• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Court Orders Singaporean ISPs to Name Illegal Anime Downloaders

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RamzaOwns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
wow...thank god i dont live in singapore...

this news indicates on how odex makes money...
license the anime...then FINE EVERYONE!!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Well thats one way of doing it.

I wonder what would hapen if the subscriber list was mysteriously deleted Twisted Evil Probably a bad idea.

3 large though, that is a hell of a fine. How do they do fines in Singapore, do they expect lump sums or can you do payments. Otherwise a lot of peolpe are going to be hurting for rent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Didn't they start fining and contacting directly via email, no less, before this little info popped up?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
And this is what happens when you download licensed shows. You eventually get caught.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Well, I can only hope they're going after people that were downloading after the shows were licensed and not going about this retroactively.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
apprenticex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
I've actually read quite a few articles on this. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, there are significant flaws the news being reported about this, even on ANN itself...

RamzaOwns wrote:
wow...thank god i don't live in singapore...

this news indicates on how odex makes money...
license the anime...then FINE EVERYONE!!

The thing is... The cash isn't really much of a fine. Its a settlement agreement instead of bringing people to court. Many students have been caught for this (refers to an article somewhere) and the settlement can go anywhere from SG$5000 to SG$10000 (I do know someone who had to pay that much, poor guy). The claim is that the cash goes into paying the American company they say they hired to hunt anime downloaders down.

Odex has been accused of having horrible advertising. This is true, there ARE no adverts for their products anywhere except for in shops that sell their products. When the media mentions at how they had amazingly cheap sales and nobody bit because of fansubs, is partially true. What is more likely to be the case is that nobody knew of it, which is true.

What's worse is their quality... Their Gundam Seed Destiny looks like its quoted off seed-fansubs, and some others have said is VCD quality... The quality part's apparently being rectified... The whole point of this 'witch hunt' is because they say its part of some deal with Japanese anime companies which involves licensing of some new shows (we'll wait and see then...). Apparently Japan thinks of Singapore as a piracy hub... "Welcome to Singapore" (cue Pirates of the Caribbean music).

News articles say that Odex started with 17 people (all of whom use Singnet, but Odex denies this), and they've send thousands more of their letters. You can find the letters easily off some famous anime blogs... With Starhub won, anime downloading Pacific Internet users are doomed...

Oh, and they have a list of all the anime they say they've licenced at http://www.avpas.com.sg/AVPAS_Authorized.html ... Lots of anime aren't even licenced fully in Japan or America yet... And the list isn't updated... and is full of typos.

According to many sources, apparently most of the people who got caught were using bittorrent to download Bleach, Inuyasha and other lucrative series that Odex owns, not for the rest. AVPAS is formed from a group of companies, but it seems that e witch hunt's only getting Odex's products.

~That was a long first post...

Last edited by apprenticex on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
To the non Singaporeans out there, do note that whatever the news reports are totally...okay maybe partially bias and favours Odex.

Take a look at this:
http://anime.tedfox.com/2007/others/news/choice-quotes-by-odex-stephen-sing-and-peter-go

The director fines people, and GLOATS about it. After that was discovered, he got angry and filed a police report (that coward) and said that it was us Netizens who misinterpreted wrongly.

Also:
http://atalude.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/how-do-i-gotten-pwnt/

That was our own CSI: Otaku Singapore episode lol. Slowly we found out who the Director is. I believe he's spited by that =X

He simply wants to gain public sympathy, and is still refusing to admit his own wrongdoings of gloating etc. And refusing to at least review the company's products.

That is why one shouldn't complain if FUNimation/Viz licenses a show. Us Singaporeans rather have them than Odex ripping subs out of fansubs (which I presme, their way of 'improving' their subs as naturally fansubs do a better job) and selling them in VCDs....
technokiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
I am a Singaporean but luckily I do not download anime illegally. Those people deserved to be fined.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
This is a beach of ISP client trust and of user privacy. ISPs should never give the government people's usage logs in the interest of user free speech.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LoOpiNg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote
This ain't the states. Unfortunately, free speech does not exist in Singapore.
Nazzrie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
wow..lucky i didn't live at singapore. like rankothefiremage said before, i bet there is a high chance for the user logs be shown to Odex.

*maybe Odex really want to see the log to make a survey on which anime have high rate to be download. so, they can set to license it...just my six sence.... Shocked
Jkid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
LoOpiNg wrote:
This ain't the states. Unfortunately, free speech does not exist in Singapore.

[Off-topic response]

True, and Singapore's media is almost completely owned by the People's Action Party (aka Singapore;s "Government"), very undemocratic.
apprenticex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
This is a beach of ISP client trust and of user privacy. ISPs should never give the government people's usage logs in the interest of user free speech.
-G

Singapore's famous for its nanny-stateism. The government pwns privacy of information. We're feared by Japanese studios as a kinda Pirates of the Caribbean-like piracy hub, so the government is doing something about it... The AVPAS should be stopping all those HK bootlegs that keep coming in.. I still see them.

Starhub tried its best to protect the privacy of its clients, but LOST the lawsuit. The S'pore government pwns respect for privacy. I suppose Pac Net will have no choice but to follow suit. Singnet has a clause somewhere in its agreement that says something like "We reserve the right to reveal your information if you are involved with illegal activity" hidden somewhere in it, so they were the first ones to do it.

Well, the deal was said to be made to get Singapore more anime, so we'll see what new stuff comes out. I hope Haruhi (just like Malaysia has it shown on TV, late at night)...

I kinda believe what caused the fall in sales was coz of the increased amount on anime shown on TV in Singapore. We had Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist... and we also have access to Animax Asia.
Note: Animax has nothing to do with Odex, its an Asian branch of the Japanese Animax channel (i think), so we've been getting quite a lot of new stuff through this, like tsubasa chronicle II and Fate-stay night.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
Well, if they're limiting this to downloading anime that Odex has already licensed in Singapore, then I don't really see how people have any argument against Odex.

Complaints about advertising and quality aside, being licensed is being licensed and though, that's what your stuck with.

I was kind of irked when some ISPs appeared to give out information even without a court order, but this time they got a court order, so I'm not really sure there is much to complain about here.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
3 large is kind of a high price to pay, though. Not even I can pay that much.

But yeah. All those people stating that they're glad that they don't live in Singapore should remember: If that circus clown over at Odex succeeds there, America MIGHT be next. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3