• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Satisfaction Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
In the past, I've been very happy with Geneon. However recently I've found their releases pretty weak.

I'm very happy with Black Lagoon. Theres also Hellsing Ultimate which I absolutely love but the releases are so spaced out, plus you only get 1 40-50 minute episode per release which kind of sucks.

There's Ergo Proxy which Im not buying because its on G4 tech TV. Also so far I've founf it pretty mediocre.

Other than that theres nothing that interests me. I would certainly keep buying the couple series that do interest me or any other titles they might get that appeal to me.

EDIT:

Im hesitant to awnser this survey. Im very satisfied with Geneon products that I purchased. However, the problem is that I only purchased a few titles because very little of their stuff appeals to me.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
FateSaint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
id continue to buy Geneon, their split in my dvds is 1/4..rest are ADV/Funimation
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Geneon hasn't been perfect, but in general, their shows have been of good quality. If Geneon got things worked out and gets a distributor or somehow continued the release of these titles, a couple months delay would not shake my faith in them. It's not like they are doing this because they want to.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Im hesitant to awnser this survey. Im very satisfied with Geneon products that I purchased. However, the problem is that I only purchased a few titles because very little of their stuff appeals to me.

The purpose of the survey wasn't to find out if their products appeal to you, but rather if you were happy with the products that you did buy from them.

Explained differently:

I'm not trying to find out if they licensed good shows, but rather if they did a good job producing the shows they licensed.

So even if you only bought 1 Geneon product in tha past 24 months, by all means, please answer the survey.

-t
KaidoYuji8Shinji-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I am slightly confused by the survey. I have GENEON titles, and have been more than highly satisfied.
But the other questions confuse me (maybe it's lack of sleep and Organic Chem)
So, if GENEON were to still be alive, and send distribution and sales to another company..would I be happy?
Yes, if that means we get the same Geneon quality product and they stay alive.
The other responses are less desired to me.
I will truly miss the Geneon I am used to. Pioneer/Geneon is my favorite company by far, and I just snatched the Trigun Remix tins. They will be missed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I already own the two Higurashi DVDs that have been released, and will step in line for the Nanoha DVDs once someone announces a release date.

All I care about is that someone (be it Geneon itself or another company willing to take the reins) steps up and settles this matter so the titles they have will continue to be sold, or continue to be on track to land on store shelves. How am I supposed to recruit haibane fans if I can't point them to DVDs they can buy? What would I say when someone asks me why my laptop is named "Club Cyberia"? How am I supposed to figure out why someone was willing to make A's Combat Zero if I can't watch Nanoha & Nanoha A's?

Ya know i also named my laptop after a geneon character, her name is Shana, where my tower is named Ruri ruri.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction was to be negative, but in actuality I have been very happy with my previous Geneon purchases. And, I very much want to be able to finish my current viewing of Karin, When They Cry, especially Black Lagoon, Rozen Maiden, and Kyo Kara Maoh (I feel like I've invested a lifetime and a small fortune in that one and I really, really want to see the end of it). I'm hopeful someone will take over the remaining yet to be released animes.

My spouse and I are retired and in our 60's and anime has become our passion and hobby the last few years. We buy all our anime dvds from online stores, have never downloaded, gone to a convention, etc.

We've amassed quite a collection and enjoy it immensely. I hate to see this happening with Geneon from a very selfish viewpoint. We're not 20 anymore and don't have all that long to wait ... so please someone take all this over and get our anime out to us!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Geneon hasn't been perfect, but in general, their shows have been of good quality. If Geneon got things worked out and gets a distributor or somehow continued the release of these titles, a couple months delay would not shake my faith in them. It's not like they are doing this because they want to.

I agree with you here, HS. Geneon has always been reliable and they have licensed most of my favorite series. I have never had a problem with any of their products that I can remember. Equally, I will not lose my faith in them as a company and strongly hope that somehow this will all be overcome. If a company plans to help distribute their titles, that's fine with me as well, because in the end, it's not about the company to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeFanboy1982

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I've always been very satisfied with everything I've purchased from Geneon from the Pioneer days up to receiving Black Lagoon vol. 3 and Higurashi Vol. 2 a couple of wks ago. They've always produced products of consistently high quality and were very nice to there fans and supporters. If they were to find a distributer for their products then I would most certainly continue to support them (same goes for if by some miracle they started distributing themselves again someday).
phantomsdaydreams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I for one hope that Geneon has some hand in this to gauge what future action they should take. If only becuase I want the company to exist. Diversity in the market is good, they had a great back catalo, and some promising new titles. On top of all that I found their products and service highly admirable. While I may not have been raving about any of their new series I can certainly see the quality of some of their newer licenses. I personally don't mind if another company takes over/distributes their catalog as long as they continue to exist. Just in case they are gone for good though I made sure to order "New Getter Robo- Comp. Box Set" because if only certain titles are selected I doubt that a Go Nagai work would take precedent. Laughing
Jinshi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I love Geneon, it's a shame that a great company has to go. From what I've bought from them I was given really good quality. The special edition of Hellsing Ultimate would definitely be one of them. If some miraculous future comes and the Dvds were to be sold again I would continue to buy them
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I gave them a good review because I really enjoyed the dub version of Fate/Stay Night, but Shonen Onmyouji's dub was pretty poor. I think others have said they made Haibane Renmei, etc. which has an "ok" dub. This said, I know they are capable enough of doing good things with FSN so I would purchase things they have again. I am interested in checking out this Shana show others are referencing as well. I haven't seen any of it, but it has good reviews. Only thing I'm not sure of on it is the dub, I don't know anything about the dub.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the results of the last question, I expected a bit more negativity.

Say for example someone else picked up Higurashi but Nanoha was dropped entirely. I would be peeved to say the least, but why should that stop me buying and enjoying Higurashi?

The "this company did something that annoys me so I'm boycotting all further releases from them, even if they have a series I love, and will try to convince anyone within earshot to do the same" croud are very vocal, but thankfully in the minority it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Indeed Geneon Has the highest percentage of my new releases with 11 titles (counting the just finishing Ergo Proxy, Zipang, Fate/Stay and Ayakashi). I believe that the only titles that I'm not collecting are Kyo Kara Maoh and Law of Ueki. This is close to 1/3 of the current DVDs that I'm collecting, I can't see other companies taking the risk (maybe Media Blasters) on shows like Black Heaven, Daiichis, Human Crossing, Master Keaton, Someday's Dreamers, and Ultra Maniac.

It is sad that the company that I buy the lowest percentage (out of stuff they have released) is the very successful Viz who rarely release anything that isn't a guaranteed hit. I hope that Media Blasters continue to get their eclectic sub only budget titles, since there is only so much Naruto, Inuyasha, Pokemon and One Piece I can take.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I really never paid attention to distributors, I just buy what anime I like when I can, I didn't even acknowledge what titles I was buying or wanting was geneon till I read this sad news about them and looked over there licensed series. I hope these title get released again, I don't really care if its geneon or not just as long as someone does them, if geneon comes back thats fine, and if someone else picks them up and geneon disappears thats fine to because like I said I don't pay attention to distributors but only actual anime titles. My results seem to be with the majority on the poll to. If there is one way these events have affected me it would have to be being cautious of buying series as they are released one by one and just stick to buying complete collections, luckily for me I was only buying ergo proxy and plan to start fate/stay night, I would be extreamly pissed if I bought karin or rozen maiden, and I almost did if it wasn't for my desire to finish other series before buying new ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5