• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Slam Dunk Basketball Scholarship Awarded

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickeyv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
Well i think its cool and all, but doesn't it contradict what he protrayed in the manga and the anime. As in when Aizan tells Rukawa that its too early to go to the States for basket ball and that it can destroy an athlete, as per the example of the case of the student he gave.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
i lol at this
i really do
vickeyv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i lol at this
i really do

Yeah same here dude
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this is an indescribably bad idea. That poor kid is gonna get to the States and find that everyone that plays basketball here is a foot taller and 70 pounds heavier than he is.

Japanese baseball may be at the point where their best can stand with America's best (i.e. Matsui et. al.), but basketball? I'm no sports fan, but didn't their olympic team fail to even qualify?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: I've seen plenty of short Russian kids who knew how to play b-ball. Height ain't everything. Look at Shaq. Rolling Eyes
mrboldy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
height does play a role in basketball but being short doesn't necessary mean that your gonna get pwn lol
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Oh man, this is an indescribably bad idea. That poor kid is gonna get to the States and find that everyone that plays basketball here is a foot taller and 70 pounds heavier than he is.

Apparently, not his first experience with American basketball, so, certainly would not be easy, but he's also not somebody they just grabbed off the street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
mrboldy wrote:
height does play a role in basketball but being short doesn't necessary mean that your gonna get pwn lol

Unless you're a 6' 4" Center or something, like my high school's basketball team was like back in the day. Yeah, you've got some problems there. Wink
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

Apparently, not his first experience with American basketball, so, certainly would not be easy, but he's also not somebody they just grabbed off the street.
your wording doesn't make since
but i also lol at the fact that probably the only ANN staff member to comment on this if from Indiana and if you don't know why thats funny slap your self and go watch Hoosiers
duo05001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm from CT and I know about South Kent my friend who now plays for Marquette went there and they produce some of the best college plays in the country. Also one of those players, plays for the Miami Heat (Dorell Wright, went form SK to the NBA) so I think this guy has to have some game but I can't see him being a major D1 player.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it have been better to announce the winner of the scholarship after he passed the school's interview? I mean, it would be just a little ironic if after all this he wasn't accepted to the school.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I think it's actually a pretty cool thing he's doing. The man loves the sport of basketball and he loves his country and he'd like to give promising young Japanese athletes a chance.

I think the fact that people are "lolling" at this really shines some light on why what Inoue is doing is important.

Most Americans probably assume that all Japanese are short and frail meek people (at least if you go by the responses on this board). They can't imagine them playing basketball. But like any where else in the world, Japan is full of a variety of people. I'm sure there are plenty of kids there with the potential to be good players, it's just that there's no real industry for them to go into and get the proper training.

If Inoue can help just one Japanese kid realise his dream of playing pro basketball, that won't just totally change that kids life, it'll change how people view Japan and the Japanese race in general. Kinda like how Yao Ming has done lots of good in representing China here in the states.

I know most people just come here for fun and post for laffos. But please, think a little bit before you make wide sweeping comments about an entire race of people.

The way I always look at it is like this: Would you make generlizations about black people and laugh about it? Probobly not. So why make generilzations about people of other backgrounds?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
nobi: Yeah, it's really sweet of Inoue to give up his time to give a major opportunity to one of his fans-or at least one of his prodigies.
kikkoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, this is what love is. Inoue is a man full of love.

Reading that Japanese player's quotes it seems coaching is the most important thing. China had the tallest Olympic basketball team and still didn't do that great and there's much criticism on their coaching. I want to say Yao Ming has criticized it... but can't find any direct sources.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
duo05001 wrote:
I can't see him being a major D1 player.

What's Drifiting have to do with Basketball?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2