• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Satisfaction Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
What a convenient time to set up a poll concerning Geneon.

I'm just wondering is this all for fun OR will this poll be viewed by Geneon or any other companies?

Is this a survey from ANN or from Geneon? If it is from Geneon, they're just making me lose more faith in them since they're talking about series not being released for a long time and asking for a final evaluation.

Last edited by ichiro3923 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
What a convenient time to set up a poll concerning Geneon.

I'm just wondering is this all for fun OR will this poll be viewed by Geneon or any other companies?

Well, since I'm not hiding the results, I guarantee the other companies will look at them.

-t
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see geneon keep bring over anime i look at my recent buys and the majority of them are geneon. I saw most of the first via fan subs, i got them on dvd as quickly as my cash supply would allow.

I'm looking forward to R1 dvds for nanoha, and i'd like to finish higurashi and rozen. I hope things are resolved soon.

*edit* also it does depend on the company that will release the titles, i'd love to see tsri maybe bandai do the releases, tsri is best of the best in my view. and bandai has impressed me with haruhi and eureka 7.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Pioneer used to be a great name in the industry, but it seems to me that shortly after switch to Geneon the company started heading downhill.

I'm sad to see them going out, and infuriated that we still have no resolution on unreleased DVDs for unfinished (or not-even-started) series -- but they have been a decent company on a long downhill trend. I've been questioning the status of the company ever since Rightstuf's Geneon blowout a while back -- I can't see that sale as anything but a loss for Rightstuf unless the loss was being taken by Geneon, which is the only way I've ever been able to make sense of it.

That I can recall, Bandai is the only other company that sale happened for, and that sale was aborted halfway through, I imagine due to a sudden outbreak of common sense.

Edit: I commend Geneon for going out on a limb and licensing a lot of niche titles, and I will still gobble them up (namely Higurashi, Rozen Maiden, and Nanoha) if they are released, but I'm not commited to buying anything right now until I can see that the entire series is released.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:

That I can recall, Bandai is the only other company that sale happened for, and that sale was aborted halfway through, I imagine due to a sudden outbreak of common sense.

last year adv's big sale ended early.

edit- i've got preorders pending on fate/stay, higurashi, and rozen 2, and i'll keep them in place untill tsri tells me otherwise

-Gabe

Last edited by rankothefiremage on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
So was this poll made at Geneon's request or of ANN's own free will?

Personally, Geneon has never let me down in R1 fashion. All of the DVDs I have bought from them have been expertly encoded. I've never gotten a faulty DVD from them. Granted I've never been keen on their LE lottery but I can make peace with that. They put out the moe titles and they do it with pride. I will greatly miss them.
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
TriezGamer wrote:

last year adv's big sale ended early.

edit- i've got preorders pending on fate/stay, higurashi, and rozen 2, and i'll keep them in place untill tsri tells me otherwise

-Gabe

Thanks for that. I tend to lose track, I'm rather scatterbrained Confused
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:

Thanks for that. I tend to lose track, I'm rather scatterbrained Confused

<<< i have a good memory

-Gabe
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

Splitter wrote:

Everything we do is of our own free will.
ichiro3923

Splitter wrote:

Personally, Geneon has never let me down in R1 fashion. All of the DVDs I have bought from them have been expertly encoded. I've never gotten a faulty DVD from them. Granted I've never been keen on their LE lottery but I can make peace with that. They put out the moe titles and they do it with pride. I will greatly miss them.

The only thing I wasn't satisfied about is the casing/DVD case for the Hellsing DVD. I open it and try to remove the disc from the case but it requires alot of force that I feel like I'm about to bend and break the fragile disc.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

As Zac said, everything we do is of our own free will.

But to answer the question you intended to ask, no, this survey was not requested by Geneon, the first question was to help support a point I was trying to make in another thread, and I figured the other questions made it interesting.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised by the results of the last question, I expected a bit more negativity.

-t
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:

Edit: I commend Geneon for going out on a limb and licensing a lot of niche titles, and I will still gobble them up (namely Higurashi, Rozen Maiden, and Nanoha) if they are released, but I'm not commited to buying anything right now until I can see that the entire series is released.

Any company with the balls to license Koi Kaze has major respect from me. Same thing with Nanoha!
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Any company with the balls to license Koi Kaze has major respect from me. Same thing with Nanoha!

never saw koi kaze but i can't agree more with nanoha, i hope to have a set of R1 StrikerS dvds someday.

-Gabe
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Koi Kaze itself is very controversial because it involves a topic that is taboo and it handles said topic in a very serious way (Incest) However, Koi Kaze is recognized to be one of the Best Performances to come out of Patrick Seitz in an anime dub. Geneon itself, is a fantastic company and it's going to suck bigtime now that they arent around anymore.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I already own the two Higurashi DVDs that have been released, and will step in line for the Nanoha DVDs once someone announces a release date.

All I care about is that someone (be it Geneon itself or another company willing to take the reins) steps up and settles this matter so the titles they have will continue to be sold, or continue to be on track to land on store shelves. How am I supposed to recruit haibane fans if I can't point them to DVDs they can buy? What would I say when someone asks me why my laptop is named "Club Cyberia"? How am I supposed to figure out why someone was willing to make A's Combat Zero if I can't watch Nanoha & Nanoha A's?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5