• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Chick Habit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
The price for a Naruto box lists at $50. Why is the same company (Viz) charging more ($90) for Bleach?
Because they can. Ooo, they're giving us a "premium" box. Yeah. You're ripping me off because if I want Bleach, I'll pay it or I can do without, so I pay it & grumble.

...Or maybe because it's $50 for 13 episodes versus $90 for 20 episodes? (And the Bleach set doesn't have new material, unlike the cut/uncut Naruto DVDs, so if you don't want to pay that much for the box you can buy the individual discs instead. Though the list price for that would be $125...so how's anyone being ripped off here, exactly?)
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Xenofan:
Quote:
It could be argued that beneath the surface, the women in Eva are weak people, and that they are under men's power in terms of hierarchy and political structure, but the men are weaker in every instance.

But the men still end up treating the women like crap, and come off less mentally disturbed, so I'd say it actually just enforces the otaku status quo.

But is it seen as good that they are treated "like crap"? Not for one second. Unless that particular treatment is seen as positive, or perhaps even neutral, then you'd have a case for "enforcing the otaku status quo". However, your case now reads something like "If A, then Z, because of Q."

(And you seriously think that Misato is less disturbed than Shinji or Gendo? Or how about Yui?)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
The price for a Naruto box lists at $50. Why is the same company (Viz) charging more ($90) for Bleach?
Because they can. Ooo, they're giving us a "premium" box. Yeah. You're ripping me off because if I want Bleach, I'll pay it or I can do without, so I pay it & grumble.

...Or maybe because it's $50 for 13 episodes versus $90 for 20 episodes? (And the Bleach set doesn't have new material, unlike the cut/uncut Naruto DVDs, so if you don't want to pay that much for the box you can buy the individual discs instead. Though the list price for that would be $125...so how's anyone being ripped off here, exactly?)

$3.84 per ep with the Naruto boxes vs $4.5 for Bleach. More specifically Naruto box 4 & 5 were $26.99 from the last Viz Right Stuf sales while Bleach came to $48.59 for 7 more eps. I'm paying $2.07 per ep for extra content Naruto & while that Bleach box came to $2.42 per ep with the same content as the original dvds.

No, I'm not being charged more, am I?
I expect Coke to cost more than Pepsi? I'm sorry. I expect Coke to cost more than Sprite considering we're talking similar product (shonen) from the same company?

The point being Viz obviously believes Bleach fans will pay more than the Naruto fans will which is how I'm being ripped off. But because I do want Bleach far more than Naruto, I'll pay it. They're going for what the market will bear

Gatsu-the thing is Gunbuster hasn't been subsidized by a US tv airing as Bleach & Naruto have. Bandai Visual is more like buying art-house titles. You pay more. I paid $30 or $35 for M & it was money well spent even though the movie was made in 1930. Most would balk at paying that for Transformers because Transformers made piles of money already so the dvd release will be icing on the cake. More specifically I saw Fantastic 4 2 for $14 this week, but the 1408 I wanted wasn't exactly that cheap-more like a buck or 2 more(I bought the $22 director's cut actually).
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Greetings. I caught the 'Chick Habit' posting of your column today. My thoughts are that the female market of the anime industry isn't marketed to as much as it could be both in the U.S. and Japan. I have a friend living in Nippon currently who laments a bit about the lack of entertaining anime actually geared toward women viewers. Female characters really are as someone (Zac maybe) pointed out made strong but extremely sexy or bubble headed, or just designed to pursue love interests instead of other things. I've never been a fan of fanservice-marketed shows (probably in the minority here) and have trouble at times trying to recommend stuff to female friends because so much is really geared towards male viewers. So, partially to give readers here some options and partially because I'd like to think this through for my own sakes, I decided to put together a list of anime I might show women and the reasonings for my choices. Up to about 20 of them for brevity. Fair warning: will not be limiting choices to titles available in the U.S. Here goes.

Noir - Fairly self-explanatory. Women can kill people too. The two leads are especially good at it while tracking down a conspiracy looming over their heads.

Only Yesterday - Studio Ghibli has been known to put females in strong roles from Nausicaa to Spirited Away, with Kiki's in between, all of which I'd also recommend to viewers who are women. However, I wanted to select one that simply looks at life from an adult female's POV though, so I went with this film.

Hataraki Man - This is an anime about the life and times of a female reporter and how she deals with her colleagues. It's done similarly to Ally McBeal with its "see what they're really thinking" style of humor. The lead character is fleshed out as a total person and that's one of the big reasons I'd recommend this show.

Rose of Versailles - Often mentioned in many circles, this story of a girl who's raised & trained as a boy and thrust into events leading to the French Revolution is always a good combination of drama, intrigue, action and examination of gender roles in society.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - Another fan favorite, though can be trippy with its fairy-tale-in-reverse fantasy style. It also has intrigue, action, and gender role examination but the artwork and themes make the show a bit hard to describe.

Card Captor Sakura - I have limited experiences with the magical girl genre, but I really liked seeing Sakura grow up and become more and more competent in a relatively short time in her young life.

Planetes - a young woman enters the debris retrieval arm of the space program and a pretty good scf-fi / drama develops.

Any film by Satoshi Kon - When coming up this list, it occurred to me the films he's made have had women in prominent positions as characters dealing with some rather difficult situations. Paprika, his most recent release, has a female taking on the world of dreams. Millennium Actress unveils a lady's total life. Perfect Blue depicts a harrowing time for its protagonist. Although there are three leads in Tokyo Godfathers, the most interesting one to me was a feminine - acting drag queen. The best of these IMHO was Millennium Actress, but I'd be happy to recommend any of these to my female friends for different reasons.

Slayers - The world's most powerful sorceress leads her crew on fun adventures.

Queen Emeraldas - Actually, there's better material regarding this character who's a space pirate, but much of it isn't available here or doesn't fcus on her as much. The OAV that's available in the U.S. does show her butt kicking abilities but the show itself is a bit weak. Still it serves as a good introduction until the rest of this series or Space Symphony Maetel are released here as well.

Read or Die - Yomiko Readman became a favorite of mine with her powers over paper and ability to deal with critical situations. Then again, maybe it's just my interest in bookworms shining through here, but I found RoD to be a very fun, original show.

Twelve Kingdoms - This was just recommended to me by a female friend when I'd told her I was writing this response. Seen other friends recommend it over the past couple years so will post here for right now.

Patlabor - I'm a really big fan of Noa Izumi, others seem to be fans of Kanuka Clancy or one of the other female characters but all in all, it's a fun show with competent women in lead roles dealing with mecha, cops and crime.

Nana - Pretty cool slice of life drama / comedy involving musician's life. I think most women would enjoy it.

Carried By The Wind: Tsukikage Ran - This focused on a female samurai (who lives for sake) and her sometimes-companion as they have fun short adventures in feudal Japan. Good action and comedy ensue.

Eh... kinda brain fried to write more descriptions but also believe female fans will find Bleach, Inuyasha, Haibane Renmei, and Maison Ikkoku entertaining.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just the odd man (don't let the name full ya, i am a guy) out when it comes to Anime. As i generally just watch to enjoy a good story. I've gotten so use to the "fan service" that i pretty much just ignore it now days. Seen one seen em all, you get calloused to it, to where it no longer matters or even bothers you i guess. At any rate it's the case for me.

While I'll defiantly agree that there are many Anime that seem to show women as the aforementioned two types of characters, I'd say there are plenty that don't. I'd even go as far to say that even in some of the more fan service friendly Anime, one can still find women who can do it all and still be a major plot of a character.

Lyar in Divergence Eve comes to mind. When compared to any other female in the series, she is hardly over the top, but for the story line is an exceptional character, with both strong leadership, and military know how. And before anyone tries to mention the "nude" scene in Misaki Chronicles with Lyar, keep in mind the Animators did their home work. As military can and do actually do that for victims of both frost bite and hypothermia. In medical terms it is the fastest and most reliable way to bring someones core temperature back to a stable zone out in the field. I'd wager some of the Anime crowd had no idea what she was doing, so maybe a few of you learned something new. Very Happy

The above poster mentioned both Noir, The Slayers, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Twelve Kingdoms, which are one of many Anime collections i own myself, and are good at what they do with out portraying women in a negative connotation. I'd also add such titles such as Scrapped Princess, Petite Princess Yucie (a truly great one), Nadia: Secret of Blue Water just to name a few more.

They are out there ladies, maybe not quite as dominant in number as others, but they are out there non-the-less and often some of the best ones as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9