• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits = Hentai?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
The people who tend to label Chobits as Hentai are young (i.e., ten year olds) kids. Still, yeah, it does toe the line often. For example, spoiler[in the manga, it's implied that Hideki masturbates.]
I think daxomni might have hit upon the true reason for this (Chi looks young/loli) but I also think you have a good point. While I'm not sure everyone who makes this is error is necessarily a child, I do think they're a tad green to the issue of hentai. I suppose there are a few things like what you mentioned that might be an issue (like the scene where Chi is turned on for the first time) but still, I think maybe it's just a complete lack of knowledge of what the real thing looks like.

I've seen real hentai of several varieties. (Yes, I'm a little bit of a pervert.) Chobits doesn't come close. At most, it might be called ecchi as daxomni mentioned, but I think that would be pushing it too. I mean, anime wise we're not even seeing Chi's nipples and it's not like the series is heavily focused on sex, at least I didn't think that was a primary focus. (Or maybe I was just paying more attention to the whole issue of people and persocoms.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Chobits is not hentai. In order for something to be called hentai it has to have sex included in it and usually graphic sex at that. Chobits only has some psuedo-nudity and a whole bunch of sex jokes.
panties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
You'll find lots of fanservice and questionable content with a rather loli-ish theme in my view.

We had this exact same conversation a few months ago, but I'll say it again because it doesn't seem like it's sunk in yet:

Chi is not a loli.

Whether a character is a loli or not is NOT based on mental maturity or age. The one and only factor in determining a specific character's state of loli-dom is their body type and breast size. This is a fact, not an opinion, and some people just don't seem to get that for some reason.

Flonne is somewhere around 1,700 years old, making her one of the oldest characters in Disgaea, but she is a loli because she looks like a ten year old. Sixteen-year-old Dokuro's little sister Zakuro is eight years old, but not only is she much taller than Dokuro, she also has huge boobs and looks like she's 18. Therefore, regardless of her physical appearance, she is not a loli. Chi may have the mental maturity of a child, but she definitely looks like she's at least 16. Lolis are required to be prepubescent. If Chi is a loli, then so is Nanaka from Nanaka 6/17, who due to an accident believes she is six years old when she's actually 17.
Amasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
So Chii is probably the epitomy of moe. Utterly helpless to the will of whatever man stumbles upon her.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
So Chii is probably the epitomy of moe. Utterly helpless to the will of whatever man stumbles upon her.

Click for picture.

Description above the yellow box at lower left corner: "Landslide overwhelming support. The most memorable; Queen of 2002."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
I read both pages and no reply from the poster about where he got the idea Chobits was hentai. I'm honestly interested in how he got the idea, or who told him that to start with. I agree that the possible moe/loli element may be way it got a higher rating (that and I think the most hentai-ish element is where her "on" button is) but it hardly fits it. I found the sex jokes to fit perfectly considering that Hideki is trying to get into college and goes to a prep school. What else do college age men talk about? Knitting? It's not even like the jokes and sexual references were that crude in nature. You want crude funny sex jokes go watch GoldenBoy.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emiya Shirou.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
I think I had a conversation like this before.
Just like, what others said, it's not Hentai not even closer.

*Ne, I wonder where's the author who made this thread*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to sound as though I've had a personality change, but I wouldn't really disagree all that much with the MA rating. You can't rate things by just looking at little bits out of context and saying well, this looks fairly tame. Context is everything. For example, there is an image of a naked pubescent girl in Lucile Hadzihalilovic's film "Innocence", rated 15 in the UK and R in the USA, that would possibly merit a prison sentence if found out of context. The point of Chobits is that it explores the limits of (hu)man-machine relationships, with the term "relationship" taken in its fullest possible sense - that is, not excluding a sexual relationship. If you take any particular scene then maybe a Teen rating could be appropriate, but the whole thing is surely borderline MA.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Plus it also originally ran in magazine with other manga oriented to college aged kids/adult readers. Although Clamore is a Shounen Jomp title and seems to more for an older age group so the original intent is not always the best method to classify the age grouping either.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I'm probably going to sound as though I've had a personality change, but I wouldn't really disagree all that much with the MA rating. You can't rate things by just looking at little bits out of context and saying well, this looks fairly tame. Context is everything. For example, there is an image of a naked pubescent girl in Lucile Hadzihalilovic's film "Innocence", rated 15 in the UK and R in the USA, that would possibly merit a prison sentence if found out of context. The point of Chobits is that it explores the limits of (hu)man-machine relationships, with the term "relationship" taken in its fullest possible sense - that is, not excluding a sexual relationship. If you take any particular scene then maybe a Teen rating could be appropriate, but the whole thing is surely borderline MA.

A MA rating is hardly appropriate for Chobits. I can see a 16+ but not an MA rating. There is nothing in Chobits that would qualify for a MA rating as far as I'm concerned. Show me in context or example where Chobits would warrant a MA rating instead of 16+.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
If horror movies were only rated by horror movie buffs then many of them might suddenly receive "PG" ratings, but that wouldn't make the ratings any more valid. Yet that's what I seem to be reading as the basis for some people's opinions on why Chobits is rated too conservatively. Just because we're anime fans and just because we've seen much worse doesn't necessarily mean that Chobits is appropriate for younger audiences.

MA might be a bit much but here in the US sexuality is still fairly taboo. Sexual themes involving anything that even remotely resembles a youth or is targeted at a youth is extremely taboo. To an average American who's never seen any anime, Chobits might appear to be some sort of cartoon that included seemingly underage sexuality in the guise of a robot love affair. The MA rating simply reflects that reality. If every anime title was rated only from the perspective of diehard anime fans then Chobits would probably have a lower rating. But personally I'm not that bothered by its current rating and I don't yet see why so many other folks are. Unless I'm mistaken you're still free to show it to your young kids if that's what you think is appropriate for them. Heck, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if your kids were able to buy it themselves outright.

Last edited by daxomni on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
A MA rating is hardly appropriate for Chobits. I can see a 16+ but not an MA rating. There is nothing in Chobits that would qualify for a MA rating as far as I'm concerned. Show me in context or example where Chobits would warrant a MA rating instead of 16+.

I can't show you one particular thing. That was my point, although maybe I confused things by talking about the RL movie because the situation there is the exact opposite of Chobits. The movie contains scenes that are deemed acceptable in context, but out of context they could potentially be criminal. In Chobits, no single scene could seriously warrant more than an older teens rating, but taken as a whole I'd say the MA rating is possibly deserved. Don't forget that Chii and the other persocons are machines, so one of the main themes of the show is the normalisation of sexual relationships between people and machines. Human to non-human sexual contact is generally a taboo subject in most cultures, for example, bestiality. In Western culture, we usually tolerate the use of machines for sexual gratification (i.e. sex toys), but things like Candy Girl and Make Pure dolls surely push the boundaries of acceptability. Chobits takes things to the next stage. Chii is a walking, talking Candy Girl, spoiler[created for the purpose of one day "falling in love" and presumably afterwards providing sexual gratification.]

The very fact that people can't see why the show should be MA shows just how successful it has been in normalising something that would otherwise be barely acceptable. So, I stand by my assertion that the MA rating is not misplaced.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Chii is a walking, talking Candy Girl, spoiler[created for the purpose of one day "falling in love" and presumably afterwards providing sexual gratification.]

That's an incorrect presumption. spoiler[Consider where her on/off switch is located. It also resets her memory.]
banas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Chii is a walking, talking Candy Girl, spoiler[created for the purpose of one day "falling in love" and presumably afterwards providing sexual gratification.]

I totally disagree. Chii is nothing like that. First of all, a hentai is called a hentai because at first glance you could already say that it is. The mere fact that you're asknig if Chobits is a hentai tells you that it is not, because you know a hentai when you see one. If you are unsure if an anime is a hentai, then it is highly possible that it isn't, knowing what a hentai is. Chii did not do anything that would make the entire series a hentai. There's just some nudity and some stupid jokes but that's all. It's not like she had sex or anything. What you said was implied, given the fact that you wrote "presumably". As for the rating- if ratings could control people, why do we have minds? I respect your opinion, I really do, I know that's what you believe in, but look at it this way: not all people believe in that rating, right? And also, if as long as some nudity was present in an anime it would be called hentai, a lot of animes would be considered a hentai then. Have you seen the first few episodes of Angel Tales?
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
That's an incorrect presumption. spoiler[Consider where her on/off switch is located. It also resets her memory.]

I did indeed consider those things. In the first case, don't you think that it could have been a deliberate design decision spoiler[to put the switch there so as to get Hideki sexually involved with Chii right from the start?] In the second, Chii's memory is spoiler[very different "post-awakening". She was reset and lost everything, but rebooted successfuly]. And in any case (not that this seems a very appropriate place to be giving sex instruction), just because spoiler[her crotch is off-limits], it doesn't mean she can't provide sexual gratification.

banas wrote:
I totally disagree. Chii is nothing like that.

Chii was created to enable spoiler[all persocons to have emotions. In order to fulfil this function, she had to fall in love. If the love was not meant to be reciprocated,] why was she made so goddamn cute? And I never said Chobits was hentai. All hentai is MA, but not all MA is hentai. You're looking at the individual scenes, and I've already said that if you do that you won't rate it more than Teen. I'm saying the subject matter justifies the MA rating, not any one scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3