• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NY Int'l Children's Film Fest Screens The Cat Returns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
You know as much as I love Whisper of the Heart, I have never seen The Cat Returns. I need to move it back up to my priority list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Great news, The Cat Returns is one my favorite Miyazaki films!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
You know as much as I love Whisper of the Heart, I have never seen The Cat Returns. I need to move it back up to my priority list.

^^ I definitely suggest you see it. It's a bit generic compared to other Ghibli films, but the animation is beautiful and it's a really fun movie, too. One of the best anime films for kids out there, I think. (Hmm, I should try bringing it with me one day to work...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

^^ I definitely suggest you see it. It's a bit generic compared to other Ghibli films, but the animation is beautiful and it's a really fun movie, too. One of the best anime films for kids out there, I think. (Hmm, I should try bringing it with me one day to work...)

Whisper of the Heart is a very lovely Ghibli production, very warm and moving without being angsty or saccharine. It's up there on my faves.

The Cat Returns, on the other hand, is a cute but ultimately forgettable flick that's best suited for kids--this was the first Ghibli movie to ever disappoint me.

While some may recommend Cat, I don't. I strongly suggest sticking with Whisper--it has more magic and a more tangible story.

-Jon T.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
And make sure you stay through the end credits. Tsuji Ayano's acoustic ukelele song is fabulous Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1