• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last School Days Episode Preempted by Real-Life Crime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well, I just pointing out that your insult was rather stoopid, and that you cant critisise other poeple for things that yuo do. Also tat your sarczm either fails or in non-existint.

Or, possibly, I'm insulting you because there's nothing else anyone can do to make you feel like crap. You clearly and happily acknowledge your lack of basic emotions, so attacking something you seemed to value for five seconds (your awesome grammatical skillz) was the best thing to do.

Oh, and, School Days sucks. Makoto is the greatest character ever.

And, why the hell are you beta testing a new N-Gage game? No one could even pay me to touch that piece of crap.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
And, why the hell are you beta testing a new N-Gage game? No one could even pay me to touch that piece of crap.

A job is a job, no matter how crappy it is. Also, this thing sucks........I can not understand why people would actually PAY MONEY to play this crapy game, on this crappy phone.

Also, it's not that I lack emotions, it's just that, somehow, I have gained the ability to "turn off" even the most basic emotion. So, I only feel emotions about someting I choose to feel emotions for. I should really have that looked into, as it's not really normal. We should also get back on topic before this topic gets closed......although I don't really see anything else that ca be said, unless someone is sure when the episode is airing.

PS: Sarcasm is not supposed to be funny. It's a bonus when it is, but it does not have to be funny to be considered sarcasm
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Also, when did I say I give two cents on the delay of School Days. My only beef was with the TV stations for not aring it, it could have been anything from anime to music videos. This whole "respecting the dead" is all fine and well, but it should not inconvenience other people. And what the hell, because something bad happened is showing puppy dogs and rainbows on TV gonna do ANYONE any good? Will it make things all better?

No, but it might prevent unneeded hurt feelings. Is having to wait a few more days for the last episode of an anime that</> big of an inconvenience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
You know...this kinda takes a lot of the excitement out of watching the last episode since we basically know whats going to happen now... Sad
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Also, it's not that I lack emotions, it's just that, somehow, I have gained the ability to "turn off" even the most basic emotion. So, I only feel emotions about someting I choose to feel emotions for. I should really have that looked into, as it's not really normal.

It's not normal.

I suffer emotional blockage when something massive happens, my mother's aunt who I was close to passed away the other week and I went several days without feeling emotion. An empty shell. I couldn't turn myself on or off. This happens whenever something real happens that effects me or someone close to me. I can feel for those people because I wasn't close to them. If I was, I'd be "off". It's not normal. I feel sick with myself when I get like that. Not feeling when I should makes me hate myself.

After awhile, though, it hits me hard and I spend a day or two in a minor-to-severe depressive state. But I feel better after that.

It makes me sick that you can claim to "turn yourself off" at will.
gizmoss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ok lets stop fighting and lets go back to topic Smile

In my opinion case they delay School Days its not by sentyments for family or anything like this.
Its beacose they afraid of people reactions,criticism and drop of their viewing frequency...Thats all...Media never do nothing for other people they do only for them selfs

PS I know this txt have lots of gramar bugs...I dont care/im not from England or U.S and i DONT CARE Smile
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of when 4Kids aired the two episodes of Sonic X that involved Perfect Chaos (a giant water god who flooded the city) right before and after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Duuuude, Japan may have a lower crime rate than America and such, but a schoolgirl axe-murdering her dad? We see gun shootings, yes, and knives occasionally, but I've NEVER seen an axe-murdering girl on U.S. news.

Ever hear of Lizzie Borden? Technically it wasn't on the news, but it's pretty well known and pretty disturbing. Axe murders are so gruesome because with a knife you could puncture a vital organ and kill someone quickly. An axe, I'm assuming this was a commercial hand-axe for camping and such since I don't think you could walk into Home Depot and buy a battle axe, requires much more force (unless you hit the head, although that in and of itself would be gruesome) to kill, and this was a teenage girl that did it (no offensive to any girls). In retrospect, the very idea of a teenage schoolgirl killing a police officer, even with an axe, is pretty ludicrous, so I'm thinking she may have done it while he was sleeping. That of course, is even worse, since she choose to kill her father in such a brutal way when she could have used a less painfull method. It makes me think that maybe, she wanted to hurt her father, not just kill him, which is really messed up.

On the other hand, it would be very ironic if a plausible motive suddenly emerged (such as abuse). Then people go from calling the girl a cold-blooded killer to calling her a victim. Why can't she be both? Still, I don't see any motive whatsoever right now, and the girl would probably say something if it gave her a chance in court.

Edit: whoops! Just reread the article and saw that it was in the early morning, when the dad was probably sleeping.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Jealous much? Oh, boo hoo, it makes you sick.......tough cookies for you. And I don't just "claim" it......it 100% true
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Jealous much? Oh, boo hoo, it makes you sick.......tough cookies for you. And I don't just "claim" it......it 100% true

If there was a way to say what I want to say that wouldn't get me banned, I would do it.

As for this, I've made my claim that the TV stations were justified in delaying the airing of this episode. If you can easily disregard life when compared a cartoon, go ahead. I don't care. Find your way to justify it. That's it. I'm done.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
One thing I don't get. Why are people so convinced that the TV sations are "showing respect for the bla, bla....."? Do you actually belive that they are doing this out of the goodness of thier hearts? No, they are doing it to protect themselves from a moral backlash. They are doing it for THEMSELVES. They don't want people saying that they are insensitive cause that might cause people to watch the staion less, witch would mean they would get less income from advertisimg. It's simple marketing, there are no "morals" involved.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
No, but it might prevent unneeded hurt feelings. Is having to wait a few more days for the last episode of an anime that</> big of an inconvenience?

No, it's not that big a deal. I just don't think it actually helps ANYONE. Is the greaving family & friends gonna go and watch anime right after the murder? I think not

And I don't need to justify anything to anyone. From my point of view is comparing something you have an interest in to something you could not care less about, and has nothing to do with you. Guess what anyone would chose

PS: Another interesting thing about my "condition" is that when I have my emotions "on", for some other strage reason, I can almost perfectly, and sometimes automaticly, emphasize with a person and actually copy their emotions. Like when talking to someone who's really sad/angry, I become really sad/angry. It's very usefull.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
There's something called "moment of silence." I prefer not to dishonor the dead by glorifying death.

You know what, though: This anime season had seen its share of bad luck.

Dokuro-chan had its show censored of its violence while it's on TV. Moe-tan had episode 5 removed of excess whatever... These are supposedly the "moe-moe" shows that play between midnight and 5:00am.

I could say that the only anime capable of getting away with violence now are Claymore, Gigantic Formula, and some other show because the violence herein wasn't glorified violence.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I'm sorry, but your claim is really kind of silly (not in a joking fashion, but in a stupid way). If you're actually joking then, for your own sake, please stop, because you're really embarassing yourself.

The notion that a human being could consciously "turn off" his or her emotions is scientifically implausible. That would require having complete control of your own brain chemistry, which is physically impossible. Why is that? Because your brain doesn't work the way you seem to think it does.

Emotions are incredibly complex, but they're all grounded in chemical transmitters and receivers in the brain. You can't control these any more than you can say, "Hmm, my left arm is broken so I'll just stop the pain signals from my nerves." You could certainly try ignoring your emotional reactions, and you might be able to distance yourself from your emotions to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean that you aren't experiencing the emotions.

What a person can do, however, is alter their emotional respones to situations over time. For example, I might not feel anything when I hear about a death on the news because I've been desensitived to violence. Over time, my mind has realized that there's no point in getting sad over it, so my emotional response is not the same as if one of my uncles died. However, if say I joined the Army and went to Iraq in a combat unit and was forced to kill people in order to survive, my emotions would very likely change. It's highly probable that such an experience would help me understand the nature of death to a greater degree than before, and thus I would be able to sympathize with the dead and feel differently about it emotionally.

Jeez that was long, but I'm not done yet.

Quote:
As for this, I've made my claim that the TV stations were justified in delaying the airing of this episode. If you can easily disregard life when compared a cartoon, go ahead. I don't care. Find your way to justify it. That's it. I'm done.

To Unholy_Nny, I sorry if this offends you but you seem like a very idealistic person to me. I can't speak for the Japanese, but Americans in general are largely desensitized to any sort of violence or misfortune that either doesn't affect them in some way, or doesn't affect a large number of people. Think about it. How many times has the news reported on a suicide bombing in Iraq that's killed over 50 innocent civilians (if you don't know, it's way too many times)? That's quite a lot of people, and if they were Americans it would be a big deal, but they're foreigners, so people automatically care less. Add in the fact that Iraq is a "warzone" (that makes violence more acceptable) and most Americans could hear this kind of news without much of a reaction.

What I'm getting at is that people either don't have the capacity for it or just don't care enough to regret every single death they hear about. They make up excuses like, "Oh they're just foreigners" or "Well, there is a war going on" or even "It doesn't affect me". But at the same time most of those people would be tearstruck if one of their parents/guardians/siblings died. Why? Why do people care more for that one single person than they do about thousands of innocent civilians?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to preach some kind all-reaching empathy. Human society couldn't function if we had to regret every single sad event. I'm just saying that I think you're expecting too much of people.
BakaOnna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I read this from another forum:

Quote:
On the morning of the 18th in Kyoto, a shocking event occurred: a girl (16) hacked her father's (45) head in half with an axe.
The suspect arrested is the second daughter who, upon graduating middle school, dreamed of becoming a mangaka, among other things. In a game described as featuring a series of mysterious deaths in a mountain village, of which a manga was also made, "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni," a scene depicts a young girl using an axe in a similar manner. The connection to the event was pointed by someone on the internet.

Kinda ironic if it was something like this, wouldn't it? But I guess that goes more for the 1st season than the 2nd. Either way, I hope no harmful consequences come out of this, because I hate it when forms of media are blamed for a person's (especially a young person's) actions.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh great! (not the mangaka). So now every time someone kills someone with an axe they are going to blame Higurashi? That's way beyond retarded. If she had used a sword would people go around blaming Berserk of Claymore? People need to realize that human beeings don't need medias help to kill other people
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4