• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizvfe00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
@Tatsuero23
I'll change my intro after this post.

If I went into detail with each anime it would be an encyclopedia instead of a thread haha.

As far as my anime spectrum, I have seen tons of anime but they are mostly of the same kinds of genre. I never really got into slice of life, romance, or strictly comedic anime. I don't mind that stuff in an anime as long it's not the focus of it. I really like the action, scifi, martial arts type of stuff.

Haha well you see Gantz is right in my "liked" section which basically means I watched the rest of it because I started it or had nothing else to watch. I should probably change that to "did a once through". One thing I actually liked about it was the brutality\gore and sense of the confusion in the beginning. The ending was horrendous and right at the middle of the series is where everything went down hill. I thought the series had potential because of the concept but it was just ruined. Also, that was probably my 8th anime I watched so, I liked it but I didn't. I wouldn't watch it again lol.

Seikon no Qwaser was watchable but not really something great. The only good about it was the uniqueness it was like fullmetal alchemist meets ecchi. Sucking 'soma' for power? lol unheard of. Nonetheless though the fight scenes were pretty well choreographed, good visuals because it was a recent anime, characters were so-so, and their powers were all unique from one another which I liked. I probably would not watch that again either.

GT and Orig DB got promoted to favorites because of Z hehe. I didn't want to seperate them because they are same story pretty much. Prequel (DB) Sequel (DBZ) Final (DBGT). Not that they have to be watched that way but I would definitely agree DBGT was the worst without a doubt. However, we did get an SSJ4 out of that and some more fights between vegeta and goku. I only watched GT once through just to see what happens since I loved DBZ so much. I actually wasn't the hugest fan of the orig dragonball either, I watched Z first then the others because I wanted more of Z.

I will definitely look into your suggestions for one piece and gurren lagaan. One piece I think I watched 3 eps so, I'll give that a shot again and try for 20 eps lol. Gurren laagan I actually watched 7 I believe, it was kind of interesting but a little like over top with throw the little robot who's a drill <insert> lol. It was like a comedic voltron. I'll give another go though.

Thanks for the recs and responding! You're a cool dude.

Last edited by rizvfe00 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
Your favorites list is interesting tbh you have a ton of things a snobby viewer like me would scoff at while I enjoy my undeserved sense of superiority, but at the same time you have such a good variety of mindless action w/ bad writing and some superbly written shows with good action so I actually find my self jealous of your ability to look past the things that bugged me about shows like naruto and phantom requiem for a phantom (how could I not being this up?) and just enjoy them for what they do well.

I'll agree with that.

rizvfe00 wrote:
Full Metal Panic + 2 other seasons
I was really surprised that I liked this anime so much. It is a fairly light hearted anime. I even liked the side story FFMOFU. The anime actually made me laugh and I liked the characters. This anime actually got me into a mecha little bit which caused me to watch eureka 7, xamd, vandread, a few others. The action scenes in the anime are actually very good and it's overall a really awesome anime. Highly recommended.

I was surprised I liked this too and now it's one of my all time favorites. It actually opened up a whole world of parody and RomCom. Although, I started with Gundam Wing and Pilot Candidate and then watched FMP. I think you'll find this one enjoyable time and time again - especially Fumoffu. Every time I watch it, I seem to find new gems that I had accidentally missed before because I was laughing too hard.

And, like Poilk92 said, you really do like things for what they are without expecting too much out of them. I'll agree with you that Peacemaker Kurogane was a good series, albeit a little dull from time to time. But I couldn't even appreciate the series because of the dullness and open ending. More power to you for accepting it "as is".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind keeping this thread open at all.

But just to clear things up:

1) Here is our reference thread for recommendations. While it's true we normally frown on rec threads, I did say that if by some miracle a user actually managed to make a coherent inquiry, then it would be allowed. Given the pleasantly surprising structure of rizvfe00's opening, I see no problem in leaving the topic be.

2) After looking at this thread and thinking about what little updates there have been since making the sticky for recommendations, I think we should do a little updating ourselves. I don't care if we recommendation repeat titles at this point, as I can always go through each thread and just prune off the "not-so-articulate" summaries/recs.

rizvfe00, may I have permission to copy and paste your titles into the proper genres? Anyone else who wants to make a recommendation for either riz or just one in general are also welcome to do so (though I'd appreciate if you posted in the actual thread to save me some work Anime catgrin).
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
@Bento-Box

Man I wish I still liked FMP. I loved all of it the first time I saw it but I was on a long long bus ride a few moths ago and I decided to bring FMP! and TSR along for the ride. Hated ever minute of it and I don't know why I guess in my case the charm and spectacle wares off rather quickly in a series where very little character development is occurring.
rizvfe00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K.
Thanks for throwing me a bone. I don't mind at all if you want to use my anime list. In fact that's what I made it for, to help out others as well as myself.

Hehe, I think one of the main reasons I can watch shows that lack certain things is because I have seen so much anime. It's hard to find shows that have it all so, I use anime for why I started watching it, entertainment.

You can do things in anime that can't be done in movies or tv shows the visuals, fight scenes, powers, character expressions, etc. I just keep my requirements simple action, concept, storyline, and characters. Pretty much in that order and if they lack in one of the categories as long as they make up for it in another it's usually good enough for me. I just need something that will hold my interest.

As for shows like Naruto and Bleach for which I think you two are referring to the most. I started watching them when I was around 14 I think? I watched them religiously pretty much week to week till date except when I first got hooked. I usually like to start watching anime a month or two after they come out so, I can watch a few in a row and figure out if I really like it. So, after this many years of watching don't you want to know the ending?? I do have to say many weeks I'm disappointed and I don't look forward to it as much as I used to because of all the garbage episodes but I still watch them. If it's a filler ep I mostly just skim through it. After watching DBZ 3x I don't think there's an anime out there that can out drag or out filler it Very Happy although Naruto and Bleach are coming close.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I would also second the recommendation for One Piece. If you like Naruto and Bleach, then I think it's a no-brainer to give it more of a shot.

I would recommend:

Dead Leaves- this 50 minute OVA has 5 minutes dedicated to credits...and about 42 minutes dedicated to action. It has some vrey crude humor and I admit to needing repeated viewings to fully appreciate it. It's from the same guy who did Gurren Lagann and something he definitely excels at is pacing and composing his action scenes. I'm rather surprised you weren't blown away from the action scenes. The staff on that show is incredible. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is his latest work. There's also FLCL. He didn't direct it, but he did do plenty of work on it and it's in the same hectic Kanada style that he operates in.

Digimon movies directed by Mamoru Hosoda- Okay the first one isn't all action, but it's very solid. Our War Game (Bokura no War Game) is the prototype to Summer Wars. Watch these in the uncut version.

Birdy the Mighty Decode/Noein/Heat Guy J- Same guy who directed Escaflowne (which you also liked). Haven't seen Heat Guy J, but the first two have plenty of action from what I've seen and they are sakuga-approved. Razz

Read or Die
(OVA)- I only recommend the 3 part OVA series since I haven't seen the TV show (which I've heard is rather different). Solid production values and tons of action in this one. ]

Akira- I didn't see this on your list. One of the most ambitious productions you'll ever see and it was actually successful in the end (unlike Otomo's Steamboy). Highly recommend.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex- If you enjoyed Moribito, then this is from the same director/chief writer. Much more action in it compared to Moribito, but it still moves at a deliberate pace and there's also tons of dialogue.

You're not going to see anything like Kemonozume in anime, so it might be pretty off-putting. But if you want something new and inventive then I would definitely go with this.

EDIT: So yeah, in short, look out for the other works the directors of the stuff you like have done. That helps out a lot. If there's a particular episode that stands out in an otherwise mediocre series (or even a very good one), then it's probably the work of the episode director/ animation director/script writer. Looking at the staff credits and paying attention to what they do is a good way of keeping track and finding out other stuff that you're most likely to enjoy.

I see you have watched Noein, but just had a minor typo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizvfe00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you tons Braves.

Your recommendations are extremely helpful and all look promising . I will give them all at least a once through and post back with my thoughts as I complete them. You have given me at least a few weeks worth of anime viewing pleasure.

I'll give gurren lagaan another go as well one piece since you both hold them in high regard.

I've actually seen Akira recommended multiple times and I've watched trailers,etc. I guess the fact that it's so old and I am watching it for the first time now is what turned me off of it. If so many people recommend it though it must still be worth a watch.

I have actually seen Summer Wars and GIS: stand alone complex but I forgot to put them in my list.
cashballer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Read or Die (OVA)- I only recommend the 3 part OVA series since I haven't seen the TV show (which I've heard is rather different). Solid production values and tons of action in this one.

ROD the TV has a reasonable amount of action, but it is watered down much more than in the OVA. If you are an action junkie, I recommend you first watch the OVA, and then only get into the TV series if you really liked it. Speaking purely in terms of action, I felt that the series was longer than it should have been, but it had enough excellent moments to make it worth my time.

Most of my favorites are already present on your list, but I would have to recommend Hellsing Ultimate to any action fan. If that series does anything right, it's the action. It's incredibly intense and graphic, pretty much all the way through.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
rizvfe00, If you liked Noein, then Birdy the Mighty: Decode might be very enjoyable as well. Has a better developed story than Noein and the character development and interaction is better as well. It's like Men in Black meets Wonder Woman, and the action is just this side of insane, especially in the second season where it gets more serious (goes from a TV14 series to an MA series). But it also has heart where you feel for the characters and struggles they go through. One of the best series I've seen lately.

I really enjoyed the R.O.D OVA's, but R.O.D. TV was not as enjoyable. The TV series basically did a head stand on the OVA's and with a nearly 180 degree change in direction put the organization the paper sisters worked for as the "bad guys".... did not like this "Mission Impossible" style switch-up (parallel to MI original series verses new movies.)

In a similar vein to Gurren Lagann, well similar in that it's a Gainax title as well, there is the Gunbuster OVA. Even for being over 20 years old, it's a title to behold. Great story with impressive visuals (especially in HD format - Movie versions only unfortunately), the remastered/rerecorded release is very impressive. You have the same actors/actresses doing the recording session, but 18 years after the original release with more experience to put into the role. The result is some of the best acting I've heard in anime, and with the DVD audio output on a PCM track it's quality is virtually indistinguishable from a Blu-Ray track. Sci-Fi/action/drama to go around - it has it all and does a great job telling an interesting story.

If you want to go all out on the action end of things there is Spriggan...which is an anime movie equivalent of Die Hard meets Jason Bourne. No deep story, but if you want action - this title is almost all action. Sci-Fantasy/gunplay based story that doesn't really slow down at all in the action department.

You mention the Blood + series, but what about Blood: The Last Vampire movie? It's fairly short for a movie (~45 minutes), but what it does in those 45 minutes is a really good job at telling a story and showing great action. The animation is of very good quality as well.

One other title I would mention is Karas. Nice blend of action and story there. It's a fairly violent pair of movies in the US release (Black Lagoon is really tame in comparison...) but is interesting at the same time. You have a supernatural character that not only sword fights, but also can change into a "vehicle" and have air-air combat as well with likewise capable enemies...the intro has a pretty spectacular DTS audio track that really brings out the action. Feels a lot like The Crow.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Actions definetly hodl their place, during Primary school I really enjoyed Dragonball Z. I liked what you said about them being able to do things normally impossible which sparks my interest for some rason. Currently my favourite action anime is Fairy Tail, my love for Naruto/shippuden and Bleach has wained a bit, they spend way too much time just standing around having inner monologues and prepearing or recovering from enemy attacks that apparently hapends in seconds.

You mentioned Hakouki rizvfe00, I think that there was something about it being targeted mostly at females, kind of like if Ouran High turned into a samurai action.

A little bit of action can go a long way too, even though Railgun was suposed to be mostly cute, I really enjoyed the action in it. Super powers are fun to watch.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
@ Poilk92 - Anime cry you sadden me. I actually thought TSR developed the characters quite well, even though Sousuke was a bit sluggish. For me, it pulled together in the end. Personally, I think the "weakest" arc of FMP is the time Sousuke spends in the desert. Maybe you should revisit TSR. I find that most of the movies I tried to watch on bus trips were usually a big disappointment initially just because I hated being surrounded by a bunch of people yelling and flirting with each other. I'm still hanging on for another season.

Also - I'd definitely recommend Read or Die TV. While the action can be a little sparse at time, I think the overall pacing of the series is pretty good. Sure, it's slower than most of the action stuff you enjoy, but it's still more coherent, insightful, and engaging than Peacemaker Kurogane. ROD TV actually surprised me. I was delighted by the animation and action sequences. I find the fight scenes to be very creative. It's always interesting to see how each girl resolves problems using only paper and intuition. Also - it has an amazing fight theme song. Whenever it gets playing, I just wanna watch those girls kick some serious butt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Also - I'd definitely recommend Read or Die TV. While the action can be a little sparse at time, I think the overall pacing of the series is pretty good. Sure, it's slower than most of the action stuff you enjoy, but it's still more coherent, insightful, and engaging than Peacemaker Kurogane. ROD TV actually surprised me. I was delighted by the animation and action sequences. I find the fight scenes to be very creative. It's always interesting to see how each girl resolves problems using only paper and intuition. Also - it has an amazing fight theme song. Whenever it gets playing, I just wanna watch those girls kick some serious butt.
Eh, I personally preferred Peacemaker over RoD. Besides the characters(mainly the lead) and the action sequences in RoD, it could be pretty dull. Sure, Peacemaker wasn't always exciting, but it was overall more enjoyable than RoD. But hell, opinions. :/

And that's a pretty damn good list you have, TC. Most of the great action series that I can think of to suggest to somebody, you already have(or had, before they were deleted) listed. But I can at least offer this: Kara no Kyoukai's gonna have a new collection coming out soon in Japan with a new movie+english subtitles, so if you've got $$ to spend on that, then that'll give you something to look forward to. xD.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
After looking at this thread, I think I'm going to merge it with the action anime recommendations thread for the time being. Most of the titles listed are really good choices. I'll weed out the other ones that don't fit as much a little later.
braskez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if these animes were already mentioned but I'd have to say High School of the dead, Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! Second Raid, and also Naruto.

I think High School of the Dead is a good action anime because.. Well... How do I put it, I like the way it was shot? I guess the angle of the camera made everything just that more intense, plus its a great story with great characters. The only put down i would have for the show is the lack of back stories for the main characters. You never really knew how they got to be the people that they are.

Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! Second Raid are good action animes also. Hmmm, its hard for me to pinpoint what exactly I liked about the show. I liked the main character's bad ass back story, as well as the comedy of him trying to live a normal life. I loved the fighting, it was great. It had it all, the mid-battle crisis, the bad ass entry, i really loved the fighting in that show. Honestly, I can't think of anything i disliked about that show.

Naruto is good. Although, I sort of have mixed feeling about this show. It's just... Sooo looongggg... I didn't really like it at first, not until it became Naruto Shippuden. He finally became a boss. After it became Naruto Shippuden the anime got really good, fast. In the end... its a must see.
alf_lying

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Is this thread still alive? If so, I'd like to exchange recommendations:

Guilty Crown, I'm pretty aware where the hate-base came from. But, surprisingly I was really enjoyed it. It was jam packed with action, rock-solid animation and Sawano Hiroyuki to boot (and character designed by redjuice999). Not to mention very strong romance subplot which surprisingly unique for each heroine in the show and their relation with Ouma Shu.

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta; From key animator of The Girl Who Leap Trough Time, precisely: the guy who animated "bicycle riding down the slope and crashed". The detail of animation is outstanding and the action scene were animated beautifully. But it has unhealthy amount of short panty shots which actually pretty manageable. You don't need to watch the previous Yozakura Quartet except for Hoshi no Umi OVA.

Cencoroll, one episode OVA which came as an indie project and being worked by very small team. It offers unique concept of "pet battle (?)" and serious deal of great action moment. For a very small project, the quality of it's animation is very outstanding, even by major studio standard.

So, Anyone who knows greatly animated action series/movie/OVA, please do let me know. Hard mode: 2011 and above.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8