• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Makes Website 'Interim Retail Center'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
The latter I suppose, but with them catering to a corner of an already niche market they may continue this distribution strategy indefinitely. Given their pricing strategies and all, this may actually be the best route for BV.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Zilveari wrote:
Sweet, maybe dubbed anime will die in the next 5 years, and we'll be back to the fansub stoneage.

I've held myself back a lot before wanting to say something like this. But. Have any of you guys ever wondered why live-action foreign films (think like Pan's Labyrinth) are almost always released sub-only, and why there is never *any* kind of movement to dub them?

Well, why *shouldn't* anime be treated the same way? Hell, if nothing else, that kind of treatment really is what BVUSA is aiming for. And if you can't deal with it, well guess what, you are *not entitled to something you don't understand.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Zilveari wrote:
Sweet, maybe dubbed anime will die in the next 5 years, and we'll be back to the fansub stoneage.

I've held myself back a lot before wanting to say something like this. But. Have any of you guys ever wondered why live-action foreign films (think like Pan's Labyrinth) are almost always released sub-only, and why there is never *any* kind of movement to dub them?

Well, why *shouldn't* anime be treated the same way? Hell, if nothing else, that kind of treatment really is what BVUSA is aiming for. And if you can't deal with it, well guess what, you are *not entitled to something you don't understand.*

Anime and live-action are not the same thing. Anime is dubbed to begin with in Japan. Don't let your head explode from that paradox.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Anime and live-action are not the same thing. Anime is dubbed to begin with in Japan.

Um, not 'dubbed', but voiced in the original language of where it's created. Same as any other foreign film that makes its way to the US is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Zilveari wrote:
Sweet, maybe dubbed anime will die in the next 5 years, and we'll be back to the fansub stoneage. Back in the GOOD days of anime fandom when everything was fansubbed, most of your collection was third/fourth generatin VHS or older.

I won't miss dubs, nor dubbies. Eventually the anime fad will end, and dubs will go on the decline, companies will lose money and get into trouble.

Hence 4kidz and their repeatedly dead sales growth.
Yeah, except that in your scenario, without licensing money coming in from the now dead North American companies, Japanese companies won't have the money to produce all those series to fill our HDD's with fansubs, meaning less anime, less interesting anime (i.e. less Haibane Renmei/Ergo Proxy/Mushishi, more Da Capo, Tokimeki Memorial, Gift Eternal Rainbow, etc.). or possibly no anime at all. And if fansubbing does theoretically cause the demise of all North American companies, do you really think the Japanese companies will sit there and let fansubbers run rampant? It hasn't broken the news yet, but action is already being taken.

As for the actual topic: I don't think this means the end of BVUSA -- it just means they need to find another distributor, and there are others like ADV and Funimation who have distributed for smaller companies in the past, such as ADV with AnimeNation's Risky Safety, or Funimation with AN's Hare Guu. For now though, I continue to not buy any of BVUSA's releases, for the simple reason that none of them, aside from Galaxy Angel Rune and maybe Gunbuster, hold that much interest for me. At least not enough interest for me to pay that price. But since I have not seen any of their series through illegal means, I feel no moral obligation to support them, either.
Tumalu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

Anime and live-action are not the same thing. Anime is dubbed to begin with in Japan.

Um, not 'dubbed', but voiced in the original language of where it's created. Same as any other foreign film that makes its way to the US is.

Part of the issue with dubbing live action may just be that the lip movement won't match right, whereas with anime, it doesn't even tend to match quite right in its original language. But it's not like live action movies don't get dubbed in other countries. Many English movies do indeed get dubbed in Japan and elsewhere.

Furthermore, just as people aren't entitled to something that they "don't understand," they also have no obligation to buy what they don't understand. There's a difference between refusing to buy Bandai Visual USA's dub-less releases and thinking that one is entitled to dubs from them. And in the same token, dub-fans have every right to complain about the lack of a dub just as sub fans have the right to complain when certain companies don't include the Japanese track and subs. When it comes to what kind of entertainment is made available to them, people aren't entitled to anything.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering. Are they allowed to work with another distributor, or are they still bound by any possible contracts with Geneon?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
My problem with BVUSA is they've released quite a few series that have gotten good reviews, and normally, seeing as how several are from genres I normally enjoy, I'd have gone off and bought them... dub-less doesn't bother me, but 1-2 eps for 40-50 USD is really pushing it... especially when ADV's 3 eps for 30 USD retail bugs me (though I can easily get them for 20 USD at any number of brick-and-mortar or online stores).
If they'd release the same number of eps for 20-25 USD, I'd almost be willing to buy it at retail, if the video quality was good enough (though, again, you'd find it for less at most online stores).
But what bothers me most, is those interviews from the recent con season, where they seemed genuinely confused about people being incensed with the pricing scheme. Honestly, why did they think they could come into our pre-existent market, release less episodes per disc, with no dub, at a higher price than every other company, and not get complaints? Again, the dub issue doesn't bother me as much as it might others, but seriously...

If they'd just lower their prices, I'd probably buy several of their releases... here's hoping they eventually do.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

The reason live action is rarely dubbed is because it looks terrible because of the lip movements. With Anime this is not a problem. So what exactly are you saying here? I don't want to jump to conclusions but it kinda comes of as very elitist anti-dub. What exactly do you mean? I have trouble following your reasoning since I see the awnser to "why shouldn't anime be treated the same way?" as: becuase it doesnt have the problem of live action that forces us to do so.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering. Are they allowed to work with another distributor, or are they still bound by any possible contracts with Geneon?
Makes no difference as one half of any contract would expect Geneon to be in business to distribute. Now that they will stop distributing I would presume that voids any distribution contract as well at the same time as they cease.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
Anyone else feeling a sense of deja vu right now? What Bandai Visual is doing right now is a lot like what Bandai Entertainment did nearly 10 years ago with Anime Village.

-Online only
-Sub only
-Limited release
-Few episodes per volume

However, this time I doubt the demand will come through to bring the releases into stores again. If people were happy with the way things were handled then it would have never come to this.

As for this newly sparked sub vs. dub debate; nearly all live action foreign films I've seen, be it from Asia or Europe, have been dubbed. In fact I find it harder to find a domestic martial arts flick that is sub only than I do bilingual. Talk about a moot point, it's like saying anime is rarely dubbed because Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence was sub only. Rolling Eyes For these companies the choice to make something sub only is purely about saving money and nothing more. It isn't about artistic integrity, it's about the bottom line. If it wasn't about the money then you wouldn't have anime like Karin getting crappy Singapore dubs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
If BVUSA goes belly-up, it will have been their own damn fault.

And watch dot-anime charge full retail prices, meaning you won't even be able to use Amazon or Deepdiscount to escape.
Desslar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Live action foreign films are regarded as having more artistic credibility, and thus there's more emphasis on keeping them as authentic as possible.

Anime is mostly aimed at kids, who care more for ease of understanding than authenticity. Plus you can't see the original performers, so the audience doesn't really build a close connection with them.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

BV USA is just BV Japan's misbegotten attempt to cut out the middlemen and funnel the proceeds from the American anime craze directly into its own pocketbooks. [/i]

I thought part of the idea behind Bandai Visual was to release pretty durned close to the Japanese release date, thus we're being treated like Jpaanese fans-obscenely high prices.

And I just ordered Super Robot Wars 2 days ago & have already watched my Demon Prince Enma many times. Maybe they'll go under, or maybe they're pricing to sell to the collectors.
james039

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
I think BV USA will be successful with their formula, because although 80% of the people will balk at their high prices and/or no dub, the other 20% who are willing to buy the product at the high prices will net with BV breaking even or profiting on their titles anyway. I for one, have already purchased the Gunbuster OVA set from them, as well as the first two volumes of G.A Rune, with the other two already pre-ordered. I am really happy with the quality of their releases, which is on par with the excellent quality that generally comes on R2 releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3