• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-24]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Zac wrote:
ultrapostman wrote:

Seriously? I'm not trying to disagree or anything, but that's pretty suprising to me. Sure I've seen female anime fans, but I always assumed that guys outnumbered them. If you don't mind Zac, could you tell me what makes you think that?

Go to an anime convention.

ANY anime convention. It's mostly girls.
True, but most of these girls are 15 on average, and too obsessed with Final Fantasy cosplayers or too busy stalking voice actors to notice the "normal" guys.

Sigh its true. My friend i'll call LiLi is too obseesed with Kadaj and Hyde to see another guy Maky who likes her. Yet she gives him no chance because she likes asian guys and fiction guys. sigh her loss. I could've taken maky for myself but that be so Sae from Peach girl.

anyways THERE ARE SO MANY GIRLS INTO ANIME! OH MY GOD!

yet...I can't find a GF...sigh.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Isn't it published by Scholastic? Aren't they a publisher of childrens/youth tales? Harry Potter is a book written for children older people can enjoy, but older people enjoying it doesn't make it an adult story. Narnia is a tale enjoyed by adults & children.

ikillchicken
Sure, but like I said, the first was intended for kids so obviously it would be published by a company like that. Then it was such a success its no suprise they published the rest regardless of wether they remained childrens books.

I think continuing this discussion is pretty pointless. Its largely degenerated into you saying "Its a kids book" and me responding "no its not." and then you going "yeah, it is". Its going nowhere since this isn't really that easy of a thing to make specific points as to why it is or isnt a childrens book.

That's kind of an awfully coy take. It's as if CSSYUEH is saying the sky is blue, and your saying the sky is orange, but is pointless to argue the fact because it's all opinion. Harry Potter is a children's book albeit with a great 'all-ages' quality, which is far from a unique thing. Arguing that the Harry Potter series changed to an adult aim is an argument that often comes from folks who, for whatever reason, are somehow embarrassed to admit they enjoy something who's primary audience may be younger then themselves. This is especially odd here on an anime/manga message board, in which at least 80% of the material is aimed at an audience not much older than Harry Potters primary audience.

J.K. Rowling states at length about how it's primary aim is at children, all major reviews acknowledge the fact, libraries stock it/discuss it as such, etc., it doesn't seem a subjective point. If you going to successfully argue the Harry Potter series changed focus to a primary adult audience, the onus is on your side of the equation to prove the point with statements/author acknowledgments to the effect, not on CSSYUEH to prove a negative.
Kagatoamv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Chiming in about comedy AMVs, I've always found comedy very hard. I have tried my hand at a few comedy AMVs, and every time I get about half way through them and start to wonder, "Is this even funny?" When its done, hearing people laugh at what I've put together is very gratifying.

Zac's advice on not letting critics get you down is solid. Keep at it, as long as your focus is on having fun editing the video and not on winning an AMV contest, you're doing alright.

You really have to enjoy the editing experience, not just winning contests. The competition at the AX contest was very impressive, I didn't see a single video in the finals that didn't deserve to be there.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Many yes Zalis but not as many as you think. Many of those 15 year olds you mention who like Final Fantasy could physically be attractive and not come off as the typical anime geek girl.
It wasn't at an anime convention, but one of the Dragon Cons I attended a few years back (haven't been in like two or three years, I kind of miss it) was a young woman cosplaying as Yuna from Final Fantasy X. The word "wow" came to mind when I saw here and it had nothing to do with the costume. I've seen some very nice looking cosplayers at conventions.

It's too bad there isn't a dating service for gamers, anime/manga fans, etc.

www.otakubooty.com

Otaku booty is actually really good and afforable. I even met a boyfriend there once. You con also find some anime fans/geeks at geek2geek or sweet on geeks.

The community around otaku booty isn't the best in my opinion. too much snarkies and "cool geeks" who think they're too good for somethings. But very useful and I met some cool online friends there as well.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two other 'otaku' dating sites out there, though I don't know what they are called. I recall one being linked to before in these discussions and I"m sure it was NOT the one Viga linked too. So those kinds of sites do exist. But I wouldn't faith in those kinds of sites. I have little faith in dating sites to begin with and even less for otaku ones.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
For the otaku dating question (all of Zac's humorous points notwithstanding), dating a girl who likes anime is just like dating a girl (which has apparently already been successfully accomplished). The big difference being that if you happened to decide that going to see (for example) Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie Conqueror of Shamballa (which *hint for the person asking the question* happens to be showing in many places on Sept. 20) would make a fine date, she's more likely to agree that's a nice idea. Castle of Cagliostro looks like mighty fine backup a week later too. Wink

(Of course if that Fullmetal Alchemist t-shirt she wears is symptomatic of 'Ed Elric +Roy Mustang relationship fantasy otaku' then I'd reconsider my position, but YMMV.)

Re: the answerfans question about embarrassment, Speechguy's reply made me a bit sad for him. I just turned 42 myself and have been quite passionate about anime for years. However all of my family, friends, and co-workers know that I'm an anime fan, go to cons, have a girlfriend with like tastes, etc., and I have never been made to feel embarrassed by it. I guess I have no shame, because I don't anticipate ever feeling to old for the things that I enjoy.

All of the other answers expressing embarrassment just sounded like round 70 of "what type of anime fans annoy you most" with the embarrassment that others should feel projected on themselves. The stupid things other people do should embarrass them, not me.

(edited to remove extra word)

Last edited by MokonaModoki on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought Anime fandom was closer to 70% female. But I am not going to argue with Zac, and seeing as how he has much more experience with anime fans than I do, I'll take his word on it. The reason there are more female anime fans than male fans I think is because of he story telling. I could be wrong, but I'm basing this on my observations and what I learned when I used to work at a comic store. I asked my boss why It seemed like females buy more mang than guys, and Jill (my boss) confirmed it. She said that guys typically like action stories. Sex/violence, etc. The ratio of male to female comic buyers is something like 8 to 2. Manga (especially shojo) focus on relationships and Jill said that those are more popular with females. The other reason, at least this seems to be the case with preteen/early teen girls is what I believe Zac referred to as "OH MY GOD! HOT BOYS!" Bishies are popular. Who knew? (That wa sarasm in case anybody didn't get it.) However video gaming and and table top gaming is definately male dominated. sigh.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
All of the other answers expressing embarrassment just sounded like round 70 of "what type of anime fans annoy you most" with the embarrassment that others should feel projected on themselves. The stupid things other people do should embarrass them, not me.

Unfortunately, while it should embarrass them, it doesn't. What it does instead is reflect badly on everyone with similar interests so that everyone is painted with the same broad brush. That's why you get a widely spread belief that fans are unwashed tub-o-lard geeks with no social skills even though only a few really are. Those of us who actually care about how we're thought of get to suffer because of the misdeeds of a few.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
I thought Anime fandom was closer to 70% female.

I don't think anime fandom is primarily female. Now MANGA fandom, certainly but being a fan of manga is not the same as being a fan of anime, any more than being a fan of comic books is the same as being a fan of TV and movies. You get some overlap, but they are not the same thing by any means.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin:

Firstly, if you think its that blatantly clear that its a childrens book, then by all means, stick to that thought. I certainly haven't been able to provide a specific arguement to convince you otherwise. However, CCSYueh hasn't been able to make much of an arguement to change my mind either. Its pointless to continue this if neither of us are able to make an arguement for what we think.

Secondly, As I've said before, if you or CCSYueh are claiming that Harry Potter is fo kids in the same way Anime and Manga is for kids (meaning teens, etc) then I dont even disagree. If thats the case, I think me and CCSYueh are on the same page here. I assume though by the fact that she didn't respond at all when I asked that and also kept describing it as for children (not even for kids which could be taken vaugely) that this is not what she means.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Firstly, if you think its that blatantly clear that its a childrens book, then by all means, stick to that thought. I certainly haven't been able to provide a specific arguement to convince you otherwise. However, CCSYueh hasn't been able to make much of an arguement to change my mind either. Its pointless to continue this if neither of us are able to make an arguement for what we think.

Secondly, As I've said before, if you or CCSYueh are claiming that Harry Potter is fo kids in the same way Anime and Manga is for kids (meaning teens, etc) then I don't even disagree. If thats the case, I think me and CCSYueh are on the same page here. I assume though by the fact that she didn't respond at all when I asked that and also kept describing it as for children (not even for kids which could be taken vaugely) that this is not what she means.

ikillchicken, as you alluded to, it could be your just misinterpreting the drift of 'for children'. In the classic literary sense, it's referring to tweens/young teens, not an elementary audience. The Harry Potter series is probably just a few notches under 'Young Adult' (though it may drift there in later books at times), which in a classic sense refers to mid/older teen material that often include touching on sexual/political/social/violent themes (ala Robert Heinlein's 'Red Planet').

I don't think (and I mean this conversationally, not combatively) there sounds like there is much dissonance between any of the opinions here in regards to Harry Potter being aimed at a younger (with the previous context) audience, but being written in such a way to have wide appeal. It's just a pretty uphill battle to make the claim the series shifted it's later focus to cater to 'adults' (over 21).

Opinions are ones own of course, and being this part of the discussion doesn't have any 'otakubooty' in it and has become kind of OT, we can tip our hats and agree to disagree if the issue range hasn't narrowed.[/b]
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Now, on dating...yeah my favorite topic....

First, not to brag ofcourse, but I had almost 10 girlfriends and I might hook up with other 13 before that, not to mention Im just divorced of my 11 year marriage and living with another awesome girl for the past 3 years....

Ok now, here is the secret of "How did I do it"

Easy, being honest.....with any girl....

I would have been rejected almost 200 times and it's fine because is like humans work, there are a million videogames out there but that doesnt mean you gonna play them all and love them all, the same with men and women...

Im not super cute and I been dating girls since before there were "outside japan otakus" I dont wait like a stupid for 4-5 years being a friend with the person before telling them I like them, usually I do this as soon as I met them, the faster they say no, the faster I am on my way to the next one, and is easy because....

"you are honest"

I differ on "how to hook up with a girl that likes anime" because you don't go out with a girl because she likes the anime, you go out with a girl because you like her, you like her regardless of tastes, clothes, economic status etc...

To be accepted is the first step to make things work, and there is when you point her out that you like anime and you are willing to show her good stuff and in return, you are willing to watch / listen everything she likes...

"Otaku girls" in the other hand have this misconception that they will be swamped of date invitations by the same otaku geek types but it works the same way for them anyway.

My recomendations:

-Don't ask girls out on anime/fantasy conventions, most likely stay out or talk to her when the convention is over.

-Mix anime with other hobbys you might have (if you are a religious otaku, just keep it secret)

-If you like a girl, be polite, be honest and be "easy to deal with" be a "no questions asked" kinda guy, takes time but you hate pests as much as they do, so dont become one.

-Smile, talk, listen and date...ask out as many girls as you can, in the malls, on college, in the cinema, in the library, on group meetings and whenever you least think of, and dont be afraid to ask "Do you have a boyfriend?" is not a crime to ask and is not a shame to be rejected... Is part of life anyway. and dont start out with punny cheesy lines, just ask "scuse me? what's your name? the thing is I think you are very nice and I would like to know you" and take it from there...A relationship is different to being an anime fan, so if an otaku ask you "How can I date girls" just say...Like everyone else...Make an effort.

You are not assured to find a girl that likes anime but that would be using the person, no? and you dont want that, so go out and ask girls out, and diss the airheads like the previous one because you want someone that loves you for what you are, not superficial people that think they are sooo hot and everyone wants them, Guys are expected to ask the girls out anyway, she might been asked a thousand times...but I asked a thousand girls out anyway, she is just a number as much as I am one....

Be honest people...be caring and honest.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Goodpengin wrote:
we can tip our hats and agree to disagree if the issue range hasn't narrowed.

Well, I dont know about CSSYeuh but it looks like we dont even disagree. Your description seems pretty close to the mark. Although I think the earlier books can just as easilly appeal to older teens even if its maybe intended for younger teens. Then as you move into the later books its more intended and suited to mid to late teens. And ofcourse all of the books can still appeal to even older people (I dont think anyone as been caiming otherwise though.)

Also, though, I've never once said it was for "adults". I said initially that it could appeal to adults, and later that it was not intended for children (meaning non teens) and also that it became more "adult" as it went on (maybe mature would have been a better term to use).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Tada!
Exactly, guys.
As a (now) 47 yr old gal who has no problem reading manga in public & whose work cubicle is wall-to-wall anime/manga posters (plus I think my little capsule Saint Seiya figures are cooler than the Homeys many of my co-workers have), I have no problem liking what I like. I liked Harry Potter when I read it to my daughter when it first came out. I like many different anime & it changes from time to time, but my fav still stands at CardCaptor Sakura as one that wins me over every time I re-watch it & I know it's aimed at the 8-10 market. Doesn't change that it is sweet & well written.

Wow-I always assumed by most of the sites I visit guys make up the majority of anime/manga fans. I know Comic-con has to be at least 60% male attendees, but it's a mix of American comics, cartoons, movies, fantasy genre (novels) as well as anime/manga. (Maybe I just kept bumping into that male log jam around that 1-legged gal in the leather bikini at the one booth) Guys sure make a lot of noise every time a new yaoi title gets announced & I;ve seen guys here insist females make up the minority of manga readers even though the companies said otherwise at Comic-con a few years back (They point to Naruto & Bleach, but I read BLeach & I know a lot of gals read Naruto)

Cephus-
I'm not into gore. More cheap vamp horror. I have a couple VHS tales of a vamp cab driver in New York, There's a title called To Die For about vamps, THe Hidden is good. I'd love to see Student Bodies released on dvd. I have Death Race 2000
Stuff like that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two other 'otaku' dating sites out there, though I don't know what they are called. I recall one being linked to before in these discussions and I"m sure it was NOT the one Viga linked too. So those kinds of sites do exist. But I wouldn't faith in those kinds of sites. I have little faith in dating sites to begin with and even less for otaku ones.

While I find the idea of an otaku dating site interesting here's an idea for people. Find someone who interests you and vice versa first. Then try and get them into anime if they're not. For starters do not count someone out just because they don't like anime. You might miss out on someone nice. Two, keep in mind if your significant other doesn't like anime doesn't mean you can't get them into it. My gf didn't like anime much at all. Only liked Inu Yasha and nothing else. Now she watches everything and goes to cons with me and loves everything. She's very grateful for me getting her more into it because she got to meet Chris Ayres who she thinks is neat as anything due to his theater background (she loves plays and singing and the arts). So just because they aren't into it now doesn't mean you can't convert them as they say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14