• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Submitted for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tempest: They didn't submit Sinbad, because it flopped with audiences and critics.

Huh? I don't remember saying anything about Sinbad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
Tempest: Sorry, I was responding to your citation.
Nin Gin No Zo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Total crap. The truth is that they have problems allowing a foreign movie into an american contset because they know any anime, japanese, would kick the crap out of the american junk Disney pushes out every year.

And the oscar goes too...COWBOY BEBOP*cheering,claping, and cring*
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow...the elitism is beyond dangerous levels... Shocked

So tell me...if it came down to Finding Nemo going up against that Pokemon movie, you're saying you'd pull for the Pokemon movie?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
So tell me...if it came down to Finding Nemo going up against that Pokemon movie, you're saying you'd pull for the Pokemon movie?

Actually... I rather liked the latest Pokemon movie, and didn't find much appeal in Finding Nemo.

HOWEVER, Finding Nemo is still a better contender for the award, because it's a BETTER film; it had mass audience appeal, it used film techniques more effectively, and although the story didn't appeal to me, I can see how it was still more fully developed than the latest Pokemon.

Just because Pokemon wins in the "fun" category in my mind, doesn't make it the best animated film of the year.

Personally, though, I'm hoping it's the Triplets of Bellville.. because maybe then I'll actually have a chance to see it. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cookie: Sony owns Triplets, so expect it on dvd eventually.
MissKale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
That didn't stop Disney from submitting Treasure Planet.

It did stop them from submitting Atlantis though.

But in that year they had a commitee review the animated films that had come out that year, and that's how the nominations were determined. I'm trying to find the release, but I remember that they did watch Atlantis in consideration.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Osiris lost? Nevermind the rest, how the heck did Osiris get kicked off? x_x
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because Osiris isn't a family friendly movie Rolling Eyes I don't know I'm not part of the life-sucking Oscar staff.

I'm still mad that Millenium Actress didn't even get at least a meselly Best Forgen Film Evil or Very Mad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Millenium Actress didn't get nominated for Best Animated Feature because Dreamworks didn't do much, if any, of an Oscar campaign for it (and it wasn't submitted for consideration as Best Foreign Film, as, I think, Japan submitted a different film), while Samuel Goldwyn Films did a modest FYC campaign for Tokyo Godfathers, but it was released far too late in the game, and on too few screens, for it to overcome the critical momentum The Triplets of Belleville received.

Meanwhile, the Academy might have viewed Final Flight of the Osiris more as part of the overall marketing campaign for the Matrix sequels than as an independent work in and of itself. Yes, even if a short with a character from Ice Age as featured on the Ice Age DVD did get nominated. (Hmm... did Gone Nutty even get a theatrical release of any sort?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Meanwhile, the Academy might have viewed Final Flight of the Osiris more as part of the overall marketing campaign for the Matrix sequels than as an independent work in and of itself. )

Yes, added to which they may have viewed it as a promotional tie-in for the video game, which wouldn't exactly be wrong of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, the video game tie-in aspect (which didn't quite occur to me) and what I mentioned before and the fact that, and I forgot to say before, the Ice Age related short is fairly self-contained. Even if you haven't seen Ice Age, the short is about a squirrel and a nut. It's so simple a concept that you don't need to know anything else in order to enjoy it, whilst you have to have all sorts of a priori knowledge about the Matrix universe in order to understand Final Flight of the Osiris.

If it were all up to me (and I'm not an Academy member of any sort), the only Animatrix short that would get nominated would be Beyond, which works much better on its own (though you still need to know the basic "they're unaware that they're in a virtual reality simulation" premise of the Matrix world), but that's besides the point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
One of the mistakes was having two films from the same cast together. That tends to cancel b oth of them out. Perhaps if Sony was aiming for a 2005 Oscar, it might have had a better chance.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, actually, I sort of wish they had delayed Tokyo Godfathers until later this year. I think the whole point of rushing the release here was to take advantage of the Oscars, but to no avail, since it was The Triplets of Belleville that had the momentum this past Fall.
Wolf Tooth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, there's always next year... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4