• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Bandai Visual Set Release Dates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
$60 full series thinpack collection for Sorcerer Hunters

So, uh, does this include Spell Wars? Puhleeze? Pretty pretty please? I traveled an hour and a half to rent bloody VHS tapes of it but they were already rented out. Sad I haven't been able to find the things since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:

So, uh, does this include Spell Wars? Puhleeze?

Given that this release is listed at 725 minutes, looks like yeah, that's all 26 episodes of the original series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
$60 full series thinpack collection for Sorcerer Hunters

So, uh, does this include Spell Wars? Puhleeze? Pretty pretty please? I traveled an hour and a half to rent bloody VHS tapes of it but they were already rented out. :( I haven't been able to find the things since.

I believe "Spell Wars" was just a crappy subtitle ADV threw on to try and boost sales of Sorcerer Hunters. None of the single-release DVDs even mention it. So, its probably the full thing.

MS Igloo at $50 each... well, it could be worse.... but it could be much better. Maybe if they have some nice extras...

EDIT: clarity
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
kushiel wrote:

So, uh, does this include Spell Wars? Puhleeze?

Given that this release is listed at 725 minutes, looks like yeah, that's all 26 episodes of the original series.
26 episodes is typically 650 minutes though, so where are those extra 75 minutes coming from? Maybe it's the Sorcerer Hunters OVA. It'd be nice if they included Sorcerer on the Rocks as well, even though it's barely related to the other series. It's also good to see some of these older ADV series getting thinpack releases...I'd like to see Generator Gawl, Princess Nine, and BGC 2040 on the shelves once more.

Also, yay for Magikano -- that series was such great brainless fanservice/fun that I can't help but pick it up as it comes out.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I'm so happy about Sorcerer Hunters! I've been trying to finish that series for years! I wonder if I'll think it's as funny as I did in high school, though?
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Nothing about Gurren Lagaan though, eh? Bummer. I was really hoping they'd Chevalier D'Eon that one right into the stores, but alas. Don't make me wait a year like Funimation did with School Rumble ADV.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Why does it take them so long to post the DVD info?
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Why does it take them so long to post the DVD info?

Because it takes a long time to plan a DVD release? With all the license work, production work it takes time..... even with a rerelease like Sorceror Hunters, ADV probably had to wait till there was room in their release schedule for it, and for there to be enough demand for a 5th release of the series [vhs, dvd, dvd box, essential..... and now thinpack]

Belisaurus---- the release of Gurren Lagann can't be too long, as the Gainax tins for Nadia, Abenobashi, and Evangelion [platinum ed. apparently w/original extras/discs, not the thinpack versions] are being done as promotional tieins/marketing for it, to get fans excited for the next big Gainax sereis from ADV [no Yucie or ThisUYBW tins sets yet, though they both got thinpacks pretty recently]. So I'm guessing it'll hit sometime early 08........

Zalis--- Given Blue Seed's thinpack includes it's OVA, I imagine they're adding the SH OVA..... the AoDVD coverart forum points out the artwork for the box is from that version too. As for Sorceror on the Rocks [which is very stupid/funny] mabye they're saving it for a DVD double pack? It seems most of their oneshot OVA's are finding their way back into print this way [I hope they do one for Nurse Witch Komugi]
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that Dragon Half and Puni Puni Poemi are coming out as a double pack although I'm concerned these may be extras-free...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! And after I spent cash duckets to grab 'Puni Puni Poemy' because it was starting to become hard to get. Not to mention grabbing the first 2 'Megazone 23's and they did exactly what I figured they would do. Release them as a full set.

But then again wasn't that the point? Oh well. At least it will still be around for other people to grab.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
I am glad Puni Puni Poemy is coming back out, I've been looking for it. And at an affordable price too! Don't know anything about Dragon Half though, is it funny?

I won't be getting Megazone 23 due to the fact that I already have the whole box. But I am glad it is coming out in a set. Something like this should sell better, because lets face it, anime fans today aren't going to buy an older anime like this in single volumes unless they can buy it collected. Plus this new set will put it back on the shelves for a little while too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I am glad Puni Puni Poemy is coming back out, I've been looking for it. And at an affordable price too! Don't know anything about Dragon Half though, is it funny?

I won't be getting Megazone 23 due to the fact that I already have the whole box. But I am glad it is coming out in a set. Something like this should sell better, because lets face it, anime fans today aren't going to buy an older anime like this in single volumes unless they can buy it collected. Plus this new set will put it back on the shelves for a little while too.

Is it funny? Is it funny? You bet your sweet **** it's funny!! I love 'Dragon Half'. But don't take my word for it. Look, for $20 (and you might find it cheaper somewhere else) you're not wasting money. Considering that the price of 'PPP' never went down. So let's say you're paying $10 for each disc. That's the most sensible way to look at it. Of course I paid $6-$8 for mine. But that was during one of those bargain deals at 'TRSI'. And it's Ryuusuke Mita! I wish they would have published those comics here. But I wonder if anyone would have ever gotten the jokes.

Yeah, I sort of agree with you. New fans just aren't going to spend they money for something old. Hell, they barely spend anything for something new. But I won't get into that. Just go out buy it and enjoy it. Be glad you're getting the whole kitten kaboodle for a good price. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Is it funny? Is it funny? You bet your sweet **** it's funny!! I love 'Dragon Half'.

Laughing

Well thats good to know. Then I am really really glad they are being released together then. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Is it funny? Is it funny? You bet your sweet **** it's funny!! I love 'Dragon Half'.

Laughing

Well thats good to know. Then I am really really glad they are being released together then. Smile

And you get to hear the "late" 'Shiozawa Kaneto-san' (of Vampire Hunter - D fame) be funny. I only just wish that they had did more for 'Dragon Half'. But it's good enough. But I could not let 'PPP' go. They should've labelled this double pack the "side-splitter". Because that's what'll happen watching these 2 side by side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1