• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion on Cover of Rolling Stone Mag…in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
All his shows are pro-otaku. The otaku are redeemed as the winners, even when he's bashing them.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
All his shows are pro-otaku. The otaku are redeemed as the winners, even when he's bashing them.

Definitely wrong in the case of Love & Pop, and Evangelion isn't exactly a hymn to otakism either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why he has to pander to the otakus. Some of their habits/mindsets are pretty unhealthy and in many cases, creatively suffocating (hence his frustration at all the idiotic hatemail he got over the Evangelion TV ending).

I respect the hell out of Anno as an artist, and it saddens me that when someone tries to do something daring in the medium, fans who want nothing but mindless drek and hate art just crap all over it, and tell them "to give them more tits and robots".

Is it any wonder why my favorite Japanese animated productions are typically short, late-night cable shows that many otaku don't give a crap about?
Vir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear. I hope this is just a journalist spinning wool out of nothing to bridge the Eco-rock global warming feature with the Evangelion one.

The original Evangelion does sort of, kind of, have an ecological message, but it's not exactly the message of an environmentalist. spoiler[A fight to the death with other species are not exactly what we consider an environmentalist perspecitve, but it's not really related to pro-polution either....]
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
I don't see why he has to pander to the otakus. Some of their habits/mindsets are pretty unhealthy and in many cases, creatively suffocating (hence his frustration at all the idiotic hatemail he got over the Evangelion TV ending).

I respect the hell out of Anno as an artist, and it saddens me that when someone tries to do something daring in the medium, fans who want nothing but mindless drek and hate art just crap all over it, and tell them "to give them more tits and robots".

I'm gonna paraphrase either Einstein or somebody else: "One cannot simultaniously redeem and bash otaku."

And I'm not saying that the otaku should be catered to. In fact, that's been my argument since Haruhi became my worst fear; an Evangelion rip-off (down to the escaped Rei-clone) that's feeding the monsterous fanbase.

I don't know if I'm part of the "tits and monsters" crowd: If I'm not watching adult anime, I'm watching shows like Claymore, Code-E, Zombie Loan, Mr. Despair, and Higurashi. I consider everything else mainly pro-moe, plotless, and not worth the hype.

And yeah. Hideaki not responsible for Gurren Lagann. But his spirit was sure there Gainax tried to fight against the complaining otaku.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Definitely wrong in the case of Love & Pop, and Evangelion isn't exactly a hymn to otakism either.

Well, in a way, it is pro-otaku, because it's about him degrading women, so that his fanbase can feel better about itself.

Tyrenol:
Quote:
an Evangelion rip-off (down to the escaped Rei-clone)

Um, Eva's already a rip-off. It's like when people say that a gangster/heist movie is a Tarantino rip-off.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Oh my dream has come true!

Finally Nadia is white with blue hair and a smoking hot body...

about Rei...well...why Nadia is dressing as Rei?

LMAO... that pose made me think of Nadia way more than Rei... hehehe... how about a Nadia prequel, GAINAX?.. I'd pay good money for a series taking place before the timeline of the original Nadia anime. Razz
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Well, in a way, it is pro-otaku, because it's about him degrading women, so that his fanbase can feel better about itself.

Did you even watch Love & Pop? The movie does not at all sympathize with the ones who degrade; they are presented as feeble and disgusting people. The protagonist feels willing to throw away the money she received from the man who took her to the video store, she feels so sickened by his actions.

Really, if you were publishing these things, they could be construed as libel.

Tyrenol wrote:
And yeah. Hideaki not responsible for Gurren Lagann. But his spirit was sure there Gainax tried to fight against the complaining otaku.

Akai's remarks were out of line, certainly, but a normal reaction to criticism of several years' work nonetheless. But thank you for bringing this up; you, the very paradigm of restraint and amicability, should spread your peaceful methods and attitudes to every corner of this earth.

Can the Anno-bashers just give it a break? Your existance should not be focused upon trying to get others to come around to your opinion concerning a filmmaker.

scortia wrote:
how about a Nadia prequel, GAINAX?.. I'd pay good money for a series taking place before the timeline of the original Nadia anime.

As long as Anno, Sadamoto, and Sagisu were on board, I'd be willing to see it. Unfortunately, as interesting as seeing Gargoyle's rise to head of Neo Atlantis would be, the rights to Nadia are co-owned by Group TAC, and a few other companies I think. After GAINAX squandered the money allotted them for the Nadia Gekijouban, I don't think they'd be willing to partner again anytime soon.[/quote]
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Xenofan:
Quote:
The protagonist feels willing to throw away the money she received from the man who took her to the video store, she feels so sickened by his actions.

Up until then, though, it was fine and dandy. Rolling Eyes
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
How is it that are you still allowed to post?
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Watch the movie again very closely, especially how Uehara is portrayed and the guy who invites the girls for a special dinner at his home. Those characters fit the otaku stereotype in a way or another, and they're both losers. In the late nineties, Anno stated in an interview that he can most relate to Uehara, in a way he was unable to communicate properly with women back then. Besides, the movie isn't degrading women, its more of a love-hate relationship with schoolgirls and shôjo in general. The actual novel by Murakami Ryû is less focused on schoolgirl fetishism and more about social criticism in general.

No, really: Anno isn't the super-otaku some people make him out to be, cashing on otaku in every way possible, and hating him for that and being "pretentious". He's first and foremost a filmmaker with artistic visions and ambitions. In the mid-nineties he hated himself for being an otaku, and his relationship with otaku culture in general was kind of a love-hate relationship. Now, its ten years later. It will be interesting to see how his new Evangelion movies will differ content-wise from the old series and movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Anno stated in an interview that he can most relate to Uehara, in a way he was unable to communicate properly with women back then.

Now he's married. That probably changes his perspective quite a bit, I'd think.

Swissman wrote:
It will be interesting to see how his new Evangelion movies will differ content-wise from the old series and movies.

I'm supposing that he's not depressed anymore, so we can expect a less ambiguous ending. As much as I liked both original endings, it'll be interesting to have a counterpoint from a director with 10 additional years of experience.
tripdragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Is it to much to ask if anyone has a large scan of this image ? It would rock as a desktop image
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
About Nadia, its production wasn't exactly the best of times for Gainax. Gainax was hired by NHK TV to produce it, and the NHK bosses would constantly interfere, sending faxes of their suggestions - which Gainax then promptly sent to the trash basket.

For those reasons that they don't own it and didn't have a good time making it, it's doubtful Gainax would go anywhere near Nadia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3