• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay - Kuroshitsuji II's Alois Trancy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
That photo has so much photoshop, I can't tell if it's a girl crossplaying, or a really ugly doll that has fallen to the floor OVAH 9000 times.....

I mean, god.....where do I even start on the things wrong with it?

* The fabric of the clothing looks way too shiny and dull at the same time.
* The face and hands look very disproportionate to each other. They also look unnatural as well. The hair also looks unnatural as well.

And a minor point:
* It's Kuroshitsuji cosplay, so automatically, there is the air the cosplayer is bat**** insane until proven otherwise.

Also, the photo is under a Creative Commons license, not outright Copyright. So no need for the copyright symbol.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one freaked out by this? The photoshop makes it look very un-human, and I know the point of cosplay is to look like the character you're dressing as but this is...

It looks like those creepy porcelain dolls whose eyes follow you around.

It's okay to not have a perfect cosplay, don't go crazy on the photo shop.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know photoshopping your head onto a CG body was considered cosplay...
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
That photo has so much photoshop, I can't tell if it's a girl crossplaying, or a really ugly doll that has fallen to the floor OVAH 9000 times.....

As it turns out, neither, it's a boy. But yeah, photoshopped to hell.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
My God, that's creepy.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

And a minor point:
* It's Kuroshitsuji cosplay, so automatically, there is the air the cosplayer is bat**** insane until proven otherwise.

I wonder what your basis of comparison is on sanity if it, for simple fact being a Kuroshitsuji cosplay, makes one insane.... If liking and cosplaying as a Kuroshitsuji character makes one insane, what of the characters such as Pyramid Head (from Silent Hill), the Joker (from Batman), or any other horror/violent drama/crime drama series character would be.

There are Kuroshitsuji fans who completely don't count Kuroshitsuji II for they feel that it, even despite its name, didn't fit in the universe.

And just because you may/may not like something doesn't mean people who cosplay as such are "bat**** insane" just because you say they are.

And, yes, I've cosplayed as a Kuroshitsuji character...for two years in fact. But the craziest group I managed to find myself in at a photoshoot was that of Gurren Lagann cosplayers. So if I had to pick which group was more insane, I'd say the Gurren Lagann group was; for they too were making comments about other's cosplays as you are. Maybe that's why I only wore that cosplay one time.

Cosplay is an artform and hobby; hating on another person's choice of cosplay is wrong. You don't like it? Fine, then you don't have to cosplay as part of that group.

I simply just want to make the point that just because someone loves a series and wants to cosplay as a character doesn't make them insane by that simple fact alone. You're being bias and unfair.

The only thing I do agree with you is that the photoshop on the image went too far; I'd consider it more of a photomanipulation instead of cosplay... Photoshoping eye-color is fine since many characters of anime sometimes have unnatural eye color and there are those that cannot wear costume contacts.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
You're being bias and unfair.

Speaking from experience dear. The only other group of cosplayers that are more insane that i've run into....are Hetalia cosplayers.

But thats for another thread....
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a lot of Photoshop... Shocked

I'll be cosplaying as Alois to AWA, it really is a fun costume to put to put together.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
...yeah I hate to be 'that guy' (/girl) but exactly why was this one submitted? I'd rather see people's cosplaying skills, not photoshop skills (or lack thereof). brr...
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Wonder what the original image looks like.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

As it turns out, neither, it's a boy. But yeah, photoshopped to hell.

Emerje

I agree.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The head is about the only thing not photoshopped (sans lighting and such). And, when you think about it...It's not like the haircut is anything recognizable. A kid with the cut wouldn't turn heads if he were walking down the street.

So, basically, he styled his hair and photoshopped.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Also, the photo is under a Creative Commons license, not outright Copyright. So no need for the copyright symbol.

Works released under a CC license are still protected by copyright law, so but the statement "Photo © WildSid" is still true. Copyright protection is only lost when the work enters the public domain (cc does not put it in the public domain).

Furthermore, the copyright symbol is never required by law (but may be required by license), it's just a good way to attribute the work (and the CC license this photo was released under required attribution, although not necessarily in that particular manner).

-t
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
shoop =/= cosplay
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1