• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Witchblade DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
I've seen the 2nd episode off of Otaku USA's preview disc, and it really is a fantastic show that I might check out more of- Funimation's made a wise choice in a market where animated adaptions of US comic books are becoming more popular [Hellboy Animated for example], and a mature title for dvd buyers looking for something fantastically animated and full of action. Masane's relationship with her daughter is the extra element that makes it different from a lot of "bad girl" comics...... charater elements like this is what has kept Witchblade going when many 90's "bad girl" comics died off.

I was pretty surprised by it, and it's something that'll really appeal to Witchblade fans and anime fans who're looking for something different. Gonzo did a great job, and I hope they go back to the franchise sometime......... the concept allows for all kinds of possibilities. The more mature tone makes it something that isn't for everyone mind you, but still something with a wide range of appeal
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
This was a show I didn't intend to watch since I didn't like the live-action versions(never read the original comic), but I was suprised by how much I liked the anime(thanks for the link ANN.) Given the skimpyness of the costume the choice not to do a clothes-destroying transformation was puzzling--I wonder if there was a Go Nagai influence in the costume, it reminded me a little of Devilman Lady, though I think the WITCHBLADE comic came out before the DEVILMAN LADY comic. I liked that the main character is a mom, it
adds something a little different compared to most other female anime leads that I've seen.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I went into Witchblade out of curosity in seeing how Japanese company would do in adapting an American comic book story (and also see what the franchise was like). I didn't have quite high expectations, as I thought that the show might be more of a fanservice parade given its designs. It was actually exactly the opposite, as it was kept to reasonable levels and the main story, a strong one at that, was the real driving force behind the anime. Overall, I think that Witchblade was one of the best and most well-made shows that GONZO has done. Very good voice acting (Japanese), surprising good score and character designs (sort of a quasi-70s/modern look), and solid, consistant animation quality complemented the well-handled spoiler[and bittersweet ]story of a mother and daughter, which is what the show was all about (and thankfully, not about "hot bodies," as the old man would say, or skimpy outfits).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised at how good a show Witchblade was. I became interested when I heard the ending song (which I love to death) and the show wasn't bad at all actually, the art was stylish and Witchblade herself had a very great voice actress, I also really liked the mother-daughter story in the entire show. I'll have to pick the DVD up next time if the english dub is even better than the Japanese one.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested, and the review made me even more interested, but I am broke! *cries*

But, yeah, lack of funding means I need to be picky with my money. I can't run out and buy the first DVD unless I know for sure I'm gonna like it... Plus I'm still in the middle of BECK and have to start buying Higurashi. (Damn you, "ethical" fansubbing!)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Rihoko character saves the series from descending into generic content.

QFT. Rihoko definitely saves the anime from becoming just another average, very fan service oriented shonen series. Personally I really liked the few TV episodes I saw fansubbed (albiet I do like the TV costume better), but still Rihoko was perhaps the biggest reason why I kept watching. Of course she's does provide the "cutesy element" that many people may not like, but she's much more than that. I love how she's so smart for her age, her relationship with Masane, and how she really is quite important to the plot of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
Rihoko character saves the series from descending into generic content.

QFT. Rihoko definitely saves the anime from becoming just another average, very fan service oriented shonen series. Personally I really liked the few TV episodes I saw fansubbed (albiet I do like the TV costume better), but still Rihoko was perhaps the biggest reason why I kept watching. Of course she's does provide the "cutesy element" that many people may not like, but she's much more than that. I love how she's so smart for her age, her relationship with Masane, and how she really is quite important to the plot of the series.

Rihoko is a welcomed addition and does help add depth to the series. I wonder though if the added a daughter on their own or after talking with Top Cow. Considering Sara is now pregnant and it's tying in with the Darkness and Angelus. So maybe Top Cow decided to do that after talks with Gonzo or vice versa. Just a random thought from me.

I got my first look at the series at Otakon and I loved the dub. I am a dub watcher and I like Funi in particular but this one was done better then most. The voices did fit well and I got to go to the Witchblade panel with Jaime Marchi at Otakon. Her portrayal of Masane is more sexual and that was deliberate on her part. The Witchblade bearers have also always (including the former bearers explored in the Tales of the Witchblade spin offs and other one shots) been super hot wet, sexual, dream inducing babes (one of my favorites being Anne Bonney or Katarina). Granted Masane's outfit drives it to a whole different level (with the crotchblade as it's being called) but it's really not that far from par. I think Marchi's sexual voicing for Masane in Witchblade form fits the character better then the more bestial tone. Her character oozes sexuality so having a sexual voice during the Witchblade parts make sense. Besides the armor Masane's breasts are also a bit larger then most. The women have all been busy but I think Masane tips the booby scale with hers. They almost look bigger when she's wearing normal clothes and not in Witchblade form.

Now as mentioned by Theron her outfit is a bit drab compared to the comics. The Witchblade series has had various teams working on it over the years, though I still say the originals (Wohl, D-Tron, Turner) did some of the best, and that's made for varying art and depiction of the characters. Regardless of personal design they have almost all done the Witchblade with very sharp and dramatic coloring. The outfit itself has always been sharp, literally, and very detailed. They could give it that amount of detail in the anime but it would be very expensive and honestly not worth it on a show that's not super well known or likely to be a big blockbuster. I would prefer honestly if Gonzo did a second season (if it's possible, not sure since I haven't obviously seen the end of this season) instead of spending more money on making her outfit look sharper spend some on getting the rights to animate and bring in a future Darkness perhaps. I mean the Darkness is one of the parents of the Witchblade and it's always got a wielder just like Witchblade. More random thoughts...sorry.

Honestly this isn't for everyone but I highly suggest fans of American comics, hot bad ass women, or action check it out. Plus despite the hot women and action there's always been good dramatic undertones to the series as the bearers discover their real humanity (or lack there of in some) while coming to terms with the Witchblade. Remember, the Witchblade is not simply a weapon. It's actually a sentient being that melds with the bearer hence why it influences them and their actions. The mentality of the bearer determines how great the influence.

Oh and for those who have read the comics, or simply think this anyway, and think a Japanese bearer makes no sense remember the Witchblade was never in America before and actually brought to America by Kenneth Irons years and years ago and there was a Japanese bearer in the past once already (Yumiko) and one in the WAYYYY future (Dark Minds one shot deal) as well (so obviously it stays in Japan for a while). Enough of my fanboy ravings. Buy the show and like it! Laughing
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
When I first watched this series fansubbed and I saw the main character woman, my first thought was that Monica Rial should do her voice, and FUNi did exactly that. Good job, Funi!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
When I first watched this series fansubbed and I saw the main character woman, my first thought was that Monica Rial should do her voice, and FUNi did exactly that. Good job, Funi!

Sorry to disappoint you, but they didn't. In the dub, Masane is played by Jamie Marchi, not Monica Rial.

psycho 101 wrote:
Rihoko is a welcomed addition and does help add depth to the series. I wonder though if the added a daughter on their own or after talking with Top Cow. Considering Sara is now pregnant and it's tying in with the Darkness and Angelus. So maybe Top Cow decided to do that after talks with Gonzo or vice versa. Just a random thought from me.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. It'd be a nice tie-in to the fact that Sara is pregnant currently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I saw it on Otaku USA's dvd too and personally I wasn't impressed. It seemed to have no unique storyline, but i'll admit it is unfair to judge from one episode.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I saw it on Otaku USA's dvd too and personally I wasn't impressed. It seemed to have no unique storyline, but i'll admit it is unfair to judge from one episode.

Well you definitely need more then 1 episode, they explain alot more detail later plus it ties into to hundreds of comics, live action TV series, etc.

Your not required to have read or seen any of it but you definitely get more out of it if you have
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Question! Is it so overly sexual that someone who isn't interested in that would be able to enjoy the series without being distracted or made uncomfortable?
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Question! Is it so overly sexual that someone who isn't interested in that would be able to enjoy the series without being distracted or made uncomfortable?

It's not so much sexual as she basically gets off on the power trip from using the witchblade and the power she possesses while transformed. Thats only while transformed or under its influence and NOT the entire show, With floss costume of course.

Granted i haven't seen entire show so that might change but from what i've gathered the witchblade tends to amplify baser emotions. Anger, jealousy, lust, etc. So under its effect she is radically changed but when not using it she is relatively normal
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but they didn't. In the dub, Masane is played by Jamie Marchi, not Monica Rial.

Strange. I could have sworn I saw Monica Rial as Masane in the voice actor cast. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Strange. I could have sworn I saw Monica Rial as Masane in the voice actor cast. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

Nope Ms. Jaime Marchi is the Witchblade bearer for the anime. Never heard much of her, beyond Shin-chan, so I was curious at the choice. I met her and went to the Witchblade panel at Otakon which was very cool. She seems very nice and after seeing some of the peview I must say she seems to be doing a very good job.

One other neat thing about the anime is the dvd covers. Each of them are not being done in Japan. By that I mean the cover art for each volume is in fact being done by a different Top Cow artist. So the dvd covers will be from the American company who does the comics. I thought that was a very awesome addition and way to include the founding company of the show. I can only hope Michael Turner and Silvestri himself provide a cover for us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2