• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-24]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:

Panda: Awww.. is he for dinner?

Oh, the comic genius that can be made with this....

Panda: It's what's for dinner!

Panda: The Endangered White Meat

Pan-da: It's Bread! (.hack//TWILIGHT reference)

Crap, though--I just got pwned by Answerfans. I think I'm one of those 'elitist' fans, because I prefer good shows like Haruhi Suzumiya or Lunar Legend Tsukihime, and I have a friend who's nearly a Narutard. He's also a huge Ikki Tousen fan, and I can't meet him without looking up an anime and him asking me what it is, to which, I answer, "You don't know it--it's not fanservicey."

I'm just kidding when I do that, but....now I feel like a bad person. *needs Tupperware Panda*

Another thing...Zac was just kidding about the 'All-spark, chest-grab' thing, right? I may have never kissed a girl, or gone out, but I know that guy's hand + girl's breast = pain for the guy....
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
Perhaps it is assumed that the reader is growing older as the series progresses?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
[OT]

ikillchicken wrote:
I personally find that stereotype that the Harry Potter series are kids books, almost as annoying as the one that all "cartoons" anime included are for kids.
To be fair, it did start out as a kids' book. Doesn't mean it's not fun. In fact it's very fun; but it started out as indisputably a children's literature piece.

Doesn't mean anyone reading the books would be any less mature. Only idiots and pretentious people would think that.

I personally think that J.K. Rowling's story grows with her core readers so to speak. Each book, relatively speaking, gets progressively more...not sure mature is the right word...adult(?).

[/OT]

Column:

lol @ the dating advice. Great sarcasm, best one it a while. Ahahaha going Zelda on people's asses. To be honest I've never been in touch with the whole geek fandom other than on a very uncommitted level -- never played Zelda , played very little Final Fantasy, never really watched Transformers, no geek hangouts at arcades or anime clubs, and so on and so forth -- so even that kind of desperate last measure probably won't even work from me. Smile

I wonder if the flake next round would be from someone who took Answerman's advice to real practice. =P

Flake: Poor kid.

New column section: Interesting section. But I must agree with Jackmace Ryo: I don't feel like the answers are what the question is for. I guess I was hoping for a more.. personal touch to the answers I suppose, not a general statement of internet culture ranging from "Yaoi people are annoying" to the more vehement and arguably more justified "pretentious people are annoying." To me, it's like, "We know that, thanks, I can agree even; but considering how the question's framed I'd rather read what you think about *yourself* having (or not having) those embarrassments than reading yet another internet soapbox."

Bah. What am I expecting other than internet culture on the frickin' internet? Ah well.

Nice column this week by the way.
vylo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
"3. The best place to take them on a date is to the 9:40 PM bargain theatre showing of Transformers. When Optimus Prime tells Shia LeBeouf to cram the All Spark into his chest cavity, grab her breast and stare right into her eyes.
"

Priceless. That has to be the internet quote of the year there.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
Ok, I guess I'll be the oddball and say that Sky Blue isn't that bad. No, it's not great but the animation is pretty awesome. and I've seen plenty worse produced in Japan.

And if you like My Beautiful Girl, Mari, Lee Seong-gang has a new animated feature called Yobi, the FIve Tailed Fox. It's not the surreal masterpiece that Mari was but it's still a cute movie with some amazing artwork. It has some of the most beautiful background art I've ever seen plus a soundtrack by Ryo Kunihiko.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
Aww, I didn't see anyone list one of the things I listed: cosplayers who don't look good cosplaying, specifically big guys trying to cosplay as little girls. Sorry, doesn't work.

Well, this week's answer should be interesting. My answer is pretty short so I don't feel like sending it in: "nothing"
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bonus Tip: nerd girls are more likely to put out as their level 63 Night Elf Hunter.

Fixed. Cool

Quote:
I'll say this, and I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion, but in order to make a comedy video that "isn't lazy", you need material of your own. You need some kind of unique or original concept, a mashup of two things that aren't obvious.

That is true. Two of the funniest AMV's I ever saw were "Real Ninjas" and "Anime: Lifestyles of the Animated and Fabulous" by Michael Zubrzycki aka Editinghermit on AMV.org. I remember seeing those videos at AnimeNEXT and nearly falling out of my chair with laughter, and he provided most of the voice work himself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
The only thing I really feel entitled to from R1 companies (i.e. the thing that upsets me most when it isn't there) is a translation of the opening and ending themes (I'm looking at YOU, Viz!).

As for dating otaku girls, (being one myself) the best advice I can give you is this: If she tells you to watch an anime, watch the damn anime. Even if Answerman called it the "girliest girly anime ever to be watched by girls." True story here, the biggest fight my boyfriend and I ever had was over Princess Tutu, which I had watched fansubbed and once ADV released the first volume, I wanted him to watch it. And he refused, mostly because of what Answerman said (back when he had the "Caption This" section). We argued for close to three hours back and forth about it, and finally came to a compromise that he could wait until the second volume (which was supposed to come out a month later -_-) to watch it. And then ADV didn't release volume two for ages, and to this day he still hasn't watched it. I'll have to bring that up again...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
I think Mary Groutage expressed my answer to the weekly question best. It's not so much the community at large that embarrasses me, it's the annoying few whose behavior frankly gets on a lot of people's nerves (like last week's "anime is a race and I'm winning" dude). The hyper yaoi fans or naive newbies don't both me so much because at least they're enjoying themselves. It's when your definition of having fun is to step on other people's toes that you cross the line.

Quote:
2. Play a lot of World of Warcraft and/or any other popular, recognizable MMORPG.....Try and join their guild. Brush up on your sexy emotes, and they'll go wild.

At first I laughed, then groaned. I guy I know actually did this to impress a girl. Now he's now moving to Oklahoma to live with his WoW girlfriend and her SEVEN KIDS. 0_o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tlizerz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
EVE Online isn't that obscure, I know a lot of Air Force members who play it....and I'm a girl, woo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:
jetz wrote:
...but I only liked the game shows, because all of their fiction works are similar and I’m tired of seeing the same plot in different shows over and over.
o_0 That's like...oxymoronic reasoning...almost...

Hmmm.. you're right. I should have added that I noticed all Korean dramas I've are usually about love, with someone dying in the end. That's why I said they were similar.
I was more referring to the game shows bit, but if you've got a generalization, you've nailed it in the head. Wink

Not that American reality TV/quiz shows are any better in that department.

Or just, overall, good.
brichibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's get this thing moving along so I can waste my entire weekend playing Bioshock.

Bioshock *__* You're in for a most awesome weekend Smile
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I've discovered some of the hate for manwha seems to be the die-hard anything-not-Japanese-sucks.

A good tie-in with the Answerfans responses. The zealous behavior is a big problem with the fanbase. They see something that looks like manga, see that it's "flipped," even though that is the actual format for Korean writing, declare it crap. "It's not Japanese enough!" they cry, fervently holding onto an image in their heads that is only a fraction of the real Japanese culture.

So you toss them a copy of Shin Angyo Onshi. It's published in Japanese, the art is great, the story is nice, and suddenly they're happy again. Then you point to the author and artist. Youn In-Wan and Yang Kyung-Il. Both Korean, both live in Korea. They run away, and snatch up a copy of Bleach, fleeing the scene in tears.

Yes, a lot of Korean manwha repeats basic premises over and over. But there are lot of great titles out there, and some of them are finally starting to be licensed. I already mentioned Shin Angyo Onshi, steeped deeply in Korean folklore, it's a good gunslinger epic. Someone else mentioned Priest (which I haven't read, but heard a lot of good things about). There's Unbalance x Unbalance, a drama involving a sexy teacher and a strong willed student who she can't seem to figure out. Goong, a mondern day romance series about a unified Korea and their royal family, but also with a surprising amount of depth in the political backstabbing of the court.

A couple other gems I've found that haven't been licensed:
-Ares, another epic war story with mercenaries. A lot of fighting and political intrigue.
-Id, a series much like Record of the Lodoss War, a good fantasy adventure series.

There's a lot of recycled garbage coming out of Korea, but there's a lot of great series too. If the zealots looked a little further back at Japan's releases, they'd see a similar percentage of garbage coming out of Japan. Check the RIGHT TURN ONLY!! archives, there's plenty there.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
The only thing I really feel entitled to from R1 companies (i.e. the thing that upsets me most when it isn't there) is a translation of the opening and ending themes (I'm looking at YOU, Viz!).
Kind of related to quality issues, but has anyone else bought DVDs from Bandai Entertainment (or other R1 companies) with dirty, scratched up discs with or without large coffee stain-ish/heat damage-like distortions on the disc?

I've returned both my Haruhi LE volumes at least once, and still have the ugly stain-like "damage" to my broadcast disc on the 2nd volume.

I've seen dirty, scratched up discs from other purchases, ex. - Borat at Target, but none on the scale of BE products. New products.

What gives?

Edit: Fixed company name.

Last edited by SharinganEye on Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
I literally laughed my ass off about otaku relationships! Oh man, awesome! Anyways, another good Answerman and a very dense flake. =.=

Well I wanted to send an e-mail about the questions, but I have been busy fixing computers. Yeah, my ex job turned into my "I'll hire you until you are done" type of job. >.<* I am embarrassed about the anime community. However, they are like any type of community and believe me, there are stuff that even gamers are ashamed of! Yeah, part of the gaming community, among plenty others. Still, I do not mind if you call yourself an otaku and think that is something cool, but there are two things I do mind:

If you are an otaku, then you should not be offended if someone calls you an otaku. You called yourself an otaku, be proud of it dammit!

Do not force otakuism onto others. Not all anime fans want to be hardcore anime nerds. As much as I like anime, I dislike the anime otaku lifestyle. Neutrality for me dammit!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14