• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Quill Award Goes to Book on Comics, Manga Storytelling

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
I read his first two books years ago. They mostly focused on American comics. It really opened my mind to the idea that comics could be considered an art form. That they weren't just for kids, and could communicate some really good ideas. I'll be interested to see this new book. I'm also familiar now with Manga and am looking forward to what he has to say about the medium.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
I have yet to read his new one, but Understanding Comics is a bible to me as an amateur comics creator and also as an avid reader. I suggest either book. His second one is mainly about web comics and his personal ideas of where comics should go. I've heard mixed reviews, so I'd suggest checking out that one last if not just skipping it and finding other books about comics. Another one on my list is an interview book between Frank Miller and Will Eisner published by Dark Horse.
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
I have read this book. It's totally amazing. A bible for all comic creators. Best of all was this book has gone quite deep into analyzing the different kind of storytelling and layout styles between western comic and japanese comic.

It was such a positive thing for the author to embrace the globalisation in comic industry recently. Whether it is Marvel superheroes style of comic, or it is Naruto style of manga......... at the end of the day, they are just comic in different visual style. This is such an important message for all comic fans and creators out there. Stop copying manga or anything japanese blindly. Learn the good things from them and create something of your own. There is no such thing as manga is greater than western comic or vice versa.

Anyway, great book!
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
SCOTT MCCLOUD IS A FREAKING STUD.

I have yet to read this book. Must run off to Borders this weekend.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As nice as it is that this author won, winning a Quills award doesn't make this the Best Graphic Novel of the Year because the Quills are based mostly on sales and popularity. http://www.thequills.org/nominating.html I mean, wasn't it last year that Naruto won and probably the biggest reasons why they won are that sales were very big and lots of fan voted for it? Is there any award that really judges graphic novels for excellence as the Hugo awards does for science fiction or the Edgar awards does for mysteries?

Edit: Oh, didn't make the connect to the Harvey awards mentioned elsewhere here. Never mind. Still, the Quill awards aren't meaningful.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Scott McCloud is freaking awesome. He spoke at OSU this past spring and is just frickin brilliant. He's a great speaker and anyone who has read his work and liked it needs to see him.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
As nice as it is that this author won, winning a Quills award doesn't make this the Best Graphic Novel of the Year because the Quills are based mostly on sales and popularity. http://www.thequills.org/nominating.html I mean, wasn't it last year that Naruto won and probably the biggest reasons why they won are that sales were very big and lots of fan voted for it?

Um...no. The Quills are nominated based on a combination of reviews, overall sales, and special merit, and then the winner in each category is selected by librarians and booksellers. The general public only has a say in choosing the overall best book for the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I have the Making Comics graphic novel on my shelf but haven't had a chance to read it yet. As a would-be comic artist though, I definitely intend to. Understanding Comics was one of the most awesomely inspirational things I've ever read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1