• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Squid Girl Season 2 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Shinryaku!? Ika Musume is now streaming.

Judging by the first episode, it seem like it is more of the same. And it still works and I couldn't be happier with it.

In spite of all her awesome squid powers poor Squid Girl can't seem to make any headway on her invasion. She is just too cute for her own good. And any time she does actually work up the juice to cause trouble, the terrifying Chizuru brings her back in check.

Well I am rooting for her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
More of the same, indeed. I liked the episode but I would have loved it if they had introduced at least one new running gag or new element. I guess having Sanae meet Squiddies other friends qualifies as a new situation, but it is still the continuation of an already existing gag.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
It seems that the sub group I watched have taken up useing all of the squid puns, and translating her name to Ika Musume, I am finding it a bit strange having her refered as Squid Girl instead of Ika Musume. For the time being I will still refer to her as Ika. Any way I loved the first season, so I am looking forward to watching more of these episodes,

As for episode one, it looks like they used it so that they could name every character again, and reafirm Ika's strength, yet inability to have her invasion take foot (or tenticle). Classic Ika for spoiler[feeling for the evil invading aliens in the movie, refering to it as being sad.] I am also totally for more Kiyomi as she did not have much in the first season, and adds some good interaction with Ika.

I was a bit worried about the love rival title, luckily it was just spoiler[Sanae freaking out about Ika actually having friends]. They also kind of introduced that lifesaver that was some times with Goro.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Good start to another season. Best laugh was spoiler[Ika getting weepy over the invading aliens suffering a pointless death.] I also liked how they worked that into the 3rd act with the kids playing with the ball on the beach. spoiler[And good GOD Chizuru under the table was frightening. I don't blame Ika for begging for forgiveness!]
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Its been awhile since I actually burst out laughing while watching an anime show. Well I got a double treat in this episode. The reaction shot of the guy spoiler[Seeing the shy cute maid with spiked brass knuckles ] and spoiler[Matrix like with-a-lttle-help-from-my-friends Ika backflip ] had me laughing pretty good. Glad to see that they haven't lost their touch with humor. Hopefully we also get the return of the chibi ika's.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Knew the teacher was going to spoiler[bribe the kids to regain their favor.] Laughed anyway because it was still funny.

I had been wondering why the OP had a scene where they were surprised at Ika weighing 30kg, because I'm like: is 60-some pounds? That's about right for someone her size, no? And now it has been explained. Ika has the coolest powers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
So Ika has yet another ability, on top of her tenticles, water breathing, super math brain, defensive flaps, and ability to glow, she can spoiler[change her weight at will], which can even alow her to spoiler[fly]. Though that means that she is at the mercy of anything that can spoiler[pick up half a gram.]

Spiked nuckles also got me too, I didn't expect she would actually take them, and pretty much confused every male patron. I miss the first op over this season's, but was happy to hear it play in the back ground. Also Ika's cosplay with the boys as her guards, I don't know where she got it. Though in retrospect perhaps ot had something to do with Sanae.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It is sort of interesting that this new power of hers is dependent on mechanization, where every other power is innate to her genotype. Where did she get those bracelets?

Still way cute.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
Two episodes in and...

...charming, but now getting irritating.

Not sure who is doing the translations, but this "let's throw the word 'squid' in every opportunity we get" is beyond annoying as it's ruining the show for me. I'm okay with "Son of a squid", but drawing the line at "This sandwich is 'squidlicious'".

Episode two featured the use of the word where it seemed more out of place than it does as natural speaking of Ika, especially since it wasn't done in the first season.

I'm giving it two more episodes before I put it aside for later viewing if it doesn't improve.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Agree that it does get a bit annoying, but I think I found the term squidaddle really funny for some reason. I would like to know if Ika really does say all these squid puns in Japanese or is this just translaters doing their own decision.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
In Japanese, she just ends most of he sentences with "geso," which is a squid-ish sound effect (???). The whole sentence-ender character trait has no real analog in the English language, so this is what the translators went with. (I rather doubt there's a Japanese analog either, but anime logic allows it)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
In Japanese, she just ends most of he sentences with "geso," which is a squid-ish sound effect (???). The whole sentence-ender character trait has no real analog in the English language, so this is what the translators went with. (I rather doubt there's a Japanese analog either, but anime logic allows it)

Thanks for the squidly explanation; I was wondering about that myself. There are more than a few anime characters that have that verbal habit with different particles such as "-meow" or "-oni" so it is hardly a new idea.

Usually when it works best is when the character is bumping over some emotional crux or other when she says it. If they just throw it in here and there it gets tiresome quickly so it is no surprise that some people are starting to get annoyed with it. If they ever do an English dub I would definitely buy it just to see how they work it out.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
They've already done an English dub. Haven't heard it myself, but I think people have said they treat it similarly to the subtitled way.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I love the Squid puns I think it adds character to the show. The dub sounds kinda average, Christine Cabanos who played Azusa in K-on! is Ika Musumes' voice actor and she does an okay job I guess. You can judge for yourselves by listening to these clips on youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
Well if we had a choice between squid puns and "de geso", I would take the geso. I mean I have wached that 12 minute clip which has every de geso from the first season, in fact I just started watching it again while writing this. ..... Great, I am probably going to start saying de geso again randomly at the end of sentences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2