• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Directors Speak as Protests Continue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
MokonaModoki wrote:
Step 4: Listen to the argument that you suffered no loss because you still have all the copies that you didn't sell.

If someone downloads it when normally they would have bought it, then yes they do lose. I would never claim otherwise. They lose a sale which is still somewhat different than losing an actual product, but because of the nature of how intellectual property is produced that can be just as bad. However, If someone wouldnt buy it if they couldnt download it then no, the company isnt losing anything. Either way the company wouldnt make the sale. (I could say "now is that so hard to understand" here, but I don't feel the need to be all condecending and obnoxious just because I disagree with someone.)

While I may be condescending and obnoxious, I also think you've missed my point completely. What you are still talking about is a moral equivocation that says "downloading is OK if a person is not going to buy the product anyway, because the producer isn't out any inventory" which is completely irrelevent to the producer suffering the loss (and in the eyes of the law). Such moral equivocations are only relevent to the individual who applies them to himself. They don't matter one bit to anyone else in the equation.

My response was to your comment that 'You can't avoid that whole debate by cutting right to "its like stealing no matter what."' My point was that, yes, in fact, you can. That is precisely what would happen in a court of law. It is stealing. It might be petty, small in scale, completely irrelevent to larger economic realities, rarely if ever enforced and often looked upon with a wink and a nod, but when push comes to shove it is, in fact, stealing. Not 'like stealing', but stealing. Exactly as CCSYueh said, it IS black-and-white.

And I personally don't care. I'm not making moral judgments. Otherwise good people steal - it happens..a lot. We all know that the reality of the situation is that illegal downloading of anime is effectively OK to the extent that you can get away with it...to the extent that the people in the business of marketing that intellectual product decide it is OK...to the extent that it isn't enforced. But what is not true is that 'it is OK because it isn't really stealing'. In Singapore they finally decided it wasn't OK, but in international and Singapore law it was already stealing, just like it is most anywhere else but Taiwan.

So now people in Singapore have gotten tagged for downloading, and a bunch of people who don't like Odex are screaming about it like they are being gang-raped by the anime industry (and I do mean industry, this initiative came from the Japanese members of AVPAS too, not just Odex). I can sympathize with their woes about the quality of Odex releases, import pricing, etc., but the bottom line remains that they are getting tagged for stealing intellectual property and that is exactly what they did--not something 'like stealing'.

When that happens to anime downloaders elsewhere (and if you think it won't... well, you're entitled to your opinion), Internet forum debates about 'moralitty', 'promoting the product', and whether or not there is 'loss of actual product if you wouldn't have bought it anyway' won't mean anything when the letters come letting you know that you are facing the choice of settlement or prosecution.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
It's like my husband used to talk about sneaking thru the fence & stealing Shasta soda which a lot of the kids in the area did. What the anime companies are trying to do it seal up all the holes in the fence to stop the uninvited use of their product. Maybe the anime makers can end the practice & maybe not. You can't blame them for trying to eliminate shrinkage.

Where did I ever say companies shouldnt try to take measures to cut down on downloads? I dont really like some of the methods these companies use to do this, but I do support them in trying to do something.

MokonaModoki wrote:
What you are still talking about is a moral equivocation that says "downloading is OK if a person is not going to buy the product anyway, because the producer isn't out any inventory" which is completely irrelevent to the producer suffering the loss (and in the eyes of the law).

Correction, it is a financial equivocation which is directly relevant to the producer suffering a loss. The way I see it there are three ways to look at it: Morally, Legally, and Financially. I dont see any point it getting into morals. Its pretty subjective so any moral debate comes down to "I think its wrong." and "Yeah well I think its okay." I gotta think the aspect a company cares most about is financially. Looking from from a financial point of view, you cant deny that if you wont buy it no matter what, it makes not difference if you download it.

Quote:
My response was to your comment that 'You can't avoid that whole debate by cutting right to "its like stealing no matter what."' My point was that, yes, in fact, you can. That is precisely what would happen in a court of law.

But thats the problem with this issue. The chances of actually getting caught are really, really low so 99% of the time it wont end up in a court of law. If you want to claim that its illegal so thats all there is to it, then from that legal standpoint youre right. However when its a law that is rarely if not never enforces, it really loses validity. I don't think you can judge it from such a perspective without any actual analysis of the issue.

Quote:
And I personally don't care. I'm not making moral judgments. Otherwise good people steal - it happens..a lot.

Well thats good. Regardless of how one feels about downloads, I dont think its fair to be so judgemental of someone who isnt willing to pay $25 a DVD when they could download it for free.

Quote:
So now people in Singapore have gotten tagged for downloading, and a bunch of people who don't like Odex are screaming about it like they are being gang-raped by the anime industry (and I do mean industry, this initiative came from the Japanese members of AVPAS too, not just Odex). I can sympathize with their woes about the quality of Odex releases, import pricing, etc., but the bottom line remains that they are getting tagged for stealing intellectual property and that is exactly what they did--not something 'like stealing'.

Miavi wrote:
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but reading this from a post at SGCafe, I'd have to put in my 2 cents' worth to clarify certain misconceptions.

1) We admit that some, if not majority, have downloaded anime illegally, knowing it fully that it's illegal in the first place.

2) The protest was not only to protest against the "no illegal anime downloading". It was encompassed to include, but not exhaustive:

i) Protest against ODEX's underhanded methods in lying to the public with very contraicting statements and providing misconceptions and painting the anime community black

ii) Protest against their actions thus far of dropping "love letters" in mailboxes demanding private settlement fees which have been revealed recently, that they do not have the rights to continue pressing charges, especially criminal, as stated in their "love letters"

3) We admit that ODEX's sales are dropping. But it's not entirely because of illegal downloads. They are blaming us, the consumers and fanbase, because THEIR sales are dropping. They did NOT factor in imports, of anime series, merchandise and the likes. All they are looking at are their OWN sales figures, which will drop given their lacklustre quality. Another fact to bring up would be that thus far, out of all the anime series they have obtain licenses to distribute for, it is safe to say that only UP TO 10% of them are available in the market. And they take FOREVER to release those series. A good example would be BLEACH. It's a popular anime here, but extremely slow releases have caused fans to resort to either importing the series or just downloading them.

What I have a problem with is their methods, and to a lesser extent that theyre blaming dowloads entirely for their problems.

Also, I dont think I've even actually said that illegal downloads arent stealing. I just dont think its the same as stealing a physical product. If you define it still as stealing, fine.

Quote:
When that happens to anime downloaders elsewhere (and if you think it won't... well, you're entitled to your opinion), Internet forum debates about 'moralitty', 'promoting the product', and whether or not there is 'loss of actual product if you wouldn't have bought it anyway' won't mean anything when the letters come letting you know that you are facing the choice of settlement or prosecution.

Thats fair enough, If someone gets caught, I think they should accept that they ran the risk of this happening. Ofcourse that doesnt mean they cant be irritated that they got caught for something thousands of other people do and get away with. For this reason I wish companies would go after the people making downloads available. It would me more effective and wouldnt screw over a few individuals who happen to get caught. However, I can see where that is more difficult.
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
starcade wrote:

If you really want to go down that road, you'd probably have to close down most anime conventions in the US short of AX and maybe a couple of others who exclusively use licensed material.

I mean, the $64,000 question is whether fansubs do anime good (because it's the only way people can see anime not licensed yet for the US and gauge how popular it might be -- which see Ouran) or bad (because the downloaders won't buy anime at all...).

Ouran rocks.
I've never seen 1 second of the anime(stills. Have a tv book I bought at con)
I've bought the manga from the start though & do want to see the anime. Why do I need to download it? I know the manga is good & the overall reaction from Japan is positive so it's simple to deduce it's good & I want to see it.

You are probably a lot different than most -- this is why fansubs are so popular (both with individual users and anime clubs/conventions)...

CCSYueh wrote:

???
Comic-con gets permission from the anime companies for all their anime. Hell, they get titles that haven't even been released on dvd yet to air. It's part of that asking permission thing mentioned at the beginning of dvds & I assunme all cons have to ask pernission or they'd lose the support of the anime companies.

Comic-Con (and WonderCon up here) is one of the few exceptions... I don't know if they even allow themselves to USE any unlicensed anime -- I mean, whatever "haven't been released to DVD" titles they have (at least from my experience in the last 2 years or so) are licensed titles exclusively.

My point is that that's the exception -- not the rule.

CCSYueh wrote:

starcade wrote:

I reiterate my comment: You'd pretty well have to close down most anime avenues to the general public, even here in the States, with that kind of stand.

There was a convention which, in 2006, had EIGHT ROOMS of unlicensed fansub anime.

I repeat what I said about comic-con international. I spoke with the guy in charge of the anime year before last & all the stuff is cleared with the companies. Many companies are more than willing to offer screening copies.
I would question any US con that would air fansubs

Then so question. I'm just saying (as I said here) that the vast majority of cons I go to have some degree of fansubs -- and, the more "fan oriented" the con is, chances are, the more fansubs.

And I was not kidding when I said that a certain 2006 convention (top 10 in attendance) had eight rooms of fansubs.

CCSYueh wrote:

starcade wrote:

I had this argument on the Internet years and years ago -- my stand is that no crime is committed until you are caught and prosecuted. (Innocent until proven guilty and the like...)

Innocent until proven guilty is one thing
Guilty but waiting to be convicted before admitting (if ever) is wrong.
I happen to believe what goes around comes around & alkl the evil one does comes back on one 3-fold so people who break the law will get theirs somewhere, but with that philosophy obviously keeping one's mouth shut about one's crime doesn't matter. Wrong-doers will get theirs so I don't have to waste time being angry & vengeful when someone wrongs me.

Boy, would I love your sense of karma to be correct, especially with a lot of the people I deal with over the course of time.

That said, however, I can only say that I believe that America (especially) has changed in the last 20 years -- from a country which teaches that "the bad guys get theirs" to one where the general populace wants to BE the "bad guys".

You see, I don't trust that karma exists in a space where you literally have to commit a robbery right in front of a cop to get convicted anymore.

CCSYueh wrote:

It is pretty ridiculous to confront someone with a positive drug test & have them insist it's wrong-we must have switched their urine with someone else's(that's why we make the testers pour it in the vial themselves & seal the bag & put the bag on the fridge thenselves--we don't handle it). I've heard people try to insist their significant others use so that must be why they're positive(doesn't work that way), 2nd hand smoke (test are a lot more sophisticated now so that's creared out with the 2nd screen), some got on their skin (doesn't work that way).

If that were the case, kiss most major US sports goodbye. We're basically little different than the Russians from years past -- but that's another flamewar.

You see, it gets to a simple conclusion: Over here, the ends justify the means. If some homeless guy jacks another homeless guy's $20 worth of recycling, that's another $20 for the rock which that guy is seeking...

CCSYueh wrote:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
The court order say no controlled substance without a valid prescription. No excuse.
But I'm going thru a hard time.
I was at a party & everyone was doing it.
My boyfriend is slipping it into my food to get me in trouble.

Then shut down the party.

Shut down American sports while you're at it -- because most everybody is doing it.

Karma doesn't work when everybody's turning their back.

CCSYueh wrote:

starcade wrote:

So what you are saying then is that the US audience has NO RIGHT to the material until the US companies license and release it...

See my comment above on conventions (which could probably also be extended to many anime clubs

Contact any of the anime licensees. When my teen was going to start an anime club, they sent me a bunch of preview dvds (The club died as many things do with kids). Mediablasters actually sent me 3 which had a first ep of a couple titles per dvd. I thought ADV still has that kind oif thing. Funi also. All it takes is going to the website & signing up (or it did then)

So I'm right, then: One has no right to any anime which is not licensed in their locality.

CCSYueh wrote:

starcade wrote:

A side comment first:
Take it from someone who's had orders like that put on him years ago: You'd be better off having already had him in jail in the first place -- chances are that the target is not the only person being threatened by the perp.

Usually with my clients there's a restraining order, but they believe made up with the person who took it out so I tell my guys they can't be with that person for their own protection. Things may be ok now, but one fight-suddenly the cops are called & guess who's in jail? It's trouble waiting to happen. Avoid it.

I guess what I'm saying, from experience, that it would be better to have the person in jail already for something like that -- but, again, a side comment.

CCSYueh wrote:

starcade wrote:

I guess I'll ask the same question here I did in the other thread: Are anime fans the ally or the enemy?

I hope the downloaders are just a resistant few & overall anime fans get their stuff thru legit sources. It's like those free birthday meals from Denny's--it was a great thing while it lasted, but it's gone.

Because the customer became the enemy and took advantage of the situation.

I believe that the current anime economy is unsustainable (and if it is sustainable, then the 600 pound gorilla of fansubs has to be part of that equation -- which see the material death of the American music industry)...

But, as I've said, the "user driven" Internet is going to have to be eradicated if you ever want to get rid of fansubs. Period.

No YouTube.

No BitTorrent.

None of it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

So I'm right, then: One has no right to any anime which is not licensed in their locality.

You don't have a "right" to anime, period. Please show me in the bill of rights or the constitution where it guarantees you anime.
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
starcade wrote:

You don't have a "right" to anime, period. Please show me in the bill of rights or the constitution where it guarantees you anime.

Tell me where we have a "right" to anything -- and don't bother with the Bill of Rights -- that's so far obsolete, it's not even funny.

(And no, Zac, that's not meant as to say anything WRT ANN... Just to be clear.)

The point I am making is that, if what people are saying is true, we have no right to view any anime not licensed in our jurisdiction under any reasoned circumstances.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
All in all, ODEX has no right to complain about fansubs, seeing as they sell CRAP that isn't even half as good as fansubs. Yes, there is a risk in downloading, but many are willing to take that risk because buying from ODEX is not an opetion. Why? Because I have fansubs I downloaded 4 years ago, encoded in DIV3 and mp3 at 56 kb/s that STILL look better then ODEX crap. So why, in the name of all that is good and holy would someone chose to pay for something inferior?
Yeah-I decided to go to Odex's site and see what they had to offer. What a joke!! A handful of dvds and VCDS? They'd better get their act together before they call the kettle black.
Miavi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:57 am Reply with quote
Alright, time to clear up some stupid misconceptions people have.
MokonaModoki wrote:
And I personally don't care. I'm not making moral judgments. Otherwise good people steal - it happens..a lot. We all know that the reality of the situation is that illegal downloading of anime is effectively OK to the extent that you can get away with it...to the extent that the people in the business of marketing that intellectual product decide it is OK...to the extent that it isn't enforced. But what is not true is that 'it is OK because it isn't really stealing'. In Singapore they finally decided it wasn't OK, but in international and Singapore law it was already stealing, just like it is most anywhere else but Taiwan.
As mentioned, we know and recognise that downloading illegally is akin to stealing. We know the damn fact already. Our gripes with this issue from the start have always been their underhanded methods in forcing "payments of compensations" and "lying to the general public with misleading press statements".

Quote:
Look, the noisemakers are gone, and now we're still discussing over the issue of their actions thus far, and speculating what else they can do to continue painting a veil of rose-tinted lenses over the general public to see us in black, while attempting to participate in media statements, be it contribution to their forums for debate or not, to show the general public, that we are not the noise-making hooligans. And I'm pretty sure you'd be screaming like you got gang-raped by RIAA or the likes if they ever sent a letter down to you demanding cease-and-desist with settlement, and a clause that doesn't indemnify you from original recording companies who can still sue you for infringement apart from RIAA or the likes.

And guess what, AVPAS is entirely run by Singaporeans, with only ONE Japanese in the ordinary committee, and the Japanese companies as associate members. Until we can get a press or official statement released by the Japanese companies stating that they were the ones who initiated the whole issue, it still lies in the fact that ODEX was the one who started it all. If you looked closely too, AVPAS authorised ODEX to carry out said actions, and the Vice President of AVPAS signed the authorisation letter for ODEX's president. The offices of AVPAS and ODEX reside in the exact same location.

On the other hand, the community has repeatedly asked for confirmations of warnings from ODEX on this issue, and if they were really intent on stopping said "piracy", they would have acknowledged the queries, and not blatantly denied the allegations, which were followed shortly by sending out letters demanding payment all of a sudden.

Quote:
Refer to very first point. How would you feel, when all of a sudden, the "settlement" you paid for, has been shown to be a form of "extortion", where the company itself, is in no rights, to produce and send such letters, demanding said items or monies, and is in no rights, to press any charges whatsoever, much less criminal.
Miavi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
To reiterate what I have said, once and for all:

3) We admit that ODEX's sales are dropping. But it's not entirely because of illegal downloads. They are blaming us, the consumers and fanbase, because THEIR sales are dropping. They did NOT factor in imports, of anime series, merchandise and the likes. All they are looking at are their OWN sales figures, which will drop given their lacklustre quality.

So look at this and think over it before accusing the general community of true fans as "thieves". And we would never think of "stealing" ODEX's stuffs. There are just some things even beggars won't do.
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Miavi wrote:
To reiterate what I have said, once and for all:

3) We admit that ODEX's sales are dropping. But it's not entirely because of illegal downloads. They are blaming us, the consumers and fanbase, because THEIR sales are dropping. They did NOT factor in imports, of anime series, merchandise and the likes. All they are looking at are their OWN sales figures, which will drop given their lacklustre quality.

So look at this and think over it before accusing the general community of true fans as "thieves". And we would never think of "stealing" ODEX's stuffs. There are just some things even beggars won't do.

Basically, five words or less, ODEX is finished.

And probably moreover: So is anime in Singapore.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
[quote="starcade"]
Miavi wrote:
Basically, five words or less, ODEX is finished.

And probably moreover: So is anime in Singapore.

Actually, if Odex goes belly up, nobody will be supplying Anime but also nobody will be pressing to stop downloads (of Anime at least). The fanbase they have already established will still exist. Odds are most people will just turn to downloads. Its kinda funny but if this does have enough backlash (wether they actually go out of buisness or not) they might actually end up with more people downloading.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Odex is doing what the government is suppose to do in Singapore. They are taking on the role of a police force to weed out illegal downloads.

From recollection a few years back, the TV station airs anime 3 times a week for 1 hour at 11pm. In the early 80s and late 70s, they aired anime on prime time children's cartoon slot in the evenings before dinner time. Clearly, their target audience has shifted. it is not likely that anime die down completely in Singapore because it has a long history with fans from different age groups. If Odex goes bust, people would just continue to watch the TV.

We were happy to just watch TV without spending on VHS, VCDs and DVDs. I think sales are bad for Odex partially because people are not in the habbit of collecting boxsets like here in North America. I was shocked when i first moved here to learn that people spend this much money on DVDs! Call this a culture shock! My craze with collections started only when I saw the high quality region 1 DVDs. If Odex improves its product quality and promote the DVDs or VCDs by reaching out to fans, sales may improve. Streaming some titles for free on the internet for residents in Singapore is also a good way to promote their products. I think there has to be awareness amongst Singaporeans that free illegal downloads are illegal. It's a no-no.
Miavi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:16 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
I think Odex is doing what the government is suppose to do in Singapore. They are taking on the role of a police force to weed out illegal downloads.
It's not a matter of taking on the role of a police force. It's the matter of being intimidated and forced into paying them "settlement sums" when they do not have the rights to in the first place.

Let's put it in a simpler way:
Person A is ODEX.
Person B is AVPAS.
Person C is the collection of Japanese companies who support the acts

Let's say, C is an environmental enforcement officer. This gives him the rights to issue summons of fines to people who litter.
B is C's brother. C tells B that people who litter are wrong and ought to be caught and punished for their actions.
A is B's son, and B tells A to go enforce the littering rule.
A goes around intimidating people into giving him monies for their littering fines when A does not have the rights in the first place.
The group who are affected realise that A does not have any rights, and A refuses to make it transparent as to where the monies have gone, and say he will "check (audit)" and if there's any excess to the costs incurred in him catching the offenders, he would "donate them to charity", with no indication of exactly when will the "check (audit)" occur. And previously, A also told the public that the amount collected is only enough to fund 20% of the enforcement actions.
Now, how can something have an "excess" if it was claimed earlier that it is only enough to fund at most 20% of the costs?

So, is the picture clear enough now, on one of the many reasons as to why people are actually protesting?

Also, normal Singaporeans who just watch anime for the big boobs would definitely not bother to even spend a single cent on supporting the series. There are fans all around in the community, who actually starve and save up, just to import merchandise. Nobody ever once mentioned this and factored it in.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
starcade-
I hate YouTube. I avoid it like the plague. I told the mother of a boy who's watching Bleach in Japanese it's probably not a legit site-he shouldn't be watching, she told him to stop, & he argued it was legal.

Some idiot posting anime episodes they had nothing to do with creating has nothing to do with YOUTube. They didn't make it. It's not their video. Stop.

Karma isn't instant. I have one client a couple years younger than me who, thanks to a lifetime of meth use, has all sorts of health issues & her doc's given her a couple yrs to live. There's her karma. One of my co-workers has the 21 yr old son of a doctor who has a serious heart condition thanks to his cocaine use already. That's his karma. I asked some 50-60 yr old dude if he was going to test dirty-yes-for what?-everything-what? Turns out he'd just been ordered into a residential treatment facility, so he decided to get all his partying in so in one view, he still hasn't been hit with karma, or he has with the constant involvement of law enforcement in his life. Sometimes it hits one person harder than another, but I'm happy believing somewhere, someday everyone gets theirs.

And professional sports hasn't been real sports for yrs. THey are (overpaifd) entertainers & just as coddled as any drug-addled pop-star. Look at what a fireman or a cop who maybe will save your life is paid compared to a pro football player. THe money is often so obscenely off the scale in comparison it only proves the sports players are entertainers being paid for the money they can earn for the the team's owners.

Miavi,
if people have been watching this stuff without paying & nowe they're getting caught, that's life. About a decade ago when I worked for a different brance of the govenment than I do now, a guy called to ask if driving in the carpool lane was really a $300 ticket. I told him I believe that's the amount I saw on the signs, though I didn't work for the courts & had never gotten a ticket for that. He commented he was just wondering. He'd been driving in the carpool lane for over a year & it saved him lots of times from being late to work, so he figured the ticket was earned & even the amount worth a year of not being late to work, though he was in sticker-shock over the amount since he figured it's be less than $100.
When you dance, the piper just may ask for payment.

We don't just have cops here in SoCal passing out tickets. Depending on where you're at, you can get a ticket from school campus police, the Harbor Patrol, even Retired Citizens policing parking lots passing out tickets for parking in the handicapped zone. A ticket is a ticket no matter who's passing it out so long as the government recognizes their authority to do so.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Miavi wrote:
Alright, time to clear up some stupid misconceptions people have..
I like to keep up with the Odex situation, because it seems like a bellweather for what could happen elsewhere. Even so, a lot of what I said has just been in response to simple misconceptions about what is and is not stealing and not the situation in Singapore. So stupid? Seems a bit harsh. And misconception? I beg to differ.

Miavi wrote:
As mentioned, we know and recognise that downloading illegally is akin to stealing. We know the damn fact already. Our gripes with this issue from the start have always been their underhanded methods in forcing "payments of compensations" and "lying to the general public with misleading press statements".

Although I think in their position I'd probably eventually feel compelled to do much the same thing enforcement wise, I'm not defending Odex. I think that they have failed spectacularly to engage the anime community in Singapore on an ongong basis. Their quality issues sound abominable, as does their failure to respond to consumer complaints about it. And their PR is generally a complete nightmare (which appears to be the reason that they are backpedalling on the issue so fast).

And I think that what the targeted individuals have had to go through is both unfortunate and unfair. It's a shame that the sins of the many are visited upon the few with such onerous penalties. It's ridiculous that they made no effort to alert the public that they had plans in place to go forward with an enforcement campaign. If you let people do something with no penalty for years, it only seems fair to give them a chance to stop before you decide to apply a hammer to their skulls.

But I've seen the Odex letter. Nothing in it forces settlement or demands payment (or even mentions payment). I'm not being naive either. If you are actually caught engaging in an activity which carries a legal liability and you can't effectively deny the evidence against you, then settlement seems extremely appealing to the extent that it can look like the only viable option. But it is being neither demanded nor forced. As far as lies to the public in press statements go, I'm not familiar with any with regard to this situation. I'm pretty sure they're stating the situation as they actually see it, whether I agree with them or not (I'm actually sort of neutral). Differing opinions do not lies make.

Miavi wrote:
And I'm pretty sure you'd be screaming like you got gang-raped by RIAA or the likes if they ever sent a letter down to you demanding cease-and-desist with settlement, and a clause that doesn't indemnify you from original recording companies who can still sue you for infringement apart from RIAA or the likes.

The 'rape' reference, incidentally, was stimulated by the blog headline 'Otakus’ Mums are Getting Raped!' which made me laugh. I included it because rape was missing its friends murder and slavery which were already here.

That said, if I got a letter from the RIAA then I'd be with a knowledgable attorney so fast it would make their heads spin. In the first place, I don't download music and never have. Same for the MPAA, I don't download movies. If I did, I wouldn't take the stupid risk of using P2P software or Bittorrent.

Even so, I don't suffer from the misconception that makes me safe. Because it has a firmware malfunction that will not allow my laptop to reconnect from a resume, I have an open wireless router that leaves me exposed to getting tagged for others engaging in activities that I do not. On the other hand, since the router demonstably malfunctions when secured, I'm fairly confident in my ability to mount a defense around that fact. And I'm neither poor nor a fan of the RIAA. so I'd almost welcome that fight. I'm stupid like that. In any case, I'm prepared for it.

I do download anime (actually I stopped a while back, but for the sake of argument let's say that I download - if I was in Singapore I'd be downloading). What I do NOT do is use any form of P2P to 'download'. Anything that requires you to share files yourself, and any tit-for-tat protocol, such as bittorrent, makes you a distributor (which is why bittorrent is the primary target for anti-piracy efforts). When/if I do download, if I download a show I like, I stop watching and wait for a licensed version. If I download a show I don't like, I stop watching. That's my self-serving way of saying that I don't do much harm, but I still know that I'm stealing when I do it. There's no hypocrisy here.

If any such coalition of companies such as AVPAS initiated action in the US, as they did in Singapore, I would stop downloading. That's just how I feel about it here. But if I was in Singapore, I'd keep downloading while taking a chance on using my same non-P2P methods. I'd also start saving up for my settlement, just in case. Since Odex is focusing exclusively on bittorrent, I'd feel pretty comfortable with that.

Miavi wrote:
And guess what, AVPAS is entirely run by Singaporeans, with only ONE Japanese in the ordinary committee, and the Japanese companies as associate members. Until we can get a press or official statement released by the Japanese companies stating that they were the ones who initiated the whole issue, it still lies in the fact that ODEX was the one who started it all. If you looked closely too, AVPAS authorised ODEX to carry out said actions, and the Vice President of AVPAS signed the authorisation letter for ODEX's president. The offices of AVPAS and ODEX reside in the exact same location..

Err... yeah. I'm not really sure what you are going for here. The chain of 'authorized agents' is pretty obvious, and it's also fairly obvious that Odex is sort of hiding behind the skirts of the Japanese companies to their own benefit. But if the Japanese members of AVPAS and other authorizing entities buy into that, then it doesn't really matter who said 'go'. My point in referencing the Japanese members was simply that it wasn't just Odex here. I simply find it a bit novel that the Japanese are finally getting involved in stopping anime piracy outside Japan at all, even if their role is a passive "yes, you may act on my behalf" letter.

Miavi wrote:
On the other hand, the community has repeatedly asked for confirmations of warnings from ODEX on this issue, and if they were really intent on stopping said "piracy", they would have acknowledged the queries, and not blatantly denied the allegations, which were followed shortly by sending out letters demanding payment all of a sudden.

You are 100% correct. At the point that it became rumored that enforcement efforts were going to be stepped up (initiated?), Odex should have confirmed it. People should have had the chance to make an informed decision about continuing to download with the knowledge that the climate was changing. It's a PR disaster for Odex, and the only justification for it that I can imagine (and it's a sad one) is that they intended all along to ensure that they could recoup expenses that they had already incurred with BayTSP.

Miavi wrote:
Refer to very first point. How would you feel, when all of a sudden, the "settlement" you paid for, has been shown to be a form of "extortion", where the company itself, is in no rights, to produce and send such letters, demanding said items or monies, and is in no rights, to press any charges whatsoever, much less criminal.

Think about what you are saying and the answer is obvious. If what you posit were true, then it would clearly be a criminal act on their part. That (and your 'A, B and C' example in your later post, which I suspect is incorrect but am reserving judgment on) would constitute a fraudulent misrepresentation perpetrated to negotiate an invalid settlement contract. So I'd get a lawyer. There'd be a letter. We'd see where it went from there. If they didn't actually have the right to negotiate the settlements, then they'd be toast.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
I like to keep up with the Odex situation, because it seems like a bellweather for what could happen elsewhere......

Agreed! I think they should not have opened a can of worms. I was surprised at their move. Their time and effort should be spent improving their products and reaching out to fans.

Quote:
I'm not defending Odex. I think that they have failed spectacularly to engage the anime community in Singapore on an ongong basis. Their quality issues sound abominable, as does their failure to respond to consumer complaints about it. And their PR is generally a complete nightmare (which appears to be the reason that they are backpedalling on the issue so fast).

Agreed! They seem to be altogether out of touch with the anime community (their customer base), otherwise, they won't open a can of worms like this. We all know where debates about fansubs and illegal downloads lead to....just look at the past threads on these topics in this forum!

Odex does not carry a lot of titles and hence, fans who collect anime merchandise need to import most of the stuff.

English subtitles on Odex DVDs and VCDs are not very different in quality from English Subtitles used in anime aired over National TV in Singapore. There are occassional grammatical and spelling errors. Character names are spelt differently than in Region 1 releases but this is acceptable because translation of names from Japanese to English can be subjective and spelling is not very different. According to people fluent in both English and Japanese, the translations are not always accurate. Fans have commented in other forums that the translations in region 1 releases are more accurate than translation in region 3 disks. This is a serious issue for titles with deep philosophical and political themes such as the 12 Kingdoms where fans scrutinise every word for in depth analysis of themes.

Quote:
And I think that what the targeted individuals have had to go through is both unfortunate and unfair. It's a shame that the sins of the many are visited upon the few with such onerous penalties. It's ridiculous that they made no effort to alert the public that they had plans in place to go forward with an enforcement campaign. If you let people do something with no penalty for years, it only seems fair to give them a chance to stop before you decide to apply a hammer to their skulls.

Agreed! I suggested elsewhere in a Singapore press forum that after having caused Singapore fans so much stress, Odex should stream 1 or 2 titles free over the internet for residents in Singapore. This is not an impossible suggestion, if they manage to collect fines, they can use that money for this purpose although I think many fans may not want to watch the free movies after this ordeal!

Quote:
....I don't download movies. If I did, I wouldn't take the stupid risk of using P2P software or Bittorrent.

I did not know that they are going after P2P or Bittorrent users. I thought they asked internet service providers in Singapore to release information on illegal downloaders but the ISPs are not obliged to comply to this court request and not all of them released the information although at least 1 did.

Quote:
.....I simply find it a bit novel that the Japanese are finally getting involved in stopping anime piracy outside Japan at all, even if their role is a passive "yes, you may act on my behalf" letter.

I also found this to be interesting that the original copyright owners are finally showing up. I read that the Japanese companies actually sent representatives to Singapore for this purpose although my information may be wrong because I read this in a forum and not from an official report.

Miavi... it does not matter who is related to whom, illegal downloads are illegal, call it file sharing or whatever you like but the activity remains illegal. If caught, offenders can be charged and fined. I don't see why people in Singapore are protesting.

It is very good to hear from you that there are people in Singapore who would starve to save money to import merchandise. Odex does not carry a lot of merchandise and titles, importing must cost a fortune.

Since Odex does not distribute a lot of titles, if somebody illegally downloads a title not distributed by Odex, Odex and its Japanese partners may not have the rights to lay charges.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7