• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Death Note English Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Anywho, if the dub isn't as great, I'm still going to buy the DVD. It will be bilingual after all.

I love you. I wish more people would remember this when they go on dub rants.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

The Japanese do however have a lot more choice out there, so even if a seiyuu is prolific, they don't seem to be in everything quite as much as the English VAs do (also, because the Japanese system is different, the same actors don't always work together).

Actually we do see some actors in the same projects in Japan. Gundam seems to draw on the same pool of actors, and the shojo stuff, particularly yaoi, also often goes for a certain group of VAs. (Basically the Fushigi Yugi cast, or the Angelique cast can be used as refs for bishonen voice actors.) Takehito Koyasu, Tomokazu Seki, & Shinichiro Miki also seem to show up in titles starring one another, almost like the doing-a-favor-for-a-friend thing we see here. Romi Paku & Koyasu often also seem to pop up in the same titles.

If one takes Koyasu (322 listings) out of the mix, the Japanese actually average more jobs. There are a few up there like Wendee Lee, but the drop-off numers for the Japanese VAs is somewhere around 125 jobs vs the English list where the last few actors listed have about 71 jobs listed. Although I've wondered about the multiple name thing-like does Wendee Lee's total include all here aka's like Elyse Floyd(which she admitted to in an interview). I know of 2 aliases Yuri Lowenthal has used. Some of or English VAs have far too many aliases. Some of them do actually have voices that sound similar, though, so some people who think they're hearing the same person may not be. (Mona Marshall & Ian Hawk have very similar boy voices. My teen can tell the dif-I often can't)

And yes, the dvds are almost always bi-lingual. Towards the end my teen would insist on hearing InuYasha in Japanese because she decided she preferred Kappei Yamaguchi to Richard Cox & Toshiyuki Morikawa to Paul Dobson
gary leeman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Anywho, if the dub isn't as great, I'm still going to buy the DVD. It will be bilingual after all.

Absolutely! This is what needs to happen if we want to save our dubs from being sent overseas.
I'm really happy that Ocean got this. I've been really impressed by how much better they get time after time.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Actually we do see some actors in the same projects in Japan.

True, but it's not the same as it is for the English VAs, since they are working for a company, not freelancing like the seiyuus do, and so ADV has their VAs and there are a few actors who will appear in almost every ADV anime to some extent.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Japan seems to have less of the "that's old" attitude that we have. Here it's more of an attitude that so & so's yesterdays news or that our VAs have no talent (when many of them are quite good. I put more blame of directors who have to power to decide which voice they want the actor to use). In Japan the VAs are more like our tv & movie actors. I have a nice little book that was put out with one of the Japanese anime mags of the top VAs in Japan (divided by male & female)-little picture of each one, their websites, etc. Obviously it's something anime fans in Japan consider a nice extra (& I love because it gives me a handy source of all their names in kanji since I only have about a half-dozen memorized). I really doubt most fans here care enough to see anything similar included with Newtype USA.
Maybe it's our nature-my team rules, your team sucks, etc. that makes Americans so quick to dismiss stuff, but it's very sad we don't recognize our VAs more. And even more sad is apparently the little bit anime VAs do get recognized is more than the VAs for most domestic material. Sure, Disney & the like fill their titles up with name movie stars, but I remember an article a couple yrs back where one of the Looney Tunes VAs commented the anime fans recognize the VAs much more often than fans of the domestic shows (he wished there could be more recognition, but he did acknowledge the superior paycheck on the domestic titles since they're usually union. And he also acknowledged anime dubbing is a skill not every VA can pull off-matching animation already completed for a different language).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Anime smile I always give dubs a chance. People say that "the true version is the japanese version," or..."if you're a REAL FAN, you'd watch subs."

While everyone is "supporting" the Japanese by downloading and ripping videos rather than purchasing it, and then freaking out when I say, "I like the Naruto dub!"

Ick....It does more than bother me. Except, Naruto's creator likes the dub. That would make me say, "Take THAT, anti-dub elists!!"

CCSYueh wrote:

Maybe it's our nature-my team rules, your team sucks, etc. that makes Americans so quick to dismiss stuff, but it's very sad we don't recognize our VAs more. And even more sad is apparently the little bit anime VAs do get recognized is more than the VAs for most domestic material. Sure, Disney & the like fill their titles up with name movie stars, but I remember an article a couple yrs back where one of the Looney Tunes VAs commented the anime fans recognize the VAs much more often than fans of the domestic shows (he wished there could be more recognition, but he did acknowledge the superior paycheck on the domestic titles since they're usually union. And he also acknowledged anime dubbing is a skill not every VA can pull off-matching animation already completed for a different language).

Funny, I've been listening to dubs with all cartoons, not just anime, but domestic US created animations. A lot of anime VAs do roles in American cartoons as well...and I've been researching since I was 14.

^^ I do agree with the whole voice actors being so under appreciated. When Naruto was officially licensed to be dubbed by Viz, people were already having the mindset that it was going to suck greatly, and everyone says "they'll stick with subs," meaning that most will not buy the DVD, and watch "downloaded ones."

._. I'm totally against that, sorry to say. I downloaded Genshiken, but didn't know it was licensed, and bought it as soon as I found out. I will say I prefer the Japanese rather than the English...

I'm just saying that NOT all English dubs suck. I'm pretty open minded about it. I hate generalizing....oh well.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
While everyone is "supporting" the Japanese by downloading and ripping videos rather than purchasing it, and then freaking out when I say, "I like the Naruto dub!"

Sad but true Sad
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Ick....It does more than bother me. Except, Naruto's creator likes the dub. That would make me say, "Take THAT, anti-dub elists!!"

Thank you. You're a very kind person. I think you're my new best friend. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Anime smile I always give dubs a chance. People say that "the true version is the japanese version," or..."if you're a REAL FAN, you'd watch subs."

I just pushed thru Naruto boxes 3 & 4 over the weekend. The VAs for Rock Lee on both sides of the Pacific are incredibly similar. Liam O'Brien is maybe a tad more psycho than Ishida's playing Gaara, but I love Liam O'Brien.

It's really all taste. I'm an old headbanger who got into bands for the singers so frankly I'm positive I'm attracted to the pitch of the voice of the VAs I like which is really no more shallow than liking this or that actor for their looks more than their talent. On this side of the Pacific we seem to prefer a higher boy-next-door tone for our heroes while in Japan they often cast someone deeper in pitch so the issue is match the Japanese pitch across the board or cast according to the tastes of the audience. When I was 4 I loved the Addams Family, but I plugged my ears every time Lurch spoke because it scared me (My parents thought it was cute I had to watch). Scaring the potential audience isn't good. We often cast deeper voices as heavies in the US so kids here may default to deeper voices=bad guys.
When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual for 3 or 4 VAs to be the cast for an entire animated show. I remember Hal Linden talking about picking up cash between "real" acting jobs dubbing foreign movies--if the company was cheap they only hired 2 actors to dub all the roles so actually hiring 3 or 4 actors was a quality dub. In the past-before 1980's or 1990's an actor falling to doing voice-overs meant his/her career had to be over because a real actor acted in fromt of the camera or on stage which is part of where we would see them use aliases so no one would know. Or they'd do commercials in a foreign market so none of their regular fans would ever know about it.
THere was somewhere...Newtype? Animerica? THey interviewed the VA for Haku/Spirited Away & he was very hard on the rank & file anime VAs because they're mostly non-union so he inferred they were less quality as I recall. I felt it was a very unfortunate attitude which is why I was surprised at the respect offered by the Looney Tunes VA in the other article.
So yes, you do hear some of the same VAs in anime & American cartoons, but the issue of union/non-union keeps some VAs from doing anime since there's still a certain amount of non-union jobs being done. Daren Norris (Dark Schneider/Bastard) does a lot of Nik stuff-Fairly OddParents, Veronica Mars, some live-action title my teen watched sometimes, but he also doesn't do much anime it seems these days.
sun3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I usually agree with the English cast selections on most major dubs (then again, I'm not a casting director!).
I figure that the studio and the licensing company spend a lot of time figuring out who is best suited as who in each show, so I appreciate the dedication. After all, they don't have to be licensed here anyways. I much prefer watching the action with English, rather than reading and missing some of the nuances that the animators may have included. This is getting off topic.

I am really excited about Death Note, and the English cast looks totally solid! I wish I could have been at that convention panel in Vancouver when they showed the Brad Swaile version of the trailer.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I just pushed thru Naruto boxes 3 & 4 over the weekend. The VAs for Rock Lee on both sides of the Pacific are incredibly similar. Liam O'Brien is maybe a tad more psycho than Ishida's playing Gaara, but I love Liam O'Brien.

xD YAAAY! *fangirl squeals.*

Anime smile I'm a Liam O Brian fan too. His portrayal of Gaara impressed me. And Rock Lee, his VA has done Davis in Digimon. It took me a while to figure out it was him, But I love the charm he brings out in him.

CCSYueh wrote:

It's really all taste. I'm an old headbanger who got into bands for the singers so frankly I'm positive I'm attracted to the pitch of the voice of the VAs I like which is really no more shallow than liking this or that actor for their looks more than their talent.

True.

xD Couldn't quote the rest of your stuff, but I understand what you're saying. *passes a cookie.* Didn't know what else to do.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
gary leeman wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Absolutely! This is what needs to happen if we want to save our dubs from being sent overseas.
I'm really happy that Ocean got this. I've been really impressed by how much better they get time after time.

Ocean is overseas. In the sense that it is dubbed in Canada not the US. Maybe I'm not sure what you meant by that though...

As for the person who said we tend to see the same voice actors in projects in Japan, as far as I know different voice actors work with different talent agencies and it seems like some studios use particular agencies more than others. As for Takehito Koyasu he actually has his own agency, or represents himself now if I remember correctly, so maybe that means he's frelance and that's why he's able to book more jobs.

As for the dub cast, I'm so excited that I'm definitely going to check out the first DVD. I was on the fence about what I read of the manga, but I'm a Gaeta fangirl so i have to at least give L. a chance. Anime smile
gary leeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
gary leeman wrote:

Ocean is overseas. In the sense that it is dubbed in Canada not the US. Maybe I'm not sure what you meant by that though...

My meaning is that I am glad Death Note was not sent to be dubbed overseas at a place like Odex in Singapore. I am happy that they decided to stay in North America to do the dub, where the English-speaking talent is of high caliber.

I don't see Canada as being overseas, as you do not have to cross over any sea to get there from the US. I equate them as having the same quality as US companies. Just clarifying.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I generally prefer dubs. Actually until Claymore I'd never watched a subbed anime from the start. This isn't anything I had against japanese (I've always found it to be a very cool/beautiful language really), just that I prefer english and I generally think the VA's do a pretty good job. Personally I like recognizing VA's from shows I previously liked, as long as the voice fits the character. Occasionally it doesn't of course.

So far of what I have purchased (only recently started buying, was previously just a cartoon network/etc. viewer) I only absolutely hated one dub, and that was for Shonen Onmyouji. It's terrible.

I hated it, but I loved...
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (I don't know if the ep 00 would have been nearly as funny in japanese the first time, the english VA's did a good job of the "bad acting" )
Solty Rei
Scrapped Princess
Bleach
Naruto

And most others like Haibane Renmei, etc. were at the very least good/passable for me.

Getting back on topic, I am interested in Death Note. I haven't watched it at all but my brother has recommended it. Since I know it's coming out here I'm planning on waiting for that before seeing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4