• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New xxxHOLiC Series, Ah! My Goddess TV Special Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
True, I'm being optimistic. Very Happy

Nothing wrong with optimism Smile I hope you're right.
SakunoEchizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
After finishing xxxHolic I waited on tenterhooks for their to be information on a second series/season. And I waited until I could wait with baited breath no more (I do need to breathe to live)

This is very very cool - I haven't been this excited by anime news in a long time.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Just curious -- those of you who have really enjoyed the xxxHOLiC anime, did you read the manga? I'm just curious is all.
nefadol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Just curious -- those of you who have really enjoyed the xxxHOLiC anime, did you read the manga? I'm just curious is all.

*delurks*

Yes, and am still reading it up to the current chapter. At first I was turned off by how they jumped back and forth and with the animation inconsistencies, but after a while it grew on me and I didn't mind the changes. The mood from the manga remained intact (at least imo) and the fillers were even entertaining.

The one thing I liked about the fillers were that they were mainly just expanded up elements from within the manga. For example the episode when they stay in a house by the beach during the summer was directly from Himawari's original story from the 1000 ghost stories, and the snow fight episode was from a short chapter at the end of one volume. So, it's enjoyable to me if I don't take it too seriously.
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Yes i am reading it.I have yet to see the anime and i am a little behind on the manga.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
nefadol wrote:

The one thing I liked about the fillers were that they were mainly just expanded up elements from within the manga. For example the episode when they stay in a house by the beach during the summer was directly from Himawari's original story from the 1000 ghost stories, and the snow fight episode was from a short chapter at the end of one volume. So, it's enjoyable to me if I don't take it too seriously.

I like some of the expansions, though I have to admit I prefer some stories to stay as short side stories (such as the one with the fox...I really don't think it warranted as much time as it got). But I do like the idea that they aren't really making up their own stories. Even the one that's not in the manga was from the novel, or so I hear.

I'd still prefer that they keep them in the proper order though. I agree that the mood is the same, but the characters can't grow and develop the same, or at all.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I loved xxxHolic! I think it's my fave CLAMP series Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I think the pinky swear episode was all filler and that was probably by far the worst episode, if it was a novel it was probably not a good one. And I think they changed the stories they tell in the 100 horror stories episode just so they could use the stories used in the manga chapter as filler episodes. I think the only one they did use was the hotel with the extra room story but they do have another season coming up.

Usually I don't mind filler very much and sometimes I think it can be neat in other shows, but for a series like xxxHolic which is written in a certain way and in a certain mood it is easy to see how different it looks when a story is not written by the original creators. The mood is different and there are some out of character issues. Not that a lot of the series didn't feel like this already anyway... Now I know that it is inevitable to have filler for an anime but I just didn't like a lot of the expanded stuff or the filler episodes.

Oh and yes I prefer the proper order. For a series that relies on the order for character and plot development so much, placing the stories out of order makes it look mostly episodic which is less fun than each episode building towards something.

Last edited by undeadben on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Regardless of how the xxxholic series goes...I can't wait for it to be released here. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Ditto. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eevaleena

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
Uwaaaahhhh!! Ah! My Goddess special? And it's Lind arc! My most favorite arc from the manga! Does this mean I can finally see spoiler[Keiichi hosting Lind angel????] Well... hopefully they animated that scene... Smile
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
Yay good news for second season, I wonder if they will include the Tsubasa references because it will be important in the later issues.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
chaosbladeuk wrote:
I wonder if they will include the Tsubasa references because it will be important in the later issues.

I would doubt it, since they haven't included them up to this point. It would be really awkward to suddenly start doing it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
chaosbladeuk wrote:
I wonder if they will include the Tsubasa references because it will be important in the later issues.

I would doubt it, since they haven't included them up to this point. It would be really awkward to suddenly start doing it.

Also in the R1( Confused ) manga it really isn't a whole huge big of a deal in xxxHOLiC. True it explains some things, but not real important.(least up to whats been released so far damn you undeadben!!! (j/k)).

With that said I wouldn't mind if they did start doing it, even if it is awkard. Just as long as they do it in a way that makes sense. With the story out of order the way it is it would be tottally possible, even if unlikely. What I am hoping for is a total revamp as such that will make the first one work better, tie in the manga more, and make the combination of the two overall better. I am not conserced if it follows the manga precisely, just as long as it makes sense and is enjoyable. If I was I wouldn't enjoy GitS as much as I do.

The biggest thing I want is an animation increase Sad
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Also in the R1( Confused ) manga it really isn't a whole huge big of a deal in xxxHOLiC. True it explains some things, but not real important.

Actually it does become pretty important in a couple chapters later on. Not so important that the anime series can't live without it though, so I don't see them going back to start adding some of that in. Especially as the first series already missed some crucially vital moments in the cross-over aspect. It would be hard getting back to it to add it in a different story. If anything we'll probably just have to watch the background for those items that keep making short surprise appearances here and there, but if you blink you miss them.
Quote:
(least up to whats been released so far damn you undeadben!!! (j/k)).

I couldn't help myself it was just getting so good. And keeps being good. I can't wait to get volume 10 next month and I've already read it! That is how good it is. Too bad volume 11 isn't coming until February next year, but with the US release practically caught up to the Japanese I guess there'll be longer and longer waits until it ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3