• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Satisfaction Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's they actually improved or I'm just sad I won't see more since according to all the experts here titles like Shonen Onmyoji aimed at us gals are what killed Geneon, but the dub actually souded better on dvd 3. I was amazed at the animation quality on the title since I'm used to a few freeze-worthy frame & otherwise average art on the female harem titles, but this one has amazing animation. (Compared to Kyo Kara Maoh, etc)

Yeah, My teen tells me which titles she expects me to buy (Gintama manga) based on bishies she's sighted on the net & investigated. We were both waiting for GetBackers by the time ADV released it.

But I do hope someone will take the gamble on it. It's better than Princess Yucie so far. (god, I forced myself to finish the on-demand for that. It was so aimless)
zebbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
i don´t understand why they will shutdown geneon company
beside they are the best anime dub of all company if is some comapny should shutdown it is 4kids and i was looking for rozen maiden, karin, when they cry and more Crying or Very sad
/sorry my bad english
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy anime much in stores-I do RightStuf sales or Amazon, but last night I was in Best Buy ferrying a friend of my teen on an ipod shopping expedition & checked the anime shelf. Story of Saiunkoku 1 was $20. Xenosaga was $20. Valkyrie whatever was $23. Suzuku was $20. Another ADV title was also $23.

So how is Geneon more expensive?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Saiunkoku is a bad example because its one of the ones with a lower MSRP (which Geneon seems to do for shows like Saiunkoku and KKM which are longer than normal). You need to find something like Fate/Stay Night or Rozen Maiden or most other Geneon shows for a proper comparison.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I've actually questioned the people who claim that Geneon is more expensive than ADV and Funimation in the past as well. On the consumer end of things, Geneon is only slightly more expensive at best. It varies with time.

Recently Best Buy has lowered Geneon prices and raised ADV prices, I have noted. Funimation is currently testing out some super-new super-low pricing scheme so they are the cheapest by far right now (at least at Best Buy). It varies with time and the title.

A number of forum participants have claimed that Geneon's wholesale prices are more expensive than the other studio's, however I'm not sure I believe them. Suncoast employees have told me that Geneon's wholesale prices to them are the cheapest of the other studio's at certain times, and that was when they offered their 50% off sales.

In general, at Suncoast and Sam Goody stores, Geneon titles have always ranked among the cheapest. Also, around 3 years ago Geneon titles were also among the cheapest at Best Buy. It varies with time and I've never been convinced that Geneon was more expensive than average.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Recently Best Buy has lowered Geneon prices and raised ADV prices, I have noted. Funimation is currently testing out some super-new super-low pricing scheme so they are the cheapest by far right now (at least at Best Buy). It varies with time and the title.

I was just at Best Buy today and the Geneon prices were the same as normal. The only series that have gotten reduced prices are 9 disc series like Saiunkoku, Ueki, and Kya Kara Maro. 13-26 episode series are still the same price.

And you are correct, Funi has been re-releasing titles at lower prices and its not just Best Buy. You can now get the first volume of, say, Gunslinger Girl at Best buy for $12. Re-releases of FMA are coming out soon as well and a number of others have or are on their way.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
My anime collection isn't big and I don't have that many titles by Geneon but I am very happy with Haibane Renmei, Mermaid Forest (my collection is incomplete) and Akira.

Geneon does not license my favourite titles which are mainly Funimation and Bandai-Sunrise. Personally, the best quality DVDs come from VIZ, the 4 Iuyasha movies are packed with extras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5