• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Manga, Bible with Japanese Artists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
And the Gospels have been changed over time. A Biblical scholar (find the book, Misquoting Jesus) talked about how the story of Jesus saying "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" was not in early Gospels. Then suddenly, it appeared in the margins of a copy of a Gospel (not unusual, since all copying back then had to be done by hand), and finally entered the main text.

Yep, that would be the "pericope of the adultress" that I mentioned in my last post. The thing is, every major translation of the Bible I have ever seen (NIV, ESV, NASB, NLT, NKJV, etc.) notes in the footnotes that these sections are disputed and not found in the earliest manuscripts. Another example is the last chapter of Mark. Were they in the originals? Nobody really knows, but Christians are not trying to hide the fact that there is a dispute over those chapters. We make it plain to anyone who wants to know.

I can't remember if Manga Messiah includes a footnote about this. I know that the story of the adultress is in it (I remember reading it), but I can't remember many details. And as for the Christians that come into your store, I'm sorry you have to put up with them. For anybody who asks about how Japan has morals, you can floor them by quoting these verses:

Romans 2:14-15: "For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them."

Which you can shorten, without changing the meaning, to "For when the Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires ... they show that the work of the law is written on their hearts."

Like I said, it'll floor them, because I'd be willing to wager that most people probably haven't ever read that chapter before. If they did, they wouldn't be asking stupid questions like that.

And also in the interest of full disclosure, I was born into a protestant family, and went through a time where I was really put off to Christianity because I couldn't stand Christians. So I researched a whole bunch of other religions extensively before I became convinced that what Christ actually said described the condition of the human heart better than any other religion, and that Christianity was true. However, I love dialoging with other people, because I can understand why some wouldn't agree with me.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
beelzebozo wrote:
And the Gospels have been changed over time. A Biblical scholar (find the book, Misquoting Jesus) talked about how the story of Jesus saying "He who is without sin, cast the first stone" was not in early Gospels. Then suddenly, it appeared in the margins of a copy of a Gospel (not unusual, since all copying back then had to be done by hand), and finally entered the main text.

Yep, that would be the "pericope of the adultress" that I mentioned in my last post. The thing is, every major translation of the Bible I have ever seen (NIV, ESV, NASB, NLT, NKJV, etc.) notes in the footnotes that these sections are disputed and not found in the earliest manuscripts. Another example is the last chapter of Mark. Were they in the originals? Nobody really knows, but Christians are not trying to hide the fact that there is a dispute over those chapters. We make it plain to anyone who wants to know.

I can't remember if Manga Messiah includes a footnote about this. I know that the story of the adultress is in it (I remember reading it), but I can't remember many details. And as for the Christians that come into your store, I'm sorry you have to put up with them. For anybody who asks about how Japan has morals, you can floor them by quoting these verses:

Romans 2:14-15: "For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them."

Which you can shorten, without changing the meaning, to "For when the Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires ... they show that the work of the law is written on their hearts."

Like I said, it'll floor them, because I'd be willing to wager that most people probably haven't ever read that chapter before. If they did, they wouldn't be asking stupid questions like that.

And also in the interest of full disclosure, I was born into a protestant family, and went through a time where I was really put off to Christianity because I couldn't stand Christians. So I researched a whole bunch of other religions extensively before I became convinced that what Christ actually said described the condition of the human heart better than any other religion, and that Christianity was true. However, I love dialoging with other people, because I can understand why some wouldn't agree with me.

Amen brother, I heard that. I know how you feel. I've had my own spiritual journey and I've been through some tough times. But I stand by my faith in Christ.
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Indeed.
Anyway, looking forward to this and I hope it will be well made. I just recently read most of Tezuka's manga-biography "Siddhartha", which was extremely well told, and I couldn't help but imagine how that sort of presentation would carry over to the NT. I enjoyed what I saw of the "In the Beginning" series, but its emphasis is OT and ends at the birth of Christ.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
ArielTsuki wrote:
Even the thought that Christian hate crimes is the most acceptable hate crime is absurd.

I'm not quite sure I should respond to this, because it's getting really off topic, and I want to respect the forum rules. But, since this is a discussion thread, and the discussion has moved in this direction, I will post a response. I just don't want this to become the main topic.

I see where you're coming from, but I stand by what I said. I didn't say it was the most prevalent, I said it was the most socially acceptable. The only thing I would change about what I said would be to replace "hate crime" with "blatant discrimination." I apologize for the word mix-up. It was after midnight, and I chose the wrong word. However, I have a "no-edit" policy for my posts after someone has responded to it.

Let me illustrate about the social acceptability. Somebody says that homosexual marriage is stupid, and that the people who think homosexuals could or should live together in a marriage relationship are poor misguided fools who don't understand the world at all. Another person says that the idea of Jesus rising from the dead is idiotic, and the only people who believe that tripe are people who don't ever think critically about anything and don't understand the world at all.

Now, I think all of us know that both of the above statements are misguided and false. But which one is more socially acceptable? The second, by a long shot. It wouldn't even be socially acceptable to say the same thing about Muslims.

Let's go into some examples of blatant discrimination. You can determine whether they are hate crimes or not. I went through a nine-month application process for a job, only to be told during the interview that I wasn't going to be hired because I was a Christian. If the same thing happened to a Jewish man, he could speak out against it, but I couldn't. I worked at the YMCA, and a member had his membership revoked because he was "sharing his faith" on YMCA property--an action that didn't go against membership policy at all. Nobody contested it. I don't know how many kids have been beat up on playgrounds because they are Christians. Heck, my brother was almost arrested in Barnes and Noble for proseletizing because he was designing a logo for his church, and he was simply asking people's opinions on it!

So you decide. Is blatant discrimination against Christians the only acceptable form of discrimination left?

My sister had an exam at university on a Sunday and she couldn't change it even when she said she had to go on Church on Sunday. If she was Jewish and she had an exam on a Saturday then they would have changed it but because Christianity is so popular it's not a religious excuse. If a Muslim person asked me what my opinion as on their Mosque's logo I would not be offended. I agree that society is throwing religion away and forcing people to keep it at home, but society has to realise that religious people also represent society. I don't care if a Jewish person is praying near me because they aren't hurting me. I thought developed nations are supposed to be free where people are supposed to practise whichever religion they wish or not wish to choose without discrimination. If people want to pray in public or talk to other people of their religion about their religion in public let them. They aren't harming anyone and they are free to practise their religion.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Yun Yun wrote:
mufurc wrote:
Yun Yun wrote:
Now... I hope Yaoi fan girls don't start "zomg omg I'm so hot Judas betraayy Jesus and Jesus KISSED HIM ZOMGOMG FTW BBQ!!!111222" D=

You're quite late with that... Bible fanfic, even slash Bible fanfic has been around for a long, long time.

ewww x D;; damn fans D=;; I can laugh with the incredible popeman but not with Jesus being the uke!!

Gotdamn....I don't even go into that joking territory. It IS a joke right? There's actually Jesus yaoi?

Even as a yaoi fan I feel kinda eww eww eww! Mad or aw hell nah! Mad

I haven't searched for any, but I'm sure you can find some. lookie slash!

http://www.fanfiction.net/book/Bible/14/2/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/

There was this one website I found where this one guy was convinced Jesus was gay for his disciples, but his Bible referrences didn't suggest anything. Gotta like how some slash fans go to the extreme and think everyone is gay.

EDIT:
http://www.fanfiction.net/community/Pure/24896/

A slash community! God and Satan slash lol reminds me of something from South Park
YOU. HAVE GOT. TO BE KIDDING ME. THIS IS A SAD, SAD, WORLD... THE END IS COMING PEOPLE!! REPENT, SINNERS!!! (Sadly I'm half-serious... Crying or Very sad )
JustKawaii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
CAN'T WAIT! Was wondering when they'd do this!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Probably another 6,000 years on top of when the original was first released. Like this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8