• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've decided to try and solve the recommendations problem. Recently, there was a request to add a recommendations thread to the index of the All Discussions thread. So figured, why don't we just make a general recommendations section within the index? We can make a separate thread for all of the genres listed here and index each thread, then link them to all of the people who keep bugging for recommendations.

But the problem is eliminating redundancy. All too often, whenever people make suggestions, you always get a handful of people who either recommend the same title or just say something to the degree of "yeah, I'm with him!" We're going to try and get rid of that by selecting the best "presenter" then having the rest of you complimenting (not repeating) the recommendation with additional comments (spoiler-free, of course).

We're still trying to figure out how to incorporate all the other threads into each other as well, but I'm going to be real busy this week and won't be around on the weekend, so I'm getting this out of the way now.

And as always, please do not post one-liners or straight-up lists, or they will be deleted, no questions asked. Please refer to the All Discussions thread starting at this post if you'd like to make suggestions on formatting this new system. Thanks.

From the genre listings thread wrote:
Action (fighting, chases, gunplay, explosions)
Emphasis on fast-paced action sequences, often at the expense of characterization or story-telling. Action sequences tend to center on direct confrontation, with the protagonists embracing violence and resolving conflicts through physical force.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Amongst action titles recently released in North America, Black Lagoon is the one whose name most frequently gets mentioned. Great production values combine with frequent and intense displays of fighting and gunplay to create one of the elite examples of the genre.

For those into ninja action, Basilisk is a must-see. Though it attempts to distract the viewer with its love story, really the series is all about its graphic super-powered ninja battles and lush Gonzo-produced visuals. Those who appreciate this one should also check out the much older Ninja Scroll, an intensely graphic ninja splatterfest which set the standard for ultraviolence in anime.

For tamer fare, check out Noir and Madlax, two classic examples of the "girls with guns" subgenre. Both are as much mystery stories as action tales but feature plenty enough inventive killing and gunplay to warrant their inclusion and recommendation here. For a more humorous example of this subgenre check out the mid'90s OVA series Gunsmith Cats, which packs plenty of real-world gunplay and grenade use as well as featuring car chases.

<more>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
One cannot forget Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid. The former isn't as action geared as the latter, but both of them still offer lots of mecha action, comedy, fan service and even some romance thrown in for good measure. Also, both have great production values when it comes to animation and artistry. Not to mention the FMP series has some of the best English dubs around (in my opinion anyway).

There's also Hellsing (TV) and Hellsing Ultimate (OVA). The superb English dubs are a given, but there's plenty of action in these two unflinching gore fests (although the original TV series does hold back quite a bit in comparison to the OVA). Not to mention the creepy vampiric elements that make up the premise of both series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ace52387

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo is an extremely popular title, and most of the people reading this have probably already heard of it, but for its action sequences, it is noteworthy. Not only do they look slick and fully animated, the choreography in the fights is original and fast paced. While the characters are amusing, they do feel a bit thin, as if you've seen all there is to see within the first 3 episodes. The central plot also seems like it had to be dragged through 26 episodes, but all the drama you need is in the action.

Another well known title that deserves mentioning is Read or Die, the OVA. It has a secret agent vibe, but it's far from a typical secret agent story. The main character fights by manipulating paper, and her enemies are famous authors or characters in famous works of literature. The animation is impressive, and once again, the choreography in the action is rather creative. Read or Die is but 3 episodes, and it's stuffed full of action scenes. It sounds weird conceptually, but if action is what counts, then Read or Die fulfills the criteria and then some.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Amongst action titles recently released in North America, Black Lagoon is the one whose name most frequently gets mentioned. Great production values combine with frequent and intense displays of fighting and gunplay to create one of the elite examples of the genre.

For those into ninja action, Basilisk is a must-see. Though it attempts to distract the viewer with its love story, really the series is all about its graphic super-powered ninja battles and lush Gonzo-produced visuals. Those who appreciate this one should also check out the much older Ninja Scroll, an intensely graphic ninja splatterfest which set the standard for ultraviolence in anime.

For tamer fare, check out Noir and Madlax, two classic examples of the "girls with guns" subgenre. Both are as much mystery stories as action tales but feature plenty enough inventive killing and gunplay to warrant their inclusion and recommendation here. For a more humorous example of this subgenre check out the mid'90s OVA series Gunsmith Cats, which packs plenty of real-world gunplay and grenade use as well as featuring car chases.

<more>

Since Key has mentioned a few very good choices I thought I might expand on them. As mentioned Basalisk and Ninja Scroll are great ninja action shows. Ninja Scroll also has a tv series as well. While not as bloody and violent (it still is but the movie had that in your face aspect to it that the tv show doesn't) as the movie it is still a great series for fans of the movie who want more Jubei. Now as for Samurai action I would say that Samurai X would be one of the best choices just as Ninja Scroll is for the Ninja sub-genre. Samurai X was bloody, dark, and very brutal. Despite the brutalness there was a subtle calm in some parts of the movie. There was a plot and not mind less killing which is part of what made it so well done. The subsequent tv series is also very well done but gone are the darker tones and blood and gore. A much more kid friendly version shall we say. So if there's any pre-teens in the house the tv series would be better suited for them.

As for girls with guns one cannot mentioned this genre without giving props to two of the oldest and best examples. Yuri and Kei from Dirty Pair. It's girls with guns and set in the future for science fiction fans. While not exactly visually groundbreaking it does provide a great example of classic girls with guns action. Think Gunsmith Cats, but in the future. As for a more current example I would suggest Burst Angel. I think Burst Angel at times tried to get too serious instead of just letting the bullets fly so to speak, a trait tat Black Lagoon thankfully does not also suffer from. Despite that it is a good fun action series with plenty of well endowed ladies and some big guns. Plus there's also mecha action as well to turn up the guns and action factor.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Though I probably wouldnt recomend it too strongly in a general case, if its "Emphasis on fast-paced action sequences, often at the expense of characterization or story-telling." Afro Samurai falls perfectly into the category. Great looking art and animation. Cool, fast paced and bloody action. Very little in the way of story. Characters are fairly cool, but otherwise not particularily appealing.
undeadben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
I started watching Black Cat this week and it is surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because all I have heard since I started buying the series is that it uses a lot of clichés, it is boring, and that the storytelling is either rushed or confusing. I'm glad that I found the show doesn't nearly own up to those descriptions. Yes the story is not incredibly original and it uses some clichés but what anime doesn't nowadays. The storytelling is actually pretty good and, along with some interesting and entertaining characters, sets up some action scenes that are pretty neat to watch.

And of course the reason I bring the title up here is because of that action. Anything from sword versus gun fights to spears to any other creative use of weapons provide some interesting fights to watch. Add to that; buildings collapsing, explosions, some neat footraces, and exciting chases all aide in keeping a pretty fast pace of action that helps drive the show. Sure it might not be the most original of shows and the final climax leaves a bit to be desired but it's a fun ride getting there so I think it is well worth checking out if you are an action anime fan.

I keep thinking of a lot of titles with great action but the series themselves seem to fall into other genres primarily so I'll wait to write up on those until those genres come up. Black Cat though seems like a title that was made with that description of "Action" in mind; it fits it nearly to a T.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
One other title I want to throw out there is Ikki Tousen. There is nothing extraordinary about this show, except maybe its fanservice and T&A shots lol. This show is a guilty pleasure but it excels at what it's supposed to be. And that is pure and simply fun and action. The show never gets very serious and is a step close to being a damn hentai (almost wonder if it would've been better to simply go the whole way). There's T&A and sexual innuendos everywhere. There's also lots of good ole fighting and action. The show never takes itself seriously and for a simple fighting show with hot chicks and strong guys it has pretty good animation with vibrant colors and good character designs. There's actually a second season in the works now which will cover the more serious half on the manga. So for those who do watch it but find it too simple no worries, the second season will be covering much more serious material, but with no shortage of T&A of course. Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade - I believe this series is set during the roaring twenties, and it's about a nun named Rosette Christopher and her ally, a "reformed" demon, Chrono. Together they fight evil demons and try to save the world. A lot of gun play is involved the series, but the characters also make use of supernatural abilities (Azmaria can heal through her voice, Chrono has his demon-like powers, Satella is sort of a Jewel witch) and I believe one of the characters, Reverend Remington, uses a sword that sort of resembles a light saber. Along the way Rosette also tries to find her long lost younger brother, Joshua.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna go ahead and mention some well-known ones.

Full Metal Alchemist- the story of two brothers living in a different world, who also happen to be extremely talented alchemists, perform the one most unthinkable, forbidden act of alchemy and live to tell the tale. As a price for their actions Alfonse (the younger brother) has his soul attached to a suit of armor, and Edward (the elder brother) loses an arm and a leg. Together, they set out on their search for the philosopher's stone to restore their bodies and nothing- nothing- will keep them from their goal. This show has a big heart, complicated plotline, and continually evolving characters. As Ed learns and ponders the questions of morality that come from using alchemy or just plain living, so, too, will the viewer.

Cowboy Bebop: In this futuristic world, Spike and Jet are bounty hunters, cruising the galaxy catching criminals for their next meal. What they don't expect is that others will join the crew, causing them to face the reality that having others around them is much nicer than being alone. Unfortunately, each crew member has a past that will slowly come back to haunt them and wreak havoc on their world. Filled with plenty of action, intriguing backstory, and fantastic music, this show is a must-see.

Trigun- Vash the Stampede is the terrifying outlaw with 60 billion double dollars on his head. The funny thing is, when Meryl and Milly, insurance agents sent to audit the damage Vash is wreaking over the countryside, they find that he is actually the most gentle person they could've ever met (provided the weirdest). With an uncanny, inhuman skill with guns, Vash is continually hunted by others, including his past. The first few episodes reveal nothing of the later turmoil and heart-breaking back-story of the show. Interjected are some true moments of hilarity as Vash tries to act the part of the scary criminal he is charged as being.

Finally, my favorite show of all time Smile

Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin Himura was once an assassin for the Japanese government during the Meiji Restoration, but stopped shedding blood. For ten years he has used his sword only to protect others, wandering the country. When he arrives at Kaoru Kamiya's doujo he stays on, meeting other characters who eventually discover the truth about his identity as hitokiri battousai, the manslayer. Together, Kenshin and his friends will have to protect him from the past that presses in on him and threatens to turn his sunny disposition back to the devil-like glint in his eyes that identify him as a manslayer.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
When I think action I think:

Gungrave-After witnessing his friends deaths Brandon Heat follows his best friend Harry McDowell who's fed up with being powerless and joins Millenion , a mafia organization, in order to also be close to the girl he loves, Maria who was adopted by the boss. They work their ways up the ranks each through their own means. In the process Brandon meets the Boss Big Daddy and learns the origins of Million and the purpose of it's founding as well as it's goals and ideals. That's where all his troubles begin, as he's forced to choose between his best friend's ambitions and the organization he's come to respect. Add to that some undead zombies to complicate things and you have one cool action show. Only thing better has already been mentioned, Black Lagoon.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
This thread again brings up the recent argument that was presented in the previous "action anime" thread. What exactly defines an action anime or action show? I think there are many plausible definitions, but right now I will go by the one Tony posted in the opening post. I have to say that it's a pretty good definition, slightly different from all the ones I saw before, and it's fairly similar to my own definition too.

Of the shows previously mentioned in this thread that I have seen, I would say that many are not action anime by that criterion.

Madlax definitely does not qualify. The emphasis of the show IS on storytelling and characterization, not on action. In half the episodes there is no action at all, it's just Margaret and her friends sitting around. It's almost the opposite of Tony's definition. Noir does not come close either, but it is slightly more actionful than Madlax is. Basilisk I would say is not action either, it is too boring most of the time and seemed to me to be mostly about samurai-lord boring politics rather than samurai action.

Ninja Scroll definitely qualifies though, that's samurai action. ROD the movie qualifies. Gunsmith Cats probably qualifies but I haven't seen it in over 10 years so I can't remember well. FMP:TSR I have seen but I'd say it's maybe borderline. Maybe the first several episodes could qualify but in some of the later episodes the action got pretty stagnant and non-existent.

I agree that Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop qualify. They put a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and characterization but still feel action-packed and action-emphasized, to me. Trigun is borderline. There is action but not all the time, the atmosphere does not seem as reliant on the action as with CBebop and SChamploo.

I'd have to argue against Rurouni Kenshin or any other shounen anime as being action anime, by the current definition. In general these types of anime spend too much time discussing their battle plans, or explaining how their special techniques work, and telling their enemies they can't be beaten, rather than actually engaging in the fight, most of the time. FMAlchemist can get pretty actionful at times, but at times it is pretty actionless too, that's another borderline anime in my opinion.

EDIT: I just checked out the link that Tony referenced. I have to say that these definitions have been extremely well thought-out, my compliments to Dan42. In those extended definitions of all genres it is clearly stated what is NOT an action anime. For example, Rurouni Kenshin is categorized by Dan42 as a "Tournament" anime. And FMAlchemist would be categorized as an "Adventure" anime and/or "Fantasy" anime. Not action. I agree with the way he thinks.

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
The emphasis of the show IS on storytelling and characterization, not on action.

Well, shows do have more than one genre to them. Although here are Madlax's according to the Encyclopedia: Drama, Military, Mystery, Psychological, Shounen, Supernatural.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
True. Dan42 states though that in some cases things cannot be mixed. He says Action and Adventure cannot be mixed, etc. Well, I don't want to get into super nitpicky details. I kind of agree with him roughly overall, and I'll just go by what his definitions seem to be saying. I can see why some people would call Madlax an action anime, and why some people wouldn't...it totally depends on your definitions.

If I go by Dan42's logic then Trigun is more like Adventure than Action, so it can't be mixed, lol.

Anyways, this is the first time I've seen your new avatar picture Aromatic Grass so I just thought I'd mention that I like it. When I first saw you, you were a Yuki Nagato picture, so it's nice that you are a Noizi Ito person again (I don't know who that is though, only recognize the art style). I've always liked your name too, it goes well with your picture...I don't know why.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
True. Dan42 states though that in some cases things cannot be mixed. He says Action and Adventure cannot be mixed, etc.

I think they can be mixed, but the difference is when you can pick out which parts of the show make them separate, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I'd say if it had some action in it, go for it. I think I might post Deltora Quest in two places (Adventure and Fantasy), unless someone beats me to it -- I want to watch more of the series before I give an accurate summary.

Porcupine wrote:
I've always liked your name too, it goes well with your picture...I don't know why.

Really? I'd give anything to change it because it's so cheesey. As for avatars and artists, I mostly go with Murata, but Ito's a recent favorite. I have a Please Twins ava I plan on using sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8