• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Satisfaction Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
Here are my formal responses -

In the last 24 months, the Geneon products I bought, I was very satisfied with. Excellent quality all around. Not a single problems I had with them or their products.

Provided another company did take over sales and marketing of Geneon products, the recent news has not and will not affected my faith in their products. I still believe they would've put out great products nonetheless. I would have full faith in them.

If another company takes over the production of Geneon products, it will significantly affect my faith in the quality of Geneon products. Especially if FUNimation and it's horrible video quality or bad subtitles. Although, to a lesser extent - ADV's terrible coverart as of late. Media Blasters' sub-only releases... so many significant possiblities.

If Geneon is unable to complete its releases or delays them indefinately. I would be very likely to continue buying Geneon products if and when they are released. This is a no-brainer for me.

- Sark
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, seeing as I've only bought Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon, I don't know If I'm in the best position to say but I have had no problems what so ever with their releases.

I couldn't care less about a new distributor since pretty much all the work in terms of creating the actual product is done by the production team.

If a different company took over production, I might be a little warry. Mostly I would be concerned about them changing the Dub cast. I would probably still buy the stuff anyway though.

Finally, without a doubt I would still buy the stuff even if there was a long delay. Better late than never.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the results of the last question, I expected a bit more negativity.

I think that the reason that the responses to the survey aren't more negative in general is fairly simple - particularly for the last question. If you wish to legally acquire a show that a particular Anime distributor sells, what choice do you have but to buy it from them? You may be really mad at them, but if you want the show legally, you still have to buy it from them. So, you'll put up with them because you have to.

Now, in this particular case, it doesn't look like to me like Geneon is screwing up so much as Dentsu is screwing them over. So while I'm quite unhappy with the current situation, I don't see a big reason to be mad at Geneon. Dentsu yes, Geneon no.

In any case, hopefully it all get's sorted out soon and we don't end up losing out on Geneon's past and future products thanks to Dentsu's stupidity.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
First and foremost I do want to say I have been happy with their over all job with anime. I'll answer the actually question specifically but I did want to simply say I do think they over all did/do a good job with their production.

Now specifically have I been satisfied by my Geneon purchases? Yes and no. I'll explain each.

Yes

The animation quality has for the most part always been good. Now I know they don't have anything directly to do with that but they are as a company picking up these titles. So while they aren't animating them themselves they are for the most part picking up well done titles. Whether this is by their own doing or through luck and chance either way they have had a good habit of picking up well animated shows in my opinion.

The dubbing has always been some of the best. Every company has hits and misses. I do enjoy my ADV despite the loathing they can get but they do bad shows just as Geneon does. No company, or VA can always be on the money. You take the bad in stride and hope the good outweigh the bad. For me the good dubs do outweigh the bad dubs with Geneon though.

Variety. Geneon in my opinion has a nice varied catalog. Again this is just more of my personal opinions but I think they carry a nice selection of varying genres and sub-genres.

No

The pricing could make me think twice about a purchase. Often when in arms about a new series to try if I was comparing a Funi or ADV disk to a Geneon and couldn't decide on plot alone price is the factor. In that case Geneon lost more then the others. Granted they were great about mostly sticking to 4 episodes per disk and not dropping to 3 (like Pioneer did with one of my favorite titles "X" tv. Loved the show but 8 discs and most with only 3 episodes killed my damn wallet) but the price in this day and age was still a bit above par. Though I will say in the past year my titles purchased have been more strict over all. With that in mind I have bought more new Geneon titles in the past year then any other company. Hence showing that have good diversity to keep people buying and interested.
lj1958

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
I felt like they did a wonderful job with Last Exile, which is the last series I bought from them before Ergo Proxy. I also rented Gankutsuou during the last year, and felt like they did an excellent job with that as well.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
I've had no problems with the dvds I've purchased from Geneon unlike ADV, Bandai, Funimation, CPM & MediaBlasters. The shows almost always impress me with how they look. I view Geneon in a far more positive light than Viz which also is brutally faithful about 3-4 eps per single dvd (Flame of Recca took forever)
Their flaw has always been they never seemed to understand the American audience-our supersize me mentality. They always seemed to feel 3-4 eps with no "extras" beyond trailers & maybe clean open or close were fine. We're already getting 3-4 (Trigun/Gatekeepers days) eps per dvd for far less than the Japanese fans, what more could greedy American fans want? We want more food than we can eat on a plate so we can take home the extra in a doggie bag. We want 4-6 eps plus some nice extras. Pioneer/Geneon never seemed to grasp this concept.
However the shows they released made it worthwhile. Before I looked at my collection a few yrs back & noticed how much of it is indeed Geneon product, I also thought poorly of them because of their pricing, but I would gladly pay what I paid for most of their products (Trigun was a bit steep & then they signature seriesed it.) My teen has ordered me to put together Fate/Stay Night which I was waiting for a box on. I guess I have to move on Champloo which I was waiting for a cheaper box on. But looking at my Viz collection (the other company not fond of extras) in comparison there is no comparison. Viz reeks compared to Geneon's titles

I still don't see this as a major indicator of the US anime market because it still seems more Biblos than CPM. The Japanese Parent company has something going on & how well or poorly the actual sales here were seem only a small part of the master plan. Foreign offices can be quite expensive. This whole affair feels like an unemotional business deal. American Geneon doesn't fit Dentsu's 5-yr (10-yr?) plan.
lj1958

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
My teen has ordered me to put together Fate/Stay Night which I was waiting for a box on.

This is OT, but I gather you are a two-generation anime household as well (since I have two teens, who don't "order" me regarding anime, but can put up a stink if something they want isn't high on the online rental que).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I always enjoyed what 'Geneon' released. There were only so many titles that I was content with. After hearing this I sat back and realized that there were only so many more that I wanted to buy from them. Really sucks! I tell you. It's like they just threw their hands up and said, "**** it!".

Oh well. Can't complain about it anymore. We just have to wait and see what happens next. More than likely they won't be finishing anything slated after the 'Nov' deadline.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I shall definitely support Geneon no matter what! Especially with them licensing Shounen Onmyouji, my favorite anime of all time! I hope they release more DVDs soon.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I have 16 anime series by Geneon/Pioneer on my shelves & whilst not all of them have been to my liking, several titles are in my top 10. I think the quality of their products is great when compared to some of their competitors, even though they are a wee bit more pricey (it's been worth the extra money IMO). So all-in-all, I have been very satisfied with their products, & would have continued buying them if it weren't for their parent company deciding to pull the plug. -_-;
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon is so awsome i never seen so much action Story of Saiunkoku is funny both products are good and and i hope that they release them some where else or continue to release for spite Twisted Evil
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I'm not trying to find out if they licensed good shows, but rather if they did a good job producing the shows they licensed.
In this category, I would say that Geneon has inarguably done the worst job producing some of their DVDs that I have ever seen in the last year. Notably, Fate/Stay Night volume 2 which was mis-authored at the lowest bitrates I've ever seen and came out in what is probably fansub quality (I can't be sure which is worse since I've hardly ever seen fansubs). Same goes for Shana volume 4 although the video quality issues were of an unrelated variety. Geneon also botched a number of other things this year, including letting an entire batch of Fate/Stay Night volume 1 limited edition boxes go out with loose, scratched DVDs inside.

And oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the entire Fate series was riddled with horrible grammatical errors, mispellings and typos (such as "Hey w;hat is that" or "I are going to school now"...I've made these up BTW since I can't remember exactly what was said) on a consistent basis. This in particular did not bother me one bit though, it's just another objective thing that I can point out.

I made theads on these issues earlier. But a lot of people don't notice these things, especially the video quality issues. There's nothing I can do about that except sigh and shake my head. I wouldn't trust the results of a poll on the quality of Geneon USA's work one bit, as most fans are unknowledgeable or unobservant or simply don't care.

All I can say is that the problems were severe enough for me to merit a personal boycott of all Geneon USA products immediately afterwards. So (and I apologize beforehand if this sounds arrogant), regardless of the results of the poll, if someone was so upset by poor production quality that he suddenly boycotted a company that he used to hold in the highest regard, it proves that Geneon was already doing many things terribly wrong in the past 12 months.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I've seen funky subtitles from other companies. My preferred mode of watching is in English with the subtitles up to compare the dub script & Saiyuki dvds 4 & 5 wouldn't fly that way (making me suspicious about how lose ADV might have been with the dub script). Funi also has some that won't pop between languages & I've returned more DBZ dvds as unplayable than I can remember. What really amazed me was YuGiOh Tekkaman Blade & One Piece which don't have dual tracks which refuse to play on my player.
And the dubtitles for Tactics can be blamed on ADV who did the dub or Manga who released it? THe occasional misplaced ? is nothing. There was one...I've totally forgotten, but it was one I came across recently that made no sense whatsoever &, considering my teen was watching it with me, it was probably ADV (Papuwa) OR Hare+Guu (Funi?).
A good or bad dub doesn't phase me since as long as there are 2 language track I can pop over to Japanese. Shonen Onmyoji sounded sort of stilted, but hell's bells, we get Katsuyuki Konishi & Akira Ishida in Japanese. The lead really sounded no worse than some of the kids ADV is fond of using (I prefer adults doing the kids) who sound rather stilted.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
In general I've never been critical of an anime title where the dub lines and subtitle lines don't match up. To me that's not an issue. I actually expect and prefer that. Usually I agree with the principle that it is best to keep subtitles as close to a literal translation as possible (altering the translation a minimal amount so as to not sound awkward)...but dubs usually require a far more loose translation otherwise they sound stupid at times. Japanese people simply don't speak the way Americans do, and many of the things that come out of their mouths sound dumb or cheesy in English, if you translate them literally. So instead, I personally feel that for dubs, it's best to simply consider the situation, and think about what an American would have said in that situation, and say that instead. Even if it is something completely different.

That's just my personal opinion though and I know that not everyone else agrees.

But mispellings and typos in the subtitles of Fate/Stay Night are something that everyone should agree is wrong, so that's why I mentioned it. Personally these errors don't bother me either, but they are convenient mistakes that we can pick on because it's not subject to personal opinion.
FateSaint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
oh, i forgot to mention one of my most favorite anime's Paradise Kiss was put out by them...def plan to buy the boxset as well(already own the whole series too!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5