• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eva Film Remake to Add Redesigned EVAs, New Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Invader: You forgot ADV's comments for allowing Manga to get the first two movies.
For the same cost, they were able to get plenty of other shows.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Starchild and King Records were the producers of the TV series; not just its music, but the entire show. Toshimichi Otsuki, of Starchild, was one of its main producers. Toei, on the other hand, distributed the movies. From the trailer, it seems that the Clockworx (the company that produces Satoshi Kon's films, or at least a few of them) is distributing the Rebuild films. BV owns none of Eva, so this entire argument is pointless.

Invader_Spooch wrote:
A decent portion of people who have/would watch Eva (ie anime fans) don't really read much, and most likely don't get the religious/literary references, so that point is moot.

I read constantly. I read philosophy and literature, and have a girlfriend who is a Psychology major. I have several friends who watch anime, and are also English or Philosophy majors, as I am. Your generalizations are misinformed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan:
Quote:
Starchild and King Records were the producers of the TV series; not just its music, but the entire show.

Fine, but that doesn't mean it will be the case for the new movies.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The Eva movie incident was how many years ago?

At least 5+, they're odds are in an entirely different economic situation from back then.

I mean, if they have the kind of money to try and personally partially fund a multi-million dollar film project, then I don't see why they would have a problem licensing these movies (hell, it would further aid in keeping the Eva brand within ADV).

Xenofan: While you may read and be relatively educated, I would posit the notion that you are not the majority. I mean, just go to a con and most of them are either middle school/high school students, or people who mainly read manga, and don't really branch out beyond that.

Typically, only diehard purists and foreign film buffs prefer subtitles, most other people complain of "having to read".

"I mean, if I wanted to read, I'd go buy a book" mentality, which I think is silly, but sadly it's a pretty common attitude.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Invader:
Quote:
I mean, if they have the kind of money to try and personally partially fund a multi-million dollar film project, then I don't see why they would have a problem licensing these movies (hell, it would further aid in keeping the Eva brand within ADV).

You don't know how much of that money they've put up is collateral.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
And neither do you. All of your observations about their financial strength (or lack thereof) are pure speculation, so neither one of us can make assumptions about whether or not they have the money to get the rights to the movies.

Let's just leave it at that, because neither one of us can truly prove our point without some figures released from either company.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Invader:
Quote:
All of your observations about their financial strength (or lack thereof) are pure speculation, so neither one of us can make assumptions about whether or not they have the money to get the rights to the movies.

Perhaps not, but I can definitely assume that it might be a huge risk, even if ADV has the money.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
And your assumptions would be groundless without any financial info to back it up (either on their economic situation, or how much the licensing costs of the movies will be).

Not to mention the fact that you underestimate the sellability of the Eva property in the states. To assume that ADV couldn't bank some serious cash even after high licensing costs is just plain silly, considering how popular the series is and how much money ADV has made over the past decade on it.

Even to assume that Bandai Visual would be able to do more with it/make a bigger profit off of a release is plain silly, considering how BV USA hasn't exactly been a factor in the domestic anime industry for a while.

They aren't even considered "big three" (as so many forum goers put it).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
Invader:
Quote:
And your assumptions would be groundless without any financial info to back it up (either on their economic situation, or how much the licensing costs of the movies will be).

Their economic situation has no bearing on the risk. But how much the licensing costs will end up being does have bearing.

Quote:
To assume that ADV couldn't bank some serious cash even after high licensing costs is just plain silly, considering how popular the series is and how much money ADV has made over the past decade on it.

They didn't seem to think that way in regard to the first two movies.

Quote:

Even to assume that Bandai Visual would be able to do more with it/make a bigger profit off of a release is plain silly, considering how BV USA hasn't exactly been a factor in the domestic anime industry for a while.

Bandai Visual wouldn't have steep licensing costs.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xenofan:
Quote:
Starchild and King Records were the producers of the TV series; not just its music, but the entire show.

Fine, but that doesn't mean it will be the case for the new movies.

I didn't say it was. You didn't read the paragraph, apparently. Bandai Visual does not own Eva. They don't own the TV series, they don't own the original movies, and they don't own these new movies. They will not be the liscencees for them in the states. It's not a matter of question.

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/staff.html

The list says
"Produced by - Clockworx, Khara"

Neither GAINAX nor Bandai Visual are mentioned. Neither has any direct hand in the creation of these movies.

[quote="Invader_Spooch]Xenofan: While you may read and be relatively educated, I would posit the notion that you are not the majority. I mean, just go to a con and most of them are either middle school/high school students, or people who mainly read manga, and don't really branch out beyond that. [/quote]

I did not try to say that I was part of a majority, but I'm just saying that I'm not the only one who enjoys both reading and anime. I'm not trying to say that "everyone should watch subs," either. I think that there are many legitimate reasons for watching anime dubbed, and if that's your preference, I'm fine with it.

I wouldn't restrict the "I don't like to read" mentality to anime fans; it's prevalent in today's culture. Very few people these days seem to want to pick up a book outside of school assignments, and even then, they often like to cheat and use cliff's notes or something. I find it unfortunate that one cultural product, literature, is being largely ignored, but I think that anime has significant value as well, so whether or not they perceive it as "artistic," they are absorbing at least a piece of creative cultural output.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan:
Quote:
The list says
"Produced by - Clockworx, Khara" Neither GAINAX nor Bandai Visual are mentioned.

BV has handled titles from them before, though.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Xenofan: While you may read and be relatively educated, I would posit the notion that you are not the majority. I mean, just go to a con and most of them are either middle school/high school students, or people who mainly read manga, and don't really branch out beyond that.

Typically, only diehard purists and foreign film buffs prefer subtitles, most other people complain of "having to read".

I'd agree on the first point. Anime became big in the US and in Latin America only 10 years ago. What kind of people would be open minded enough to watch a cartoon with strange looking animation with a bad dub and enjoy the show as if it were nothing? Kids.

I was like 11 years old when Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya appeared in mexican TV. People from my generation are either barely entering college or still in highschool. Some of them that entered short careers like accounting are barely graduating.

I personally love to read, but my university career sucks up most of my free time so I end up sleeping after reading 1 page. I read stuff not releated to my career during vacations.

--

Hrm, I mostly watch anime dubbed because over 90% of the anime I watch is on mexican cable tv and with very few exceptions, everything is dubbed to spanish. However I generally don't mind, spanish dubs are usually very good. I do watch anime subbed every now and then and even prefer some subbed versions over the dub.

*cough* Saint Seiya Hades chapter *cough*

I've never really noticed the speed of the text. I guess reading books that are over 1000 pages long in a few hours gives you fast reading speed abilities making the process of reading a sub barely even noticeable.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xenofan:
Quote:
The list says
"Produced by - Clockworx, Khara" Neither GAINAX nor Bandai Visual are mentioned.

BV has handled titles from them before, though.

This movie is Khara's first work ever, and Khara didn't even exist a year ago. How could Bandai Visual handle titles from "them" before?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Them=Klockworx.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Them=Klockworx.

Are you sure that Bandai Visual didn't produce those particular shows or movies? Like I said, if they weren't directly involved, there's no way that they'd distribute it here.

Anyway, if BV had a history of releasing Klockworx's stuff, why don't they release the Kon movies over here instead of Sony?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7