• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Philosophical/Psychological recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolRHN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey, this is my first post, so go easy on me. I've been an anime fan since the early 90s when I first started watching DragonBall & DBZ, but as I've matured and entered my mid twenties, I'm looking for things a bit more complex. I've recently watched Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, both of which I give my highest accolades. Thing is, now I'm in a rut because I can't find anything even remotely close in quality or plot. I'm looking for something with a serious bent, high on political and philosophical drama, preferably military style gunfights and tactics, and an overall storyline that leaves your mind blown after it's over. If anyone has any hints, I'd be most appreciative.

Oh yeah, I've seen Cowboy Bebop, which I also rate highly, so no need for recommendations there, and outlaw star was pretty good too. Anyway, I just wanted to save you the trouble.

Thanks for your time.

[EDIT: Adjusted your topic to make things a little easier. Also, please use the Edit button if you want to add something to your posts Wink. -TK]

Last edited by SolRHN on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hm.. seeing as you like military, one title that shoots off the top of my head (though discontinued on DVD, now) is:

Zipang -- I wrote the plot summary myself and would recommend it if you're into the whole Butterfly Effect theory (time travel, in this particular case). It's not so much about effects of changing history, but more so the hardship and decisions made by the crew that ultimately make such an entertaining plot. Some people claim the series has the potential for a lot of Japanese nationalism, but they obviously haven't seen this series if they're making statements like that.

Personally, I just see it as an excellent piece of science fiction with a lot of drama, and maybe enough philosophical undertones if you want to interpret some of the plot twists and events in that fashion. There's a lot of WWII history involved as well, so maybe you'll like that too, if you're a fan of that sort of thing.
--------------------------

I'm not sure if you're looking for more action-oriented stuff like BL or dialogue-heavy titles like GitS: SAC. But I can think of a few more pending on your response. Let me know what you think. And welcome to the forums Smile.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend RahXephon. It is technically a mecha show, by there's plenty of philoshopical issues taht are dealt with throughout the series. A lot of time is also spent on the psychological ramifications of what's happening, but most of that ends up being internalized character dialogue. Plenty of action, fairly serious, and a touch of romance to round everything out.

The thin pack is still readily available and fairly cheap. And is is one of ADV's few thinpack releases to retain all the extras. Go check it out. :)
SolRHN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
thank you, and thank you. That recommendation sounds good. As far as action vs. dialogue, I like both about equal. Thing is, if it's action heavy, there has to be an underlying story/plot point involving major character development. If's it's dialogue heavy, the sparse action sequences should be top notch and riveting, and the dialogue never turning about in endless circles like a lot seem to do. I know it's a tall order, but to put a case-in-point to this, my favorite show of all time is Babylon 5 (I know it's not anime, but I'm making a point here). The story is rich, the dialogue is witty, philosophical, full of intriguing technobabble, and the action is awesome (with the occasional john wayne cheesey moment that just gets ignored.) I guess, I'm just looking for perfection within a broad genre (sci-fi, philosophical, political intrigue, action/adventure). Anyway, thanks for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Some people claim the series has the potential for a lot of Japanese nationalism, but they obviously haven't seen this series if they're making statements like that.

Kawaguchi is well-known for his right wing stance, way before Zipang franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SolRHN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Conservatism and liberalism both have their place. I'm resopnsible with my own politics, and I stand with no party or extreme, so I'm pretty sure I can handle and filter, and understand as an observer without getting drawn in gullibly, or push it away ignorantly. I'm just looking for some good shows. Thanks.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
For the philosophical aspect I'd recomend mystery series such as:

Monster-Revolves arround Doctor Kenzo Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon working in Germany. His life is going great and he's on the fast track to success, that is until he, after being fed up with his boss playing politics instead of proper medical procedure, saves the life of a boy shot in the head. He loses his upcomming promotion as well as his fiance because of this but shortly after his boss and co-workers are murdered which brings him to a top position in the hospital. However, this also makes him the prime suspect in their deaths. He becomes a fugative in order to clear his name and hunt down the real murderer, chased by a hired killer, a workaholic German BKA agent, and his ex-fiance.

Kaze no Yojimbo-When a mysterious drifter named George Kodama comes to the town of Kimujuku looking for someone he only finds trouble. He's inadvertently drawn into a battle between two warring gangs as he searches for clues and tries to play both sides against the middle to get what he wants, and soon finds out that the town and it's people have many secrets they'd rather keep.

When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koroni)-A horror/mystery revolving arround Keichi who moves to the small town of Himenizawa he soon makes friends with his fellow classmates Mion, Rena, Satoko and Rika and joins their club where they play various games. However, Keichi soon learns that the town has a bloody past in which durring the night of a local festival every year somebody dies and another disappears as well the fact his newfound friends all have some connection to the murders. This one is set up uniquely with a series of "Question" arcs and then co-responding "answer" where new light is shed on the situation. It also has a sequel series, Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai as well which is currently running in Japan and just as great if not better.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Solrhn wrote:
I'm just looking for some good shows.

In the end, I think your entire post basically comes down to this, heh. Good story telling, quick action without drawn on fight scenes, a solid philosophy behind it and good drama and interaction between characters. You just peppered it with a few genres you'd like to see Wink

I'd love to help, but it's tough to add something with a bit of everything you stated. Hmm..

Besides what is already posted, and you mentioned you've already seen, I'll say Gungrave. Two parts intense mafia action/drama, one part sci-fi action. The story revolves around Brandon Heat and his friend Harry Mcdougal as they try to leave their street thug lives and join the mafia(actual word I forget, syndicate, mafia, organization...whatever). It had some of the strongest moments ever in an anime, or any media for that matter, and blew me away. I really did love watching the story unfold and the characters were very strong throughout the series. It's a bit hard to bring up specifics since it has been awhile since I've watched it though...

It's dark, brutal but satisfying. It feels like you become a member along with the two young men and you want their organization/factions to always win. This anime IS based off a game, hence the sci-fi/super natural action for about 1/3 of the episodes.(The game only deals with this part of the story) I can't really say it fits or it doesn't fit, however, I liked it. I've heard opposite ends on this that some people would love the story to continue on without it and some couldn't watch it without these episodes. I really do think it's something ANYONE should atleast look into if you like some action mixed in with your more mature themed stories.

If you give it a try, be sure to watch ATLEAST the first two episodes. Unless you absolutely hate the first episode for some reason, you gotta give it atleast one more or you don't quite get a "complete picture".
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Solrhn wrote:
I'm looking for something with a serious bent, high on political and philosophical drama, preferably military style gunfights and tactics, and an overall storyline that leaves your mind blown after it's over. If anyone has any hints, I'd be most appreciative.

definately the Full Metal Panic series, alot of gunfights, military style and convert operations. there is also some political issues mainly war, terrorist and kidnappings. 2 of the seasons rank top 50 on ANN and the other one isnt far off. season 3 has the most action, season 2 is comedy and season 1 is the introduction and has combined both. i recommend all 3

Code Geass is ranked 15 on ANN and has a very intriguing plot starting from episode one there is never a dull moment. largely involved with political issues and packed with action. the world is nearly taken over by an empire when lelouch who has a dark past and a thirst for revenge. Story is about a 17 year old student lelouch who just acquired a new power called geass. he has the power to give anyone any one command.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Over the past few months, I've been watching Zeta Gundam, I had to rewatch it because it was too heavy going and complex. Unlike the newer Gundam titles, Zeta is battle intensive, almost non-stop fighting with strong, dark, serious and complex characters. It is very exhausting to watch, I am still not recovered enough to seriously pick up a new title. If you like the military, this is it. However, I think it is not as philosophical and psychological as some other titles like Rurouni Kenshin (TV series). Rurouni Kenshin is historical, highly political, philosophical and psychological. However, there is very little gun battle, it concentrates on swordsmenship and skills. It does instill Japanese patriotism and nationalism.

You might also want to try Evangelion. It is Military, Philosophical and Psychological. It is also heavy going and you will most likely have to watch it a second time and slowly.

Fullmetal Alchemist is enjoyable and I did not find it to be as complex as Zeta Gundam and Evangelion.

I have not watched ZIPANG and When They Cry but these look like titles that would interest me. I also love anime with military, philosophical and psychological themes.
TomBalbino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
If your interested in films revolving around political and philosophical themes than you needn't look very far. Simply watch anything by Mamoru OSHII, the man who created and conceptualized Ghost in the Shell. He is by far my favorite director and in my mind an absolute genius. Some of the movies he has created I know you will absolutely love such as The Ghost in the Shell movies(if you haven't seen them already), Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, and both Patlabor 1/2. All of these are excellent films. If you are looking for something thought provoking, violent in nature but not in its message, and filled with political intrigue than look no further than Mamoru OSHII's work.

As for Gungrave it is an absolutely fabulous series. However I don't believe it fits in the political realm. Its much more about the relationship of two close friends than it is about any grand political scheme. It's a highly personal experience that in the end is extremely bittersweet but the plot itself is to unreal to be taken seriously as a psychological film.

We'll hopefully you try out those movies and enjoy them as much as I did. Ill also be sure to try out Zipang and Zeta Gundam, both of those look very cool. Also isn't it ironic that on an Anime forum the spellchecker disregards anything foriegn?;p

Oh and also don't forget Ergo Proxy which is highly psychological, mildly political.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Gasaraki is my favorite underrated series. It's distinguished by its brooding tone, which it carries to the point where it seems like nothing is happening for long stretches of time. However, if you're interested in political machinations, you'll find that there's a lot going on here. Some weak characterizations, and a few episodes that could be cut in terms of overall structure, but it's a solid lesser-known series.
SolRHN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for your time and effort. This is an amazing list. A couple I've been privy to in the past, such as ruroni kenshin, and full metal panic (most of the first season), and I enjoy those shows, but the others also sound great. Thank you all, a lot.
Murrice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, almost all anime I've ever seen are in this topic....except one.

Geneshaft. It revolves around miltary questions and the future of mankind, with some, err...mecha fights, you could say. Very Happy

It made me think quite a bit after it was over, not THAT mind-blowing, but I enjoyed it. Also, it's only 13 episodes long Very Happy

And, of course, as it has already been said here, Evangelion if you haven't seen it! Wink[/b]
SolRHN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have the second volume of geneshaft that I picked up randomly out of a bargain bin here in town and I thought it was cool, but I've kinda forgoten about it since. Thanks for the reminder. I'm also aware of evangelion, but I've only sen the first two episodes. It's on my list, but not high priority. Maybe I'm expressing this too much, but thanks again for all the efort to help me find something satisfying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5