• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Licensed by"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
As per this post, I believe we need to clarify the meaning of "licensed by" in the encyclopedia.

There would be two ways to do this. The first would be to create some complicated differentiation between licenses, and other agreements.

The alternative, which I recommend, since it's both simpler and closer to our current usage, is to define, for purposes of the encyclopedia, that the term "Licensed by" includes any form of agreement that allows a company distribution rights to a title within a particular market when they do not hold those rights in the market in which the title was primarily produced.

Alternatively, the term "Licensed by" includes any form of agreement that allows a company distribution rights to a title within a particular market when they are not the exclusive, world-wide, top level master licensor.

In both cases, BEI would be appropriate for GiTS in North America. But in the case of a title like Princess Ai, the first definition would have "Licensed by: Tokyopop" and the second definition would not have "Licensed by: Tokyopop." Difference being that they own the title, but it was produced in Japan.

I suggest that we link the term "licensed by" to the lexicon, where the matter would be fully explained.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Methinks it's about time to disconnect the linkage between "licensed by" task and the boldface (indicator of North American availability) in alphabetical lists. It is also quite odd that all other languages are forced to use "publisher" (manga) / "distributor" (anime) when those companies are indeed licensees.

Having them disconnected has another benefit: when the license expires, the boldface can be removed while "licensed by: [company] (expired)" can be left untouched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1