• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Island

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really awesome. I've always been a huge fan of Miyazaki's work.

One question though, are the conversion factors in the article correct? 1500 houses on 18 hectares? And does 400 hectares really only make 1.5 square miles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ryuko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if this is such a good idea... It's eventually going to sink into the sea like the man-made airport island. (Kansai Airport? I can't remember...)
Kidotai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ryuko wrote:
I dunno if this is such a good idea... It's eventually going to sink into the sea like the man-made airport island. (Kansai Airport? I can't remember...)

The developers of Kansai, in a bid to "cut costs" thought the island would settle XX feet, when in reality, it keeps sinking and sinking....

Plus, they built in the middle of the ocean, not near the shore where they've had much sucess in reclamation projects. So, it was hard to map out the stratta under the ocean.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
And does 400 hectares really only make 1.5 square miles?

Slightly more.

Justin wrote:
1500 houses on 18 hectares?

About 1262 total feet/36 square feet a house. Kinda small, really.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:05 pm Reply with quote
lemme see, that works out to about 83 houses per hectare, 33 houses per acre or 1291 sqare feet per house.

Yeah, that's small, very small, but not impossible. Perhaps they are using multi appartment buildings, that would make more sense.
Ryuko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Architects in Japan know a lot more about getting a lot of people in a small space, so I wouldn't be worried about that..

Quote:
The developers of Kansai, in a bid to "cut costs" thought the island would settle XX feet, when in reality, it keeps sinking and sinking....

Plus, they built in the middle of the ocean, not near the shore where they've had much sucess in reclamation projects. So, it was hard to map out the stratta under the ocean.

So do we know how close to shore Miyazaki's island is going to be?
enjin2000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:09 pm Reply with quote
>Hayao Miyazaki collaborates on concept of "Teriya"

Teriha
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was Kotaro as well, but a quick Google search shows that the mayor's name is probably Hirotaro Yamazaki, an alternative pronunciation. My head hurts when I read kanji names.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:18 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
lemme see, that works out to about 83 houses per hectare, 33 houses per acre or 1291 sqare feet per house.

I knew my math seemed wrong. Embarassed
KiroLinau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the space. American land usage standards are much different. Plus the houses being built for the island are enviromentally friendly. That means more efficeint use of space, materials and energy. American houses wouldn't be so big if they were designed better. For starters, if we used Aero Gel for insulation rather than fiber glass, we could have walls barely thicker than a 2"x4". 3cm of Aero Gel has the same insulating power as 3 feet of traditional insulation. There are a lot of ways to cut cost and size without cutting quality. Building houses that use space under ground more efficiently for example. Many people are switching to eco friendly housing here in the US and cutting the cord with the energy companies. With the proper setup you can almost completely rid your home of the need of an outside power source. I'm really excited by the prospect of this island.

Also, about the island sinking; as kidotai mentioned it is not built in the ocean but rather much closer to land. We know a lot more about the stability of land nearer to the coast obviously due to the fact that it is much easier to inspect. Also it is less likely to be subject to earthquakes without us knowing. There is a lot of seismic activivity a the ocean floor that goes unnoticed. And finally, man made islands are pretty common and almost always sucessful. Even manhattan in New York is partially man made. Parts of the land are actually man made extensions.

I'm sure this project will work out just fine and I'm sure it will be really inspiring and beautiful.
Kidotai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:52 pm Reply with quote
KiroLinau wrote:
Also, about the island sinking; as kidotai mentioned it is not built in the ocean but rather much closer to land. We know a lot more about the stability of land nearer to the coast obviously due to the fact that it is much easier to inspect. Also it is less likely to be subject to earthquakes without us knowing. There is a lot of seismic activivity a the ocean floor that goes unnoticed.

Waitaminute, I said that since Kansai was built in the middle of the ocean, that's why it's sinking!! We don't know if Miyazaki Land is gonna be built near shore or not. Don't misrepresent!!
Syker 07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
announced that a 400 hectare (1.5 square miles / 988 acres) man-made island called Teriha is being constructed in Hakata Bay near the city

That would suggest to me that it is, in fact, being built near shore Wink

Syker Seven
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:07 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I live in Fukuoka! Too bad I'll have to leave for the States before they can get it finished...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1