• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Poster Auctioning for 500,000+ Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
erm, no offense but 500,000+ Yen for a signed poster sounds like a tremendous waste of money, but then again, i never did get why people would be willing to pay ludicrous amounts of money for something so worthless as a signature on some paper or a shirt or whatever
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I understand that forged signatures are quite common in the world of anime collectibles, but, why can't they just include an image of the blank poster, or maybe an image of the real poster with the signatures obscured? For 500,000 yen, all I see is a box marked fragile and a piece of paper that says "3D poster".

Geez...for 500,000 yen, I'd hope it come with something else, like the Petit Nendoroid set or the Madoka jewelry...
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It should come with one of the girls at that price Razz
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
For 500,000 yen, all I see is a box marked fragile and a piece of paper that says "3D poster".

Between ANN's picture and the apparent dimensions of the packing envelope on the listing, I am not seeing a whole lot of depth. How do they get 3D out of that?
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would pay that quantity for a poster... but I am quite stingy in terms of collecting Anime hyper But I find it interesting as it reflects how sucesful the series has become.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Between ANN's picture and the apparent dimensions of the packing envelope on the listing, I am not seeing a whole lot of depth. How do they get 3D out of that?

Lenticular?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
While I loved the show, I have to say this is one of those situations where the old adage "more money than sense" springs to mind.
scchan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
I will have to chime in that this is a rather large waste of money.

I am not going to use that how many homeless people can be fed argument... Instead I will say that is the price of 600-1000+ manga volumes!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Getsuga311 wrote:
erm, no offense but 500,000+ Yen for a signed poster sounds like a tremendous waste of money, but then again, i never did get why people would be willing to pay ludicrous amounts of money for something so worthless as a signature on some paper or a shirt or whatever

that's 500,000 yen is not that much. There was an Eva poster sold it for alot more. Don't forget people paid millions of USD for movie posters, crazy old baseball cards, random stamps
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, even if I were a fan of that show, I can't imagine justifying that price at all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy anime as much as the next guy, but for $500,000 dollars you could easily fly to Japan and just buy the poster some where in the area and then fly back to your state.

No offense though, but I also wonder what one would do with said poster if it were purchased? I imagine re-selling would be a option, but you'd have to charge either slightly more than 500,000 to brake even with the sale. Maybe a little less, but go to low and you rate of return won't be all that much.

In the end though, it really does look like a waste of money and I am not even sure who would buy it for a even higher price.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, even if I were a fan of that show, I can't imagine justifying that price at all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy anime as much as the next guy, but for $500,000 dollars you could easily fly to Japan and just buy the poster some where in the area and then fly back to your state.

There were only 10 made.

It's a collector's item.

These kinds of auctions (at such high prices) happen all the time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

There were only 10 made.

It's a collector's item.

These kinds of auctions (at such high prices) happen all the time.

I realize auctions for collector's items occur all the time, it's just I honestly imagine there being a ton of people buying items like that for that high of a price.

Besides being a anime and manga, I've also been a video gamer for the last seventeen years, so I know about collector's items and that some items were only produced in a very small quantities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1