• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Spriggan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yu: Meh, I wanted to see more of him.

Perfectly understandable. But I find Trident spoiler[and COSMOS] to be the more interesting bad guy.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Among "Spriggan's" failings,it's anti-Americanism being one of them,it's biggest is making a cloned Adolf Hitler a good guy. WHAT in the world were the creators thinking when they made that decision?!?! Is there a small neo-Nazi market that I'm not aware of? I had read on a earlier post that a Viz editor was offended when she saw this. I'd think any person with a shred of decency would be offended by that.
Why did they do this? Weren't the creators of this even aware that the majority of Americans don't exactly view Hitler in any favorable light? Were they even aware that not only are there the grandchildren of U.S. servicemen who fought in World War II,but also the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors who live in America might also be offended by this as well? Did they even care?

In my opinion,this was one of the worst decisions by any manga creator in Japan. I hope they're ashamed of themselves for doing it. Is it any wonder that "Spriggan" failed so miserably here?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Among "Spriggan's" failings,it's anti-Americanism being one of them,it's biggest is making a cloned Adolf Hitler a good guy. WHAT in the world were the creators thinking when they made that decision?!?! Is there a small neo-Nazi market that I'm not aware of?

Ya gotta remember: Japan was indeed a member of the Axis of Powers and not many Jews. They don't view Hitler with the same venom as the rest of the world. Hitler's atrocities never affected them directly.

Heck, Nazi Halloween costumes are regular appearances there.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Among "Spriggan's" failings,it's anti-Americanism being one of them,it's biggest is making a cloned Adolf Hitler a good guy. WHAT in the world were the creators thinking when they made that decision?!?!

But hey! He's only HALF good! -_-
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Among "Spriggan's" failings,it's anti-Americanism being one of them,it's biggest is making a cloned Adolf Hitler a good guy. WHAT in the world were the creators thinking when they made that decision?!?! Is there a small neo-Nazi market that I'm not aware of? I had read on a earlier post that a Viz editor was offended when she saw this. I'd think any person with a shred of decency would be offended by that.
Why did they do this? Weren't the creators of this even aware that the majority of Americans don't exactly view Hitler in any favorable light? Were they even aware that not only are there the grandchildren of U.S. servicemen who fought in World War II,but also the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors who live in America might also be offended by this as well? Did they even care?

In my opinion,this was one of the worst decisions by any manga creator in Japan. I hope they're ashamed of themselves for doing it. Is it any wonder that "Spriggan" failed so miserably here?

What the others said. Closest thing Japan had was Ultranationalist military officers leading the country. 'Sides, Nazism was not a thing they faced directly. In fact, there are only a few people who are known anti-Semitics. Around less than 10 last I checked. And you don't need to repeat yourself Snomaster1. We kinda got your opinion why Spriggan may not have clicked in North America. Perhaps Europe too (except Germany/Austria/German-speaking portion of Switzerland had a complete run, but it's possible that Nazi symbols were edited to comply with German federal law).

I believe you may want to direct that to Takashige and Minagawa. But I think they'll never answer them.

Only redeeming parts was with Brantz. spoiler[At the end, he died trying to save Japan from an artificial earthquake which was suppose to be perpetrated by COSMOS. He's also a Japanophile.] Same with the cloned Hitler due to his good personality removing the evil side at the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2