• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Science Fiction anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MazinGO!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Armored Trooper Votoms
This is the gritty mecha anime many have probably been looking for since Gundam: 08th MS Team. Far-future setting spanning several different planets (from Blade Runner-esque cities to Indochina-inspired jungles), with low-tech science and small, grunty and ugly looking mecha. Main character takes the "dehumanized soldier" archetype and executes it well and is accompanied by some entertaining side characters.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Perfect, now I won't have to create a thread just to show off how much I like Guyver.

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor - Rated Masterpiece by 20, and Worst ever by 200, Guyver is one of the best science fiction out there.
A random teenager finds an alien unit which turns out to be a super armor. But what he didn't know is that Chronos, an evil organization, was after this armor as well.
This anime proposes a different origins of the human race.
Millions of years ago in the universe of Guyver spoiler[the Creators were fighting an almost unending war against an unkown(to us) enemy, to help with that war, they came to the Earth for a serie of experiments on living creatures. They were after the creation of a new biological weapon. After many failures, they finally created the humans. They trained the humans and made them fight each other as a test for their experiments. Glad that their experiment went well, they tried to make the new humans wear their own armor, Guyver. But by doing that they discovered that the humans would no longer obey their mind control, therefore Guyver was branded as a failure.
It's not known why they left the Earth after that. Maybe because their war had finally ended, or maybe they feared their own creations.]

Definitely a must watch for science fiction fans, excluding dtm42.

Last edited by egoist on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Definitely a must watch for science fiction fans.

I'm not so sure, actually. As a fan of science fiction I've watched many a trashy sci-fi show in my short time on this planet, and I enjoyed many of them. But the first episode of Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor was, well, pretty weak. I saw it on a NewType DVD and am glad I did. It was like a vaccine, keeping me from buying the actual show.

Whenever one says something is a must-watch there will inevitably be people who will be of a different opinion. But really, in this case I think you should find another title to champion as "must watch". Don't the statistics from the Encyclopedia tell you that maybe people (and that's people in general) consider it as being inferior to the other sci-fi shows in the one thousand one hundred and ninety-nine places ahead of it?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
If you're gonnna' watch any incarnation of Guyver, I'd actually recommend the OAV from the '90s. The story itself is only slightly better than the TV series, as in better-paced, though lacking in length. But I'd recommend it for the much more violent content and grittier looking artwork. One of the things that bugged the hell out of me for the series was how clean it looked art-wise. I'd definitely recommend the OAV, though, if you're looking for a guilty pleasure along the lines of a Ninja Scroll with aliens.
Link157

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I was wandering if the they were going to bring back vandread. I resently saw it online and found great interest in it... Sorry if I sound formal, 1st time with forums Smile . So I would recommend this to like everyone, but I'm pretty sure for this forum I can't recommend things. So yeah if anyone can tell me how to contact the creator of the english and japanese versions and maybe help me with it, I'd like to bring back Vandread. It was way too good to let go that easy!
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
Solty Rie That a good anime that few people seem to have picked up on also shows like Robot Tech for hours and hours of anime goodness.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Texhnolyze - It's portrayed in the future where the society has to live in underground and the main characters gets caught up in the scuffle between three organization. I like to compare it to Fight Club without the imaginative friend part.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Link157 wrote:
I was wandering if the they were going to bring back vandread.

What do you mean "bring back?" You mean make more of it? They won't, and it really doesn't need more. It told its story, had its characters go through their own personal journeys, and completed with an epic ending. It's one of the few anime series' out there that doesn't leave any loose ends dangling. There's really nothing more for them to use, unless they just make some silly extra episodes like some shows throw on after their plot has been resolved. I like the show a lot too, but it's perfectly fine and well contained in its 26 episodes already.

Quote:
So yeah if anyone can tell me how to contact the creator of the english and japanese versions and maybe help me with it, I'd like to bring back Vandread.

Even if we could, they wouldn't listen.

catstigereye wrote:
Solty Rie That a good anime that few people seem to have picked up

I second that. It starts off kind of slow and pointless, but it sure takes a huge turn around as things continue. Kind of like what Kiddy Grade did (though I am not saying those two are similar Wink ).
rojse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
i've found this to be a very useful thread, and pulled off several recommendations for myself, so I would like to thank everyone who decided to put in the effort to give their own recommendations. Here are a few SF shows I think are worth watching:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari is brought to Neo Tokyo-3 to pilot giant mecha known as Evangelion, to assist in the fight against the Angels - huge, enigmatic alien invaders. Although it seemingly starts off as a stereotypical giant mecha show, it quickly goes its own way, with well-drawn characters with complex psychological issues, intelligent ideas, and some very exciting mecha battles, too.

It's also worth watching the two original movies, even though they can be difficult to find - "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion" - the first is a recap movie, but tells the entire story in a manner which is rather different to the television series (which is appreciated). "End of Evangelion" gives the show another ending, which is either a retelling or alternate ending, depending on who you ask, and expliciates some ideas within the original show, obfuscates others.

Serial Experiments Lain: A young girl, Lain Iwakura, starts to use computers and learn about the Wired, and finds out that nothing is what it seems. It's exciting, and there is a lot of intellectual musings, too. Smart stuff.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes-A few months ago, I came upon this anime epic worthy of being the masterpiece it is. This hard sci-fi series is set in the far future(timeline has the story set in the 35th century by AD standards) where mankind has inhabited other planets and the majority of humanity has left Earth, war has persisted for 150+ years between the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance. Penned by Yoshiki Tanaka whom also did Tytania, sets the stage of a sci-fi epic space opera. Autocracy vs. democracy is the theme as the two sides fight over ideals and conquer terroritories, either planets or space fortresses. The tides change when two young men will affect the conflict significantly. One is Reinhard von Lohengramm, a young and ambitious admiral within the Empire and the other is the laid back genius Yang Wenli of the Alliance military. Whenever they are not fighting against each other, they often face civil conflicts within their own sides. Reinhard fights to end the decadent era of the Goldenbaum Dynasty which lasted for 500 years and his rage against the Goldenbaum's and those loyal to them, are fueled by the way they treat commoners and their discriminatory nature, but mostly because the current Emperor had taken his elder sister Annerose as one of his concubines when Reinhard himself was still a child. Eventually, he gains the support of many allies and wins the highest power in the universe. With Yang, originally wanting to be a historian, finds himself serving his nation's military sees the politicians on his side becoming corrupt and intimidating the people through threats that eventually led to the death of someone he cared for. Though loyal to democracy, he found himself questioning which is better, a good autocracy led by his rival, yet someone he respected, Reinhard von Lohengramm or a bad democracy. A third side to the conflict are the Phezzani's, who appear neutral, but actually pull the strings of the conflict between the Alliance and the Empire as they supply most of the funds that keep the war going and they selectively choose which side they will support that will bode well for their own interests, most of the time they support the Empire. However, a fourth side will appear, the Terran Cult, people loyal to Earth whose goals are to punish the rest of humanity who have abandoned Earth and see Earth as the holy land and have no qualms in dying for their cause. They see the Empire and the Alliance as their enemies and often disguise themselves to carry out their attacks. It is known that a politician in the Alliance named Job Truniht may have ties with the Terran Cult. With diverse characters with diverging opinions and ideals with no set protagonists or antagonists make this series an interesting watch as well as awesome space battles which are a dazzling sight to see. Filled with legendary seiyuu voicing the characters made the series even more enjoyable.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: On the sliding scale of sci-fi vs. fantasy, this movie falls squarely in the realm of "speculative fiction" for me (if you want to argue about the difference between the three, by all means create a thread for it), but its good enough that I think it warrants mention here. It wants to be sci-fi; and like the sorting hat said, "it's our choices and actions that define who we are."

Trigun: I'm surprised I haven't seen this on here yet. It starts out as a mildly silly western, but pretty soon people are killing each other with saxophones (not as a blunt weapon either), android arms, and their minds. Again, I'd prefer the term speculative fiction, but the abundant usage of sci-fi tropes in this show allows it some leniency in my opinion.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Having just watched Trigun for the first time I had no idea it was a good Sci-fi show. Starts off as a western comedy, but as the story progresses it definitely shows off it's a sci-fi show at heart as things go on. A hilarious yet Sci-fi grounded title. One thing that Trigun reminded me of was Solty Rei. Actually, more precisely said, watching Trigun gave me an idea of where Solty Rei may have gotten inspiration for its storyline...

And Solty Rei cannot be mentioned enough; here's a story that starts off fairly simple and 'normal' so to speak - but once it gets to episode 12 or so you better hang on for a wild Sci-Fi ride with twists and turns that just get better all the way to the end. You wouldn't think it's heavy sci-fi from the first few episodes, but it has a heavy Sci-Fi foundation as the series progresses. One of the few anime series that gets better every episode in and has one of the best endings you could possibly have.

I saw no mention of Cowboy Bebop (maybe I missed it though?)....Bounty hunters in space with lots of Sci-fi elements throughout - space travel, advanced technologies, and Cyber/internet content with action and hallucinogens to boot.

Sky Blue/Wonderful Days is a Korean 'anime' movie that combines future earth society in a city which actually lives or gets it's energy from pollution so to speak. Great for the city but not so great for those deemed unclean who remain outside the city in the pollution. Looks like a revolution is starting... and there's kind of a love story developing in the midst of everything as well.

Vexille is an action/sci-fi movie where you have a future Japan some 50+ years from now which has been in a technological isolation from the rest of the world for 10 years (meaning its been blocking the outside world through technological means from even physically being able to see Japan) along with going against international treaties for Android development. An American Special forces team is to infiltrate and find out what is going on in Japan. Things are not what they seem...

The short anime feature Pale Cocoon is kind of hard to describe without giving anything away, but basically you see research being done on past civilization (which looks a lot like current earth civilization) trying to catalog, by reconstructing files that are old and damaged. Story is in a research place with unfamiliar technology in a strange environment. Very interesting and somewhat surprising ending.

The short OVA series Time of Eve. Future society where androids and humans coexist. Some humans have become attached to human looking androids treating them as human and there are other factions looking to change the rights permitted to androids. Android's are easy to spot with a holographic halo projected above their head. In this climate there is a place where Androids and humans can go without knowing who is who/what and prejudice against one another is against establishment rules. How long that place will remain in existence is a question though... A very interesting, deep Sci-Fi OVA series about Android/human relations by the same author of Pale Cocoon.

A newer title is Birdy the Mighty: Decode, and it's a wild Sci-Fi ride as well. Take Men in Black and a Super Hero story and blend it together. Alien criminals/factions are using earth as a test bed for a special device since earth is a "primitive" planet. It's up to Birdy, an Intergalactic Federation investigator to find and apprehend the criminals and find out exactly what they are trying to do and keep things from getting out of hand, i.e. End of the World scenario. Based off the OVA from 1996 but more fleshed out with a good story and back stories that couldn't be told in the OVA's 4 episodes.[/b] One of my most favorite anime series.
Lordziba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
What about L-Gaim, Dougram, Xambangle, SPT Layzner, Dragnar, Dangahio(s)? Get Ride Am Driver. Gear Fighter Dendoh, God Mars(s), Landlock, Gravion, Goddanar, Tekkaman/Technoman, Zegapiain, Zepang, Super Atragon, Burst Angels (akin to the Bubblegum(s)),Zoids (variety of), Votoms from the Melovlink to the Plaisen Files, GIJOE Sigma Six, Highlander: Search for Vengence! The motorcycle sci-fi animes: Blassreigtor, Rideback, Viper's Creed. Space: Strain, Angle Links, Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, Starship Troopers, Xenosaga the Animation, Halo Legends and Shadow Cronicals (American titles done by the Japanese animators), Moon Base Dollos, Space Musketeer Bismark aka Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, Vernier Fighter Vifam, Mospeada, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, Kiss Dum Planet Engage, Glass Fleet (kind of in a way resembles both Crest/Banner of the Stars and the Legends of the Galactic Heroes), Ultraviolet: Code 44, ICE, Space Patrolman Justy, Maps, AWOL, Soul Link. I could continue some more, just have to look at my collection. I am just puzzled why these sci-fi animes never mentioned?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord_Ziba wrote:
I am just puzzled why these sci-fi animes never mentioned?

Maybe because many of them are generic or even pretty bad? A lot of them are also old, which does hurt notability. And most of them are just Mecha, plain and simple, which is very similar to but not exactly the same as Science Fiction.

But anyway, rather than just give us a list of titles, how about you actually explain what you thought was good in them? For example you listed Godannar. Well, what do you think makes that show so good from a Science Fiction perspective that you would recommend it to someone who is looking specifically for a Science Fiction title?
FeniceDragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess since my post was locked I will ask here. I see a lot of recommendations here however I was hoping to get some of your favorites that don't have excessive blood or gore. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6