• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, August 13–19: Fruits Basket Rises to 3rd Best Ever Spot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
....wow... *thats all i can say*
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quote
Let's shoot for a #14 ranking. Anime smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:01 am Reply with quote
Now, if only we could also read articles saying that an anime DVD had broken a similar record.

This is quite impressive. Manga seems to be growing bigger as time goes on, or at least the big name titles are. Hopefully, this trend will continue and cause a little bleed over into anime sales. It would also rock if success over here led to a series getting an anime when it hadn't had one previously or a new season if it had.

I do wish there were a shocking best seller. So far, the only ones to score high have been Bleach, Naruto, Negima!, and Fruits Basket. (At least, those are the only ones I remember being reported here.)
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Considering all the talk about the big revelation in this volume, I am surprised it hasn't done better. Of course, it could still rise some. I don't know if I can handle these frustratingly long waits between these remaining volumes, though!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Considering all the talk about the big revelation in this volume, I am surprised it hasn't done better. Of course, it could still rise some. I don't know if I can handle these frustratingly long waits between these remaining volumes, though!

Yeah. I've read the volume and I have to say I'm surprised its ranking thus far has been so average. But like you said, its run isn't over yet, so there's always a chance of improvement. The very focal points of this volume, spoiler[being the unveiling of Akito's childhood and her true gender, along with Kureno's secret of being released from the "bond", Ren, Akito's mother, and the intriguing relationship between Akito and Shigure,] I thought were extremely powerful plot-elements for the story, and any of them could quite easily mark an important turning point in the final 6 volumes.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the longer waiting periods between volumes' releases, but I do know that I want this experience to last as long as possible, without losing its edge (which I don't think is the case, after reading this powerful installment). Anime catgrin
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Let's shoot for a #14 ranking. Anime smile

How about let's shoot for a breaking into the top 10. That's what I consider a victory for the series itself, myself, and my fellow fans of the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I do wish there were a shocking best seller. So far, the only ones to score high have been Bleach, Naruto, Negima!, and Fruits Basket. (At least, those are the only ones I remember being reported here.)

I believe Rurouni Kenshin made the list (though it could have been some other list) a few times back when it was coming out. I don't remember how hight it got, though.
Samurai Drifter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
Once Fruits Basket is done with, manga will be relegated to the bottom of the list at best. With the possible exception of Naruto. It's a once-in-a-decade hit.

I kinda doubt it will rise much more, as almost all manga has hit its peak in the second week on the list, but I could be wrong.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Samurai Drifter wrote:
Once Fruits Basket is done with, manga will be relegated to the bottom of the list at best. With the possible exception of Naruto. It's a once-in-a-decade hit.

Well, I won't let myself worry about that right now, seeing as even if volume 17 didn't get any higher onto the list, there's still six more volumes that can give it a go. If volume 16 had the power to entrance people and such to get it into the top 20, then I'm sure that the later volumes as we are headed towards the finale of the series can give it an even bigger push.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Considering all the talk about the big revelation in this volume, I am surprised it hasn't done better.

We're still talking about the supporting cast though. The big chance of breaking the top 20 on the charts is going to be the volumes dealing with the end of the storylines of the "big five" main characters - Tohru, Kyo, Yuki, and I'd also include Momiji and Haru. From the description of the next volume, it looks like it might end Haru and Rin's storyline, so that's going to be a big indicator of how the rest of the series is going to do.

Also, keep in mind that it was very hard to avoid spoilers about the revealation unless you've been avoiding all Fruits Basket discussion on the internet for a long time (I think I was spoiled about two years ago), so unfortunately alot of us knew beforehand what was going to happen anyway, and people on a budget might not necessarily have run out to buy it right away. Another factor is that alot of people might have been away on summer vacation and not necessarily have gone to a bookstore.

Still, that ranking was pretty impressive and nothing to sneeze at.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I believe Rurouni Kenshin made the list (though it could have been some other list) a few times back when it was coming out. I don't remember how hight it got, though.
Before my time maybe. Or I just wasn't paying as much attention back then. Either way, that's still not really a surprise. I'd just like to see a total and complete WTF? bestseller. Something that should have been a small seller that just goes bannanas.

Kind of like if Wide World of Fungus outsold Who Moved My Cheese Again, I'll Kill Them!.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1