn't much background music, but I liked what the little I did hear. The style really makes it feel like the 1930s, which adds a nice touch.

The ED was OK, I guess. It seems to fit better with the series in terms of the music (which I liked), but the OP is definately better, as it is more engaging. The animation sequence of the ED wasn't all that stellar either. The next episode preview feels more in line with the OP, as it was somewhat energetic nothing too over the top though.

Overall, though, I found the episode was rather boring. I'm honestly not all that impressed so far, since the series only true redeeming quality is it's music. I don't think I can call the unsettling violence a redeeming quality, but I was impressed with that also.

Grades for episode 1:

Overall: C
Story: C-
Voice Acting: B
Animation: C
Art: B-
Music: B

I think I'll give this series an episode or two to improve as it did manage to pique my interest just enough. If it doesn't become more coherent, though, I think I'll probably drop it. There are other series that I'd rather be watching right now, based upon this underwhelming first episode.

Last edited by Jedi General on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:51 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
The impression I got from the first episode is that this series is very disjointed and it'll probably take a couple of more episodes until things become clearer. I'm willing to stick with it until then. The one thing though is that this show has WAY too many characters. Too many to introduce in the first episode and too many to really get to know during the course of 13 episodes. And yeah, right now, the music is the best part about this show. I've watched the OP quite a lot of times. It's very addicting. Smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched Episodes 1-4, I can't believe I passed this show up earlier.

I've never seen anything quite like this in anime, actually. A gigantic cast of characters, 4+ completely unrelated factions all with their own motives and/or plans, that are slowly but surely moving toward each other. At first the cast seemed overwhelming, but it's kinda actually working out at this point and it's really fun to look at not only the groups' becoming at this point just slightly involved with one another (one member from one group coincidentally runs into one member of another, etc.), but how their ideologies compare to/constrast from each other. The happy-go-lucky guy who has big dreams and hopes, the cynical guy who looks down on the world, the trigger-happy guy who selectively chooses his victims, etc. also happen to like a lot of the characters, they're all fascinating in their own way, whether they're comedy relief or have a really interesting view of the world around them.

Anyway, the disjointed storytelling is also becoming a merit now. Right from the start it kicks up its gears, a vice president of a publishing company provides some words of wisdom on press storytelling, making fun of his assistant's ambiguous line of thought, although the joke ended up being on him, although it was insanely confusing in the beginning and nothing made sense. After episode two though, it started to make sense, and I started appreciating the way they told the story. The storytelling reminded me of Memento, starting from the end and working backward, although not quite as structured (in a good way). The scenes of interlap as the show works backward provide different angles on the situation and sheds a new light on what's going on, so it doesn't feel the least bit repetitive. The main action in the story seems to take place spoiler[in this supposedly haunted express train called the Flying Pussyfoot (odd name...), and you slowly find out through these episodes why each faction is there, and what they plan to do.] Most of all, I like how even though this show follows this "rewind time" kind of storytelling (don't know the name for it), it doesn't "feel" like that's actually occuring (again, lack of structure).

Anyway, this show totally rocks right now and I think everyone should give it a try (at least past Episode 2, it didn't really catch my attention until then).
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I enjoy it. It's a bit like Lost, with it's massive cast and non-linear plotline. It's very hard to follow, since it jumps around so much, but in an interesting way, like a puzzle. I find it to be a very interesting series.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
I've caught three episodes of Baccano! and totally love it. The first part of episode one was hard to follow, so I don't think I get why all of this is happening, but it's enjoyable none-the-less. I love the enormous amount of characters, yet this is probably the hardest time I've had remembering each of their names since Bleach.

I'm seriously looking forward to more episodes. It's got a creative story, tons of characters, and one heck of a crazy atmosphere -- the setting is pretty cool if you ask me. Eh, maybe I just love one-in-a-while series like these? Well, there are certainly not enough out there to compare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Grades for episode 1:

Story: C-
Animation: C

Alright, now this confuses me.

Judging a television series' story solely based on the first episode is so arbitrary. Particularly for a series like Baccano!, where you have multiple plot threads being established in the opener that meticulously weave themselves into the story. Just because the style itself is disorienting in the first episode and you don't understand everything that is going on doesn't mean that the story itself is bad; more likely it is that there is much more of a story to tell and you're jumping the gun by giving a label on any television series that isn't episodic based on its first episode.

And the animation score: huh? "Jerkiness"? The only time that occurred was during the opening theme, and that was a stylistic choice. Baccano! has some wonderful animation (helps that it's only thirteen episodes and has a budget). While I can accept that you don't like the art (I'm in love with it as it fits the atmosphere of the show so well), I'm at a loss as to why you would consider the animation "bad."

Anyhow, were it not for the masterpiece that is Mononoke, Baccano! would otherwise be my favorite from the summer season. Really entertaining characters (crazy names, to boot!), fun atmosphere, very tightly-written story (no doubt with Noboru Takagi), great direction (again, no doubt with Takahiro Omori), cool music, and engaging pacing, it's hard not to take a liking to it. Four episodes in and I cannot wait for more.

By the by, Andrew Cunningham has an overview of the light novels. Similarly he has created a thread on AoD about the anime adaption. Both are worthwhile reads.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Watched 1-4 and this show is just pure quality, I seriously can't believe the lack of discussion for it or every major anime forum I'm on.

<3 Issac and Miria, Firo is one cool dude and Ladd is just a beast.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
<3 Issac and Miria

I second this. Although I said I would be keeping up with this one, I haven't actually managed to get past those first three episodes. Actually, I haven't watched any anime this entire week. I wish it had more discussion because there are some things I am a little confused about (like the first half of the first episode).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching yet another excellent episode of Baccano! in episode 10 and I have to wonder why this series has failed to cause a stir. I'm not someone who wonders in frustration over why a niche title isn't popular but I really feel this is far from being a "niche" title. It has a great cast of characters, multiple plots taking place in multiple time frames, great action sequences and a very suitable BGM for the show.

I can understand why Seirei no Moribito, Mononoke (not hime), Dennou coil etc are hardly causing any discussion on the majority of forums but I'm honestly stumped with Bacanno!

Anyway some good news for everyone who is following this series, there looks like being 3 exclusive episodes of Baccano to be released on DVD. No one knows what they're going to be though Andrew C on AnimeOnDVD has confirmed they have nothing to do with the 5th novel.

As for episode 10 Ladd was just made of pure win this episode (like always!) from dealing with Czes to trying to impart his love on Chane. Looks like Ennis is slowly changing from being a ruthless follower of Slizzard (boy I can't wait to see him die) since she could've easily crushed Miria and Issac for the bottles if she wanted too. Speaking off Issac and Miria how can you know love them acting "normally" while in the gang hideout.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree Westlo, this is a great series that doesn't seem to be getting the attention it serves. You would think that an anime based in America would be an instant winner, but when you think about it, that might actually be why it isn't doing so well. Is America what people want to see when they watch Japanese animation? Maybe not when you live in America and can see it on TV every day already. I have no problem with it, but I could see where that could be lost on people.

I find the show fascinating and with only 3 TV episodes left it seems to be coming together nicely. The idea of having more episodes on DVD sounds great to me. If this show doesn't get a good English dub it'll be the biggest crime in Baccano!.

Emerje
IamnotArmand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Baccano is one of the most exciting series to come out this summer. Despite being an anime, it feels like an authentic American gangster story in all the right places, but also has a nice anime sensibility in all the right places. More than anything else, it feels like a Tim Powers novel. I could easily see this team adapting The Anubis Gates or Last Call. It would be nice to see this series get a US release...and another season!
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
There are more than enough novels to easily make up a second season of Baccano. I hope the inclusion of 3 DVD only episodes is an indication towards them eventually doing so.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 was just awesome, seriously if you haven't started Baccano and are reading this post just start it, it's too good to pass up.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched anything past episode nine (will do so later on) but I'm lovin' Baccano! more and more. The cast is one of the most likable and fun that I've ever seen in anime.

Westlo wrote:
I can understand why... Mononoke (not hime) [is] hardly causing any discussion on the majority of forums...

Should I create a thread here to give it some more viewership?

It's a crime that an experimental masterpiece like Mononoke is overlooked in favor of generic trash.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching episdoe 13 and I must admit I've only seen 1 episode of Dennou Coil and Mononoke and it's way to early to judge Ghost Hound. But I doubt anything in my eyes can top Baccano! as the best anime of 2007.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6