• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New anime convention for Sydney - SMASH

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok,

We now have a second more fan orientated convention happening in sydney. If there's anywhere in Australia that can handle more than one dedicated anime convention it's Sydney, but will their attempt succeed? Your thoughts please.

ST~
mjgeo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
From what I can gather - without knowing much about conventions - so long as the organisers are decent, it should be a success.

A fan driven, cheap 1 day event seemed to work well in Melbourne, so there is no reason the same can't happen in Sydney.

Good luck to 'em.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
true, but from what they're estimating on the website, they're cutting things too fine. $3000 for Rent with $2500 from 500 attendees at $5 each and $500 from traders.

Sure if they can get the numbers, but to me they're cutting it fine.
sidneylien

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi there,
I'm actually one of the people behind Smash and I'm just writing to confirm some stuff.
We'd like to have the cost of entry at $5 per person, but that most likely don't happen.
What will probably happen is that we'll be doing $5 for pre-registration and then $10 entry on the day.
But things are currently tentative and we're still in negotiations with the venue to get the prices down further so we can translate that into lower entry fees and lower stall hire fees.

We'll be sure to keep you guys up to date Smile

Ta.

Sidney Lien
SMASH Operations manager
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hmmm.. I knew never been to a fan based anime convention before. The only convention i've been to is Animania back in October in Syndey 2006. I dont know if animania is fan driven or not. Did anyone go to Animania?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Animania is not a Fan Based convention, it's closest to a commercial convention. Many people have gone to animania but all the reports I recieved about last year's conventions are not very enticing.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
Yeh, to tell you the truth, i expected more of animania. I expected more games to play, more stores/booths, more food stalls, more celebs and fans etc etc.

I was completely wrong, left me dissapointed at the end of the day. I didn't buy much, just a dvd boxset which i got sucked in to buy.....Damn those Madman booth sellers!....anyways, i hope SMASH can do better than animania did.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
mjgeo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
true, but from what they're estimating on the website, they're cutting things too fine. $3000 for Rent with $2500 from 500 attendees at $5 each and $500 from traders.

Sure if they can get the numbers, but to me they're cutting it fine.

If the organisers have a long term vision for the event, I don't see that as much of a problem even if it runs at a loss for the first year.

I'd be more worried about creating a convention that people would want to come back to next year, maybe even with a few friends.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Sure it's ok to have a loss with a commercial convention from a business perspective. But in terms of fan based conventions with fans footing the financing, having a loss one year can prove devastating. But it all depends on who is involved.

I will agree with you on one point, it's better to concentrate on running a fun and enjoyable convention that you will want to come back to, rather than a boring expensive one.
sidneylien

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, just posting to mention that I'm no longer part of the commitee due to "creative differences" but for those who were afraid for Smash, they should really be afraid now. While there are capable members on the commitee, it is becoming more or less one giant clusterf**k.
the heads don't have a clue at all.
Not slander or libel or rants from a disgruntled ex-member.
Simply the reality of things.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
/me groans
Dammit, that lasted all of 2 minutes :p
Annie^^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I am just here to say that some progress has been made since Sidney left the SMASH! committee, and I don't believe the organising team is in as much trouble as he thinks it is.

Due to the venue hire and miscellaneous costs, we did have to bump the entry price up from $5, but we are keeping it at $15 or under.

The website splash page is in the process of being set up, and it will be available by the end of this month.

Annie Kao
SMASH! Public Relatioins, 2007
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Thanks for letting us know. Keep us posted.
Mister_Slick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
Imho, it's FANTASTIC news. A fan-based anime convention in Sydney is exactly what the NSW anime community needs to be a part of the thriving anime community the rest of Australia enjoys. Commercial events offer little to encourage the community to mingle.
Annie^^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
The website splash page has been set up:
http://www.smash.org.au/

The forum's up too, but it's a bit quiet at the moment.
http://www.smash.org.au/forums/index.php

Ticket prices are confirmed at $9 pre-registration and $12 at the door.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2