• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Acquires Tweeny Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote
Oh nice, I figured the title was too old to be picked up. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
*waits for the first person to complain that the name has been "changed" from Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice to Tweeny Witches...

Never understood why, when it has had an official English name from the start, pretty much everyone has always referred to it by the romanized Japanese name, especially since it is so confusable with Mahou Tsukai Tai. Did like the series (but never say beyond about halfway) - the art was quirky and so was the story but it somehow worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Disney will sue, because the title sounds similar to Twitches.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I'll ever need to worry about buying a Media Blasters title again. (Yeah for all you sub-only fans but I'm really filled with malice toward them right now.)

In a way, I suppose I should be thanking them. I can spend my money on catching up with Funimation, ADV, Geneon (while they last) and Bandai and Manga Entertainment titles instead of their series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I never would have thought this series would have been licensed. And it's already 3 years old. Well, I guess it's never too late. I've never really watched the show mind you, (a friend tried to show me an episode) but I highly support it's release here. The art style is amazing. Definitely what you expect from 'Studio 4C'.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I wonder if I'll ever need to worry about buying a Media Blasters title again. (Yeah for all you sub-only fans but I'm really filled with malice toward them right now.)
Very true, I think of some of the ones that come to mind, like Twelve Kingdoms, or Otogi Zoshi, Genshiken. I have become lazy as I got older, and dubs got better, pretty much doing a switch from watching subs to listening to dubs. Never so much so that if it sucks I won't switch tracks, but I still want the option just in case I want the preference. Either way you get the point, I don't like buying it unless it includes both tracks. Selfish I know, but man it hurts too, no yuri. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
In a way, I suppose I should be thanking them. I can spend my money on catching up with Funimation, ADV, Geneon (while they last) and Bandai and Manga Entertainment titles instead of their series.

That's a very positive way to look at it so I am going to give it a shot as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess with Tekkon Kinkreet coming out, 4C might finally get popular in the US, so it would be perfect timing to bring this over now.

Did they say sub only, or are you guys only saying that since it's Media Blasters? I've really been wanting to watch this show, but I would really prefer it with a dub!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Oooh! They had this anime on before Greg's panel, and I've been really interested in seeing it!

I'd prefer having a dub for it, though. :\ I'll definitely at least rent it out, but I'm more likely to buy something if it has a good dub...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This show really bothered me; the director tried to get "creative" with the cost cutting measures, so instead of covering up someone's mouth with a book or something he'd have an extended conversation go on while we look at a table leg, or someone's foot, or a candle burning. Often times if something cool was happening we wouldn't see it happen; we'd see the room from an odd angle. It was really frustrating to watch.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I DO remember something like that happening while watching it at the con and thinking it was odd...

Hm...if that's the case, and it really is sub-only, it'll probably definitely only be a rental title for me, then. Anime hyper;;
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Did they say sub only, or are you guys only saying that since it's Media Blasters? I've really been wanting to watch this show, but I would really prefer it with a dub!
Considering their recent moves, unless there is a pre-made dub available that they can slap on cheap, it's a relatively safe bet this will be a sub-only release. (Unless this cost next to nothing and has a large R1 fanbase and even then it's not extremely likely.)

I'd love to be proven wrong though. I'd love to think that Media Blasters will go back and dub it's sub-only releases. I'd really love to hear that the anime industry is doing super good and we can have bilingual cheap releases forever.

I'm no longer optimistic though. I'm a cynic now.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Well I guess with Tekkon Kinkreet coming out, 4C might finally get popular in the US, so it would be perfect timing to bring this over now.

Oops.... that's my doing. There has been no official news confirming a dub, but with MB's policies on other releases, it seems as if if it's a niche title, it'll be subbed. They're dubbing Ikki Tosen 2 and Genshiken OVA/Kujibiki TV though, but those have established fanbases [Phoenix will have a dub too, though I think that was made when they initially licensed it a few years ago. It's an odd exception].
They could very well end up dubbing it. Though I thinka subbed version is more likely.....subbed releases allow them to have quicker turnaround times, which lets them release more titles.

Just remember though- Sub only's not all bad- it just means more attention paid to the subs [Kashimashi's are quite nice, visually], and a lower price for the consumer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2