• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the bit off topic question but, did everyone that is commenting on Fate/Zero watch it on niconico? Because I can't find it there anywhere.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
As Gia linked, it can be found here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1317450438
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
yeah I got it now, tried a different link before and it didn't work. Thanks though.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero looks good, and I want to watch it, but have not seen the original series. I understand that they are trying to make it still accessible to those who haven't, but I am more interested in just either watching the original anime or playing the VN first. Which would be better recommended?
Skullface

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Fate/Zero looks good, and I want to watch it, but have not seen the original series. I understand that they are trying to make it still accessible to those who haven't, but I am more interested in just either watching the original anime or playing the VN first. Which would be better recommended?

VN is better
the anime only covers one of the 3 routes that are in the visual novel and the routes not covered in the anime are better imo
but it does take a long time to finish the VN lol
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
From my pov..........F/Z spent far far too long establishing stuff quite a few people already know.

Even if it's for the sake of newcomers, I think 20-30 minutes of exposition woulda been enough.

My interest in this series is solely revolved around Caster and Lancer. Caster could really use some animation to elaborate on what he does. And Lancer....holds two lances.

Yes, considering it is going to be a 24 series t.v. anime it was completely wasteful to spend the WHOLE first episode explaining the setup for the holy grail war. However will they have time to actually show the action in it? I can only hope that for the rest of the anime they do not speak at all and just attack each other randomly.

tldr,

If you want a shitty fate/stay night story that is rushed and is all action and w/e without full explaining things go see Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Hahhaha. UBW was just action-scene after action-scene. While it was cool, it was in no way coherent. The first ep of F/Z was pretty much the polar opposite. I did like them both quite a bit though,
nokishoff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Ha

The picture in the "Recent Articles" section has already made the fall season a disappointment for me. My first quick glance at the picture instantly got my hopes up there was a new season of Gunslinger Girl I didn't know about. Does that look kind of like Triela or is it just me?

To be serious though the "Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight" already gave me enough information to make me think I will not enjoy any of the new titles this season. Sad
Bastille

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
The F/SN anime is passable in giving you an understanding of the series but, in terms of actually grasping what F/SN is as a whole, it is quite terrible. The visual novel has three routes to it, with the anime following the first one while mixing in portions of the other two here and there. The end result was entertaining when they did get things right, laughable on average, and grating at worst (CG DRAGONS, HO!). The UBW movie was better but, at the same time, still flawed. Due to its short duration, a lot of content was ignored which left basically a highlight reel of the route. That said, the alternative, in reading the entire visual novel, is quite lengthy so if all you want is a quick version of F/SN, your best bet would be to watch the two hour-long recap episodes for the anime that were released alongisde UBW.

I found the first episode of Zero to be awesome, though I can see why people would complain about the talking if they're the kind of people who can't handle reading.

nokishoff wrote:
Ha

The picture in the "Recent Articles" section has already made the fall season a disappointment for me. My first quick glance at the picture instantly got my hopes up there was a new season of Gunslinger Girl I didn't know about. Does that look kind of like Triela or is it just me?

After the disappointment that was season 2? I'd rather get that redone to the standards of season 1 than a new one, unless it could fix the mistakes made in it.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
The problem is that the entire episode is talking about stuff people already know, or stuff that'll probably be explained again in later episodes.......................

Great for those who know zilch about this and never bothered looking at the previous anime or VN though.

But even then, they coulda easily done the same amount of things in 20-25 minutes. Parts detailing the backstory of some of the characters were well done though.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Not bad, yea a little wordy but I don't think its overdone. I think Fate/Zero episode one was fairly solid and overall the show looks promising. This show and Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) are really the only 2 shows I'm looking forward to for this season.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
Zac, I can tell that you didn't watch the original HxH series when you made a comment like this:

Quote:
with the original show's bright neon color palette softened down to pastels and earthtones

Cause the remake is attempting to be as faithful to the original series art/colors as is possible by digital means. Only the Greed Island OVAs (which were done digitally and not by cel like the rest of the franchise) could be said to have a bright neon color palette.

Actually, I have a good comparison to the two here:

On the left is the new version and the right is the old. As you can see, they can't quite mimic the awesome dark colors of the original, but they make an attempt.

That said, I enjoyed your review. It is funny you mention that about Gon's father abandoning him though, because the anime neglected to show the scene where Mito tells Gon that she lied, and that Ging never abandoned him. She herself was the one who drove Ging away. Then Gon smiles at her and tells her that he knew she was lying because she could never look him in the face when she said that.

Other than the crucial flashback (Kaito) and that scene mentioned above being missing, I enjoyed the remake. It's not as good as the original series, but I understand they're not going to reinvent the wheel, there will be changes made.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
HxH is airing already?!

I'm not sure if remaking HxH was a brilliant move or a big big mistake. Unlike Fullmetal Alchemist, where the first anime sucked(after the halfway point), HxH was loved by almost everyone, it was well received and VERY faithful to the manga. And unlike FMA, where it did the beginning right, but sucked after the halfway point, HxH is the complete opposite!

While it didn't exactly suck, the beginning(pre-Hunter Exam) was easily HxH's weakest point. And unlike FMA, HxH was pretty faithful all throughout the adaptation.

So...how long will it take for him to get to where the OVA left off?
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
HxH is airing already?!

I'm not sure if remaking HxH was a brilliant move or a big big mistake. Unlike Fullmetal Alchemist, where the first anime sucked(after the halfway point)[i]

You're in the minority in this opinion...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Gingin wrote:
HxH is airing already?!

I'm not sure if remaking HxH was a brilliant move or a big big mistake. Unlike Fullmetal Alchemist, where the first anime sucked(after the halfway point)[i]

You're in the minority in this opinion...

Na, most people who read the manga don't like the second half of the original FMA and they pretty much hated the ending too. I think only some none manga readers like the first anime better than FMA:BH.

for those people who hating talking and just want action. They should watch first 5 eps of FSN and then watch the UBW movie.

I never like HxH. Theron Martin is right it should be good for kids. Since there are alot of better anime this season, i will probably don't have time to watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 43